Setting up the Pi2

pcannon

Mar 2, 2015
Hi all,

i like he naive idiot i am thought that when buying the raspberry pi 2 that i would be able to just install osmc(old raspbmc) and instantly click on live tv to watch what i wanted, ive hit some roadblocks and am totally clueless on how to actually set this up so i have a few questions which would be great if anyone could answer;

1 - What is the best operating system to use with the pi 2? i did try openelec first but it felt too complicated but from reading a good bit on this site it seems thats the best one to use.

2 - is there any guides/ step by steps on how to configure live TV with certain operating systems?

3 - do i need any other hardware or should the pi(already got mouse etc)

Thanks for any help!

ute

Dec 16, 2012
OE is the best ..just load the image file on the MSD ( use win32diskimager )

Put in pie , set up xbmc

smurff1975

Jan 8, 2014
Hi not sure I am allowed to post links to external sites but if you search on youtube there are plenty of kodi live tv instructions. Thats what I did and can verify I have live tv on my RP2
Good luck

daflyboys

Aug 27, 2013
Going to be getting a Pi 2 in the weeks to come. Just wondering how I can get OpenElec to the SD card if I don't have an SD card reader. Can I somehow put this on a USB stick, then transfer it from USB to SD card within the Pi? Can't be that easy since it's an operating system.

Addendum: never mind as I found that the kit I'm getting comes with Noobs pre-loaded and the site indicates this:

When you boot up your Raspberry Pi with NOOBS for the first time, you'll see a menu that allows you to install Raspian or download additional operating systems such as Archlinux, OpenELEC, Pidora, RaspBMC, and RiscOS.

From what I've read around here, OpenELEC is the way to go.

Last edited:

daflyboys

Aug 27, 2013
For those looking for a complete kit, I bought mine from Amazon for $70. Cheaper than what they're selling it for at the Canakit site.