Running your VPN

-LT-

Feb 1, 2018
The Base of Yggdrasil
Hey Everybody...LT here hoping you all are very well and in fine spirit.

I'd like to pose a question to the group of learned TVAddon folks.

As we are learning, running a VPN with whatever streaming devices you currently have
is very important these days. I am using IP Vanish and have been pretty pleased with it's
performance so far.

I see IP Vanish is now available as a Firestick application...Outstanding! I think they are
in the "Working the bugz out" stage Because I have to sometimes re-connect the VPN.
This is not a big deal however as long as it doesn't quit while I am streaming.

My question is, If I am running my VPN via the Firestick application, should I run the VPN
on my computer as well while I am streaming?...Will this make the protection better in any
way? I use the firestick via WiFi from my computer.

Thanks everybody, and keep up the good work! -LT-

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
If you are streaming from your firestick, run the VPN on your stick. If you stream from your laptop, run the VPN on the laptop. Running it on the laptop while streaming on the stick will have no effect good or bad WRT your streaming on the stick.

-LT-

Feb 1, 2018
The Base of Yggdrasil
Double R!...Thanks very much for your reply.

I understand what you're saying. The device you're using, is where you run your VPN.
I have a very simple set-up...Desk top computer, TV, Firestick. That's it. So, what I want
to know is, If the VPN is running on my Firestick, and I open the VPN app on my computer
the VPN puts me in 2 different locations. For instance, Firestick app has me in Ashburn,NY
with one IP while my Computer VPN app puts me in Atlanta,GA.with a second IP...Ya see?

So, is this double location a Good Thing?....Or does one cancel the other out? (Which
seems more likely) I'm thinking this may be a question for the folks at IP Vanish....lol

Last edited:

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
The location the VPN puts you to is only used by the device you are using. So double location is not applicable. It's not a bad thing but it doesn't help either.
The IP on your computer shows Atlanta, GA only when you use your computer it will not affect your stick. The IP on your stick shows Ashburn, NY only when you use your stick it will not affect your computer.

Barbalatte

Nov 7, 2018
Whilst we are on the subject. How does VPN actually work. Can someone xplain it step by step?
I would like to know if you need to set it up through the modem or not or is it just a webpage?

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
it is an app or executable in some cases. It can be run as a stand alone on your device or via your router. Not all router are capable of running a VPN though.

If you can run it through your router, your complete household will be protected through the VPN. If you run it as a stand alone, you will need to run it on every device you wish to protect.

Barbalatte

Nov 7, 2018
I have a brand new ASUS AC88. It should be ok running it that way? Is it some sort of setting on the modem though or will it be some sort of .exe file like you said?

pusb87

Aug 3, 2017
I have a brand new ASUS AC88. It should be ok running it that way? Is it some sort of setting on the modem though or will it be some sort of .exe file like you said?
your vpn provider should provide instructions on how to install on your router

as you have an asus router you should also look at merlins firmware which is based on asus firmware with enhanced features >> https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/about