Send it all to external?

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
I've been trying to refrain from asking questions that might have already been asked or I can figure out myself thru trial & error, but this would be helpful. I want to send anything that takes up space to my external drive that can be sent there, but it seems like I never quite get the correct path to make it work. This will become necessary the more things I do on the aftv and within xbmc. Can someone drop a few hints or tips or point me to a good link? Seems like it would be easy but I dont have a lot of success when I setup those paths (get script errors) or it apparently seems to let me set it with no errors but then I cant find what i sent there? Should I be setting up specific folders on m external beforehand?
Like I said, ANY advice is welcomed. Even a bump in the right direction. Thanks.

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
I always appreciate any help. Thanks. Its a start but I think that guide basically tells you how to play videos from the external. I do that through upnp already but this is actually new info to me so it might get me closer. I want to run the fire tv with as much internal disc space as possible. I want to play all my emulators from there and download all thumbnails and everything else to there. I've been playing around with es file exlorer and root explorer and feel like I'm making some progress. The specific paths confuse me and i dont think im alone there based on a lot of questions i hear getting asked.

JJ-KwiK

May 5, 2014
I created an advancedsettings.xml file, to change where my thumbnails img's are store. It saves a bunch of space on my ftv. I created a folder on the root of my HDD named, "xbmcthumbnails", and used stickmount to mount the HDD to the FTV(which needs root access).

Create an advancedsettings.xml and place it in "Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/", and added the following:
Code:
<advancedsettings>
   <pathsubstitution>
      <substitute> 
         <from>/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails/</from>
         <to>/storage/emulated/0/usbstorage/sda1/xbmcthumbnails/</to>
      </substitute>
   </pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>
Works perfectly fine.

You can add the lines from your existing advancedsettings.xml file, if you have one, to this file. Just remember to put your additions within the <advancedsettings> tags. You can also use <pathsubstitution> for other files and folders within the xbmc directory, but I believe there are limitations. I believe you can't move the entire userdata folder, but I may be wrong.

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
Wow! That is way above and beyond what I was expecting. Thanks a lot for this!

Can I request a bit more help? I'm navigating to the location you specified above Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/
BUT mine is slightly different. I get Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files and then it's empty...
Do I need to create the user data? Sorry I'm new to advanced setings and just want to make sure I get it right.
Think I'm all set. Reading other posts--need a mouse to access hidden folders. Strange though cuz es file exp let's me do a lot with just the remote

Last edited:

crawl

May 7, 2012
Kansas City, MO
Wow! That is way above and beyond what I was expecting. Thanks a lot for this!

Can I request a bit more help? I'm navigating to the location you specified above Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/
BUT mine is slightly different. I get Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files and then it's empty...
Do I need to create the user data? Sorry I'm new to advanced setings and just want to make sure I get it right.
Think I'm all set. Reading other posts--need a mouse to access hidden folders. Strange though cuz es file exp let's me do a lot with just the remote
It's not empty. The folders/files are just hidden. You need to enable hidden files in whatever app you're using to browse those folders.

jakewalton4

Jul 22, 2013
Newcastle, UK
I had a similar problem on my Q7 Android box. I used FolderMount to mount the Addons and Addon Data folders to the internal storage which had more space. Note - this doesn't work for the whole userdata folder, or the thumbnails folder (use path substitution for that)

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
thanks. been real busy with other less fun stuff, but do remember reading about folder mount. The folders that were invisible in es explorer were actually visible in root explorer. But thats reallly about as far as I've got since my last post. The hdd im going to use has been occupied doing backups for clean installs but hopefully it will get to its destination on the aftv by the end of the week and I'm certain I'll have more questions and more to report.

jarcuri

Dec 9, 2013
Quick question. ... do you delete the old files from the original path or move them over? And if so what is the original path?

jarcuri

Dec 9, 2013
Lol and one more question, when we put the x ml in that directory does it automatically become the file or do we need to activate it in xbmc? I'm in the maintenance tool and don't see a way to activate it. I can turn on the zero cache and tuxes settings though

