May 17, 2012
hi guys i have recently bought a
Acer Aspire Revo RL70 Nettop PC

- AMD E450 1.65GHz
- 4GB RAM + 640GB HDD
- AMD Radeon HD 6320
- Wifi + HDMI
- Linux

looking to place xbmc onto it and use it as my home media center along with my av receiver to push out 5.1 audio and 1080i picture via my samsung 46inch led tv
i am thinking of having it to boot straight up on to xmbc when i turn it on so can someone please provide a how to link for me?
or should i leave it with linux on it

is there anything else i need to buy to get the most out of the set up that i am after?

podgey3874

May 17, 2012
Get a usb stick, minimum 1gb
Use this to create a bootable XBMCbuntu drive: http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/download
Boot from your newly created usb drive
Walk through the startup and you'll be given the chance to install XBMCbuntu to the hard disk.
great is that size usb stick big enough?
then copy that link to the drive once clicked on and opened put on to my usb then plug into my acer revo follow the guide and i am ready to go it it as simple as that?
whats diffrence between XBMCbuntu and OpenLec i am a newbie so tottaly confused
i want the best performance i can get

Last edited:

Bstrdsmkr

Mar 16, 2012
The program from that link will download everything necessary to turn your usb stick into a bootable drive capable of installing the linux distro you select (which it will walk you through). OpenElec is probably more performant, but the trade off is it's a little more advanced. They should have a guide at their site.

podgey3874

May 17, 2012
The program from that link will download everything necessary to turn your usb stick into a bootable drive capable of installing the linux distro you select (which it will walk you through). OpenElec is probably more performant, but the trade off is it's a little more advanced. They should have a guide at their site.
linux distro whats that?
so i just put the downloaded fie on to the usb plug in to my acer revo n a step bye step guide will help me do the rest?
i am struggling to understand openlecs guide any offers of help how to instal what i need?

Bstrdsmkr

Mar 16, 2012
linux distro whats that?
so i just put the downloaded fie on to the usb plug in to my acer revo n a step bye step guide will help me do the rest?
i am struggling to understand openlecs guide any offers of help how to instal what i need?
Like umOuch said, it's sort of equivalent to windows 7 vs vista vs xp. In your case the disrto would be either OpenElec or XBMCBuntu.

If you run that program, it will show you a 5 step window:
1. Select which drive is your usb stick
2. Tell it where to find your linux distro (choose download in this case). Then from the drop box, choose XBMCbuntu
3. Leave step 3 as is
4. Check the first two boxes only
5. Hit the lightning bolt.

From there boot your Revo box from the usb stick and it will walk you through the rest.

I've never installed OpenElec myself so that's about the best advice I can give you. If you're set on OpenElec, they seem to have a pretty good community going and you could probably find better help there

podgey3874

May 17, 2012
xbmc self managed instillation

Like umOuch said, it's sort of equivalent to windows 7 vs vista vs xp. In your case the disrto would be either OpenElec or XBMCBuntu.

If you run that program, it will show you a 5 step window:
1. Select which drive is your usb stick
2. Tell it where to find your linux distro (choose download in this case). Then from the drop box, choose XBMCbuntu
3. Leave step 3 as is
4. Check the first two boxes only
5. Hit the lightning bolt.

From there boot your Revo box from the usb stick and it will walk you through the rest.

I've never installed OpenElec myself so that's about the best advice I can give you. If you're set on OpenElec, they seem to have a pretty good community going and you could probably find better help there
OpenElec

What is OpenElec?

Recently, I stumbled across OpenElec and realized this is a great solution for the less techy people who want to use XBMC. What OpenElec is, in a nutshell, is a bootable disk image that will allow you to boot a multitude of devices directly into a XBMC session. This is pretty cool for those people who don’t like dealing with doing a full install on a non dedicated HTPC machine, like your personal laptop, which you only use for a HTPC when that new Marvel movie comes out on Usenet. It will allow you to boot into XBMC, and enjoy the awesomeness that is XBMC, without having to manage a dedicated box for it. For this type of setup, you will require a usb drive and an SD card, or two usb drives or something of the like. Otherwise, you can install directly onto a hard disk, however you choose, it will all operate in similar fashion.

What feature set does OpenElec offer me?

OpenElec is a linux based XBMC install, which means it will boot quick and boot directly into your XBMC. There is no command line knowledge required to use OpenElec. They offer builds for AppleTV, Intel ION PC’s, Intel/AMD Processors, etc. Basically, if you have anything aside from a Mac, there is a distribution available for you.

How do I get started?

