Screwed up upgrade to Kodi 17.1 Need help

DonAmbrose

May 9, 2017
I was attempting to upgrade to Kodi 17.1, just using my android box (hiMedia), not my computer.

In Part 1 (Preparing for Upgrade) I completed steps 1 thru 5 and answered "no" at 5, when it asked whether to keep Indigo.

At that point nothing further happened. I didn't notice the sentence saying to wait a few minutes, got impatient and hit the return button. At that point, i got a new message saying it was "starting" and to 'Stand by". Since then it froze on this message. after about 5 min I tried hitting the arrow keys and return button but nothing further happened -- it was completely frozen.

So I turned the unit off and then on again. It appears that all my original Kodi content has been removed now, but i cannot find the cogwheel to start Part 3 (Add fusion Installer). I cannot find the Kodi page shown in the instructions with the cogwheel at the top left. I tried going to Systems, and then the Settings tab underneath, but that doesn't give me the same menu as i'm supposed to get after clicking on Systems Settings.

Can anyone offer help?
Thanks
Don

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
If you can't see what it shows on the tutorial, I would suggest you remove Kodi completely and start over. With a fresh start as you did, all your addons and settings are now gone anyway.

Go to the App Drawer on your Android box, select Kodi, select uninstall.

Then reinstall again from a known source such as the play store or Kodi.tv/download

DonAmbrose

May 9, 2017
Afraid I'm a real fish out of water here. I can't find anything that says App Drawer. The closest I can find is "My apps". But when I click on Kodi there, it just opens it up -- no options for uninstall.

DonAmbrose

May 9, 2017
Rob -- I was able to re-install Indigo. Then I went back and redid Part 1 of the 17.1 install. It went fine this time and i completed part 1 as on the tutorial. However, I still don't get the menu shown at the beginning of Part 3 (the one with the cogwheel at the top). Is there some other way to install fusion again?
Thanks
Don

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Last edited:

DonAmbrose

May 9, 2017
Hi Rob -- looks like I've finally got it working OK. I thought I might let you know what I ended up doing. I think the problem I had is that my skin was already Confluence -- and apparently that is why I could not get (and still can't get) the starting menu with the cogwheel that begins most of the tutorials.

Anyway, I went right to the second tutorial you mentioned (fusion-kodi-jarvis), and was able to install fusion. Then I reinstalled Indigo (not sure why the original tutorial instructs you to delete it at step 5). Then I went back to the original tutorial and was able to do parts 5 and 6 which reinstalled all the kodi content.

So I presume I now have 17.1 Krypton? I can't confirm this. When I go to the system menus there is no mention of krypton, jarvis, 16.1 or 17.1. In any event, TV episodes are coming up much faster now with no issues so far.

However, I still do not get the new starting menu with the cogwheel that appears on most of the tutorials, and when I go to my systems settings menu it still says confluence at the top. I guess this means I am still in the old skin? Is there a tutorial to convert from the old skin to the new one. Is this something I should do going forward? Perhaps if I had changed the skin at the beginning, it would all have been easier? :)

Thanks
Don

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
To find the version of Kodi you are using, go to Kodi settings>System Info At the bottom it will say the version. I suspect you are still on Jarvis if the skin wasn't changed. You can also go to your Kodi Settings and see if it says Interface. If it does, click it. You should now see a choice of skin and be able to select the correct skin called Estuary.