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
I'm actually hoping you get your answers cuz though I got this to work it was Definetly not by the book and I need to do it again. There should be an option to verify advanced settings I think somewhere in maintanance tools. Last time I tried I wound up successfully saving all thumbnails (add-on icons, movies, tv shows etc) and you could see them all saved to my thumbnails folder I created on external drive. But they wouldn't display in XBMC (no icons at all). So needed to undo it. Please report back if u get this working and let me know if you move,copy or maybe delete the existing thumbnails on internal sd.

crawl

May 7, 2012
Kansas City, MO
Quick question. ... do you delete the old files from the original path or move them over? And if so what is the original path?
Supposedly you can move them over. But I deleted the thumbnails from the source and let it recreate on my external so I could visually see that it was working.

The original path is /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails/

Be sure your permissions are correct on the folder on your external that you're copying to. You'll need write permission on the folder.

crawl

May 7, 2012
Kansas City, MO
Lol and one more question, when we put the x ml in that directory does it automatically become the file or do we need to activate it in xbmc? I'm in the maintenance tool and don't see a way to activate it. I can turn on the zero cache and tuxes settings though
My understanding is that XBMC will look for that file at each startup. If the file is there in the correct spot, XBMC will use it. You don't have to enable anything, it's as simple as having it in the right place and having the settings correct.

Be sure and completely restart XBMC after placing your xml file though.

jarcuri

Dec 9, 2013
My understanding is that XBMC will look for that file at each startup. If the file is there in the correct spot, XBMC will use it. You don't have to enable anything, it's as simple as having it in the right place and having the settings correct.

Be sure and completely restart XBMC after placing your xml file though.
Thanks a bunch for answering both questions [emoji2]

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
I feel like I've receive way too much help on this one subject but...something still aint right. I push the advance settings to the user data folder with "xbmcthumbnails" on my external. I restart XBMC and all my icons for the add ons are once again gone. I check the xbmcthumbnails on the external and a lot of it made it's way there but not everything. What is my next move here? Try and copy user dat thumbnails from internal to external?

JJ-KwiK

May 5, 2014
I feel like I've receive way too much help on this one subject but...something still aint right. I push the advance settings to the user data folder with "xbmcthumbnails" on my external. I restart XBMC and all my icons for the add ons are once again gone. I check the xbmcthumbnails on the external and a lot of it made it's way there but not everything. What is my next move here? Try and copy user dat thumbnails from internal to external?
Delete the Textures13.db file that's in the userdata/Database/ folder and restart.
Should be fine ;)

crawl

May 7, 2012
Kansas City, MO
Wait.... icons for the addons? As opposed to icons for the movies and TV shows themselves?

Those are separate things, if I'm remembering correctly. Maybe you have 2 issues happening here. Are the actual movie and TV show thumbnails working right?

If so, I'd suspect maybe a bad database file.

Try this.... it won't hurt anything, and might fix the issue....

Exit XBMC.

Navigate to /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/Database

Look for "TexturesXX.db".
The "XX" part will be a number like 14, 15, 16, something like that. Depends on the device. On mine it's Textures13.db. But anyway find the file with that format in the Database folder....

Copy that file to your computer to save as a backup.
Delete the file from the FireTV.

Start XBMC, and see if that fixes it. The file will be recreated by XBMC.

If it fixes it, then you're good to go. If it doesn't fix it, then you can copy it back to that location if you want.

Give that a try, it might fix your troubles...

JJ-KwiK

May 5, 2014
It will fix his problem. It's also what I said the post right above yours. lulz...
I'm assuming you started typing that out prior to my response.

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
Thankyou so much! I finally got it all working properly and if anything goes wrong I know how to get it back. Crawl, I appreciate your help as always but JJ was a little Kwikker...(lame) But seriously thanks a lot guys that was extremely helpful and easy.