First, you must go to OpenElecs site and download the distro for you here.
After you’ve downloaded the proper distro, what you need to do is extract the archive, they suggest using 7Zip as it will extra Tar.bz files.
Once you get OpenElec extracted, you need to insert a USB drive you intend on using for your boot drive. (it should be empty, or at least not have anything on there you don’t mind losing!)
Double click on the batch file named create_installstick
It will ask you for the drive letter, so find that by double clicking my computer and looking at the drive letter. (If you can’t find the drive, it’s probably not formatted, and you will want to do that first.)
The installer will run for around 30 seconds or so, and then report it is complete. YAY!
Now you can safely eject the USB drive.
Once you’ve done this, insert the usb drive into the machine you intend on using for your HTPC.
You may have to tweak your bios to allow you to boot from the USB drive we have created, or simply select usb from the boot menu.
Once you are booted into the installer, it will prompt you for the install destination.
Select where you want it to be installed, and voila!
Now depending on where you installed to, you may need to update your boot options appropriately, but aside from that you now have a complete XBMC install that you can use on multiple devices and will auto update!
Of course, you’re still going to want to tweak your own OpenElec install to suit your needs, but I digress.

Is this what i need if i am wanting my Acer Revo rl70 to be used as my xbmc media center only?
and just few questions hope someone can help with me as i am a dumdass

firsty what do it mean when it states you may have to tweak your bios will i have to if i an running on linix(never used linix before)
were do i need to install?
and how to update boot options?
what does this mean?
and were it says to tweak openelek to suit my needs does that mean add sources?
i want to use fustion installer in that case

Last edited:

Bstrdsmkr

Mar 16, 2012
If you've never booted from a CD or usb before, I strongly urge you to find someone local to walk you through it. If you don't know what you're looking for in the BIOS, you can permanently break your box.

It's not hard once you've seen it done, but also not something you can really teach over the internet

Once you've booted from the USB stick, it'll guide you through the installation. The tweaking and etc just means customizing xbmc (choosing skins, adding addons, and etc) just like you would on any other pc

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
Hi I've fairly recently set up a couple of Revo RL70's for friends,
you've got yourself a surprisingly good little pc given the specs.

Unfortunately the version of Linux shipped with it is frankly pathetic, Acer would have been better off shipping the machines with blank hard drives rather than going to the effort of putting that on there.

You are going to have to put another OS on there, as others have said this can be any flavour you want be it Windows, a decent Linux, xbmcbuntu or openelec.
If memory serves me correctly you need to press F8 on the Revo before it boots to get into the boot priority screen and change the boot order to usb first,
tapping delete will get you into the full bios but I'm guessing from your posts this isn't something you'd feel comfortable doing.

I had a little play with one of the Revo's before I set it up properly and discovered a couple of things,
firstly they seem very picky about which usb port they will boot from so you may have to experiment to find the one that will work,
secondly the native install of xbmcbuntu doesn't install drivers for the wifi connection, if you're planning on using it wirelessly this OS may not be an option for you, I'm sure its possible to ssh the correct driver in but from what you've posted again it doesn't look to be something you'd be comfortable with.
To boot straight into XBMC a Fusion build of openelec looks your best bet, but you'll need to visit their site, read up and make sure they have what you need.

I'm not a Linux user so I'll leave it up to others to advise on the best path to take for a full Linux install, and your final option is if you have a copy to install Windows onto the machine, there's a useful tool on the Microsoft website that will allow you to install Windows onto a usb stick and make it bootable if you decide to go this route.

podgey3874

May 17, 2012
Hi I've fairly recently set up a couple of Revo RL70's for friends,
you've got yourself a surprisingly good little pc given the specs.

Unfortunately the version of Linux shipped with it is frankly pathetic, Acer would have been better off shipping the machines with blank hard drives rather than going to the effort of putting that on there.

You are going to have to put another OS on there, as others have said this can be any flavour you want be it Windows, a decent Linux, xbmcbuntu or openelec.
If memory serves me correctly you need to press F8 on the Revo before it boots to get into the boot priority screen and change the boot order to usb first,
tapping delete will get you into the full bios but I'm guessing from your posts this isn't something you'd feel comfortable doing.

I had a little play with one of the Revo's before I set it up properly and discovered a couple of things,
firstly they seem very picky about which usb port they will boot from so you may have to experiment to find the one that will work,
secondly the native install of xbmcbuntu doesn't install drivers for the wifi connection, if you're planning on using it wirelessly this OS may not be an option for you, I'm sure its possible to ssh the correct driver in but from what you've posted again it doesn't look to be something you'd be comfortable with.
To boot straight into XBMC a Fusion build of openelec looks your best bet, but you'll need to visit their site, read up and make sure they have what you need.

