Should i get a fire tv or nvidia sheild

robsleeps

Dec 23, 2015
I've been using a firestick for about a year now and although it's been good it has its moments/days when it just won't work and the memory is very low on it. I plan to get a new more powerful device soon. The nvidia is currently out of stock everywhere and is more expensive than the fire tv.

Does the fire tv connect via ethernet or do I have to use wifi like I do with the stick?

Just looking for general feedback to help me decide.

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
Check out the Mi if you live in the US they sell them at Walmart. 70 bucks if you aren't into gaming the Mi is pretty nice 2 gig's of Ram twice as much as your firestick and at a third of the price of the shield it uses the official Android TV same as the shield and you don't have to sideload kodi or SPMC like fire TV. The Mi has google voice search which is awesome. I say if you want to play video games and want the best kodi streamer get the shield if you want the next best thing don't buy a fire TV buy a Mi.

robsleeps

Dec 23, 2015
Check out the Mi if you live in the US they sell them at Walmart. 70 bucks if you aren't into gaming the Mi is pretty nice 2 gig's of Ram twice as much as your firestick and at a third of the price of the shield it uses the official Android TV same as the shield and you don't have to sideload kodi or SPMC like fire TV. The Mi has google voice search which is awesome. I say if you want to play video games and want the best kodi streamer get the shield if you want the next best thing don't buy a fire TV buy a Mi.
Thank you. I will check it out

robsleeps

Dec 23, 2015
I literally just bought one yesterday for my parents for Christmas have been playing with it all day check out what some other members have said about it.
https://forums.tvaddons.co/audio-video-talk/53142-mi-box-play-nice-tvaddons.html
Just read through that and it sounds good. The one key feature that was a turn off for me is that it's wifi only with no ethernet. I have a vpn installed on my router and ever since the wifi speed has been considerably slower and less reliable.

I'm curious how responsive the fire tv is compared to the stick. Does it have the same lag when you scroll around the menus? My firestick also has a very hard time with live streaming some times. I'm thinking ethernet connection would solve that also.

lgoodknight

May 28, 2013
Rock Island Arsenal IL
J

I'm curious how responsive the fire tv is compared to the stick. Does it have the same lag when you scroll around the menus? My firestick also has a very hard time with live streaming some times. I'm thinking ethernet connection would solve that also.

I use all 3: stick,ftv and shield. All work