I'm not a Linux user so I'll leave it up to others to advise on the best path to take for a full Linux install, and your final option is if you have a copy to install Windows onto the machine, there's a useful tool on the Microsoft website that will allow you to install Windows onto a usb stick and make it bootable if you decide to go this route.
Looks like from my knowledge of windows I think I might have to purchase a windows instillation
Cab you provide links were I can get it cheap
And if I was to install windows would I then just install xbmc for windows like on my laptop
Or would I need to do more to have the REvo booting straight to xbmc when switched on/left on
An sure you would advise yes?
Because due to your recommendations this may be the best option for me
And am only interested really in openelec due to great response I have read about it to be honest all thou it might be too technical for me just want the perfect media centre with no messing about apart from installing xbmc fustion that I am aware and confident useing
And also were if in doubt could I go locally for help on install would you I advise some sort of electronics shop?
A never thought it would be so difficult surely I could get somebody else to put openelec on to a USB flash drive then all I would have to do is plug in to REvo and install from the on screen instructions they you guys could guide me threw tweaks boot etc

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
If you installed windows you would also have to install the the drivers that came on the cd you got with the Revo then just install XBMC as you did with your laptop.
If you wanted to boot straight into XBMC the easiest way would be to drag and drop your XBMC icon into the startup folder.
Sorry I can't help with a cheap version of Windows I only know the usual suspects like Amazon, Ebuyer etc to buy it from.

But I would urge you to visit the openelec site, spend some time reading up and ask questions on their forum, if you really just want an XBMC based media player you will save yourself a lot of money by investing a little time learning there.

podgey3874

May 17, 2012
If you installed windows you would also have to install the the drivers that came on the cd you got with the Revo then just install XBMC as you did with your laptop.
If you wanted to boot straight into XBMC the easiest way would be to drag and drop your XBMC icon into the startup folder.
Sorry I can't help with a cheap version of Windows I only know the usual suspects like Amazon, Ebuyer etc to buy it from.

But I would urge you to visit the openelec site, spend some time reading up and ask questions on their forum, if you really just want an XBMC based media player you will save yourself a lot of money by investing a little time learning there.
the windows route seems pretty straight forward to me
if i decide that route and to boot straght to xmbc on turn on bye darg n droping the xmmc icon in to the strating folder could you advise were to locate start up folder and the name of the file i need to drag across?
would this prevent me from using the Revo from anything other then xbmc or not?

The OpenLec is very tempting thou ;( it cant be that difficult surely dummies guide is a must and saving pennys is a proffered option ;(
there must be someone locallly to me who has installed openlec before iw ould try to find out via there forum but unable to register

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
On Widows 7 the startup folder is located in:-
C:\Users\[your account name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\

you would just need to copy and paste or drag your XBMC icon into the startup folder.

You'd just have to quit XBMC to go back to Windows and use the Revo as a pc again

podgey3874

May 17, 2012
On Widows 7 the startup folder is located in:-
C:\Users\[your account name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\

you would just need to copy and paste or drag your XBMC icon into the startup folder.

You'd just have to quit XBMC to go back to Windows and use the Revo as a pc again
the xbmc icon were would that be located?
is it jsut the xbmc shortcut that is created when installed?
may have to go down this route for the time been until i figure out openlec or advised on a easy way to install
i am only wanting it to watch 1 channel,Na*i-X for my tv series and sport

podgey3874

May 17, 2012
yeah the XBMC shortcut
that simple wow
and fingers crossed a local electectric store is going to install openlec for me he has not done it before but says it is quite straghtforward and he not going to use linux on it as says it can cause driver issuies
is there any information you can give me to give him to help him along if so can you please provide below that would be great

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
Sorry I've only dabbled with openelec on a memory stick in the past, any advice I'd give would either be out of date or plain simply wrong.
Just make sure this guy downloads and installs the correct version for your Revo, a quick look at their site shows me that the Fusion build should be the correct one,
but I'm sure a search for "RL70" on their forums would lead you to the correct information.

I wish you luck because those Revo RL70's are good little pc's once they are set up correctly.

Bstrdsmkr

Mar 16, 2012
OpenElec builds are made specifically for each model, so they should have all the necessary drivers included. He's right, if you've done the basic steps before, it's really simple. See if you can get him to show you what he's doing, then you'll be able to do it yourself.

podgey3874

May 17, 2012
Sorry I've only dabbled with openelec on a memory stick in the past, any advice I'd give would either be out of date or plain simply wrong.
Just make sure this guy downloads and installs the correct version for your Revo, a quick look at their site shows me that the Fusion build should be the correct one,
but I'm sure a search for "RL70" on their forums would lead you to the correct information.

I wish you luck because those Revo RL70's are good little pc's once they are set up correctly.
hi guys in process of installing this Installing OpenELEC on HTPCs Part 2 for all OS - OpenELEC Wiki
at the first step it says . Start the computer and make sure it boots from the USB key - you may need to change a setting in the BIOS or simply press F8 or F11 on boot, but that depends on your computer.
what do i need to press on the RL70 on boot?
or how do i change the settings in the bios
i no its f12 to get in to the bios then options but i dont really no what to do from ear or if i need to change the settiings in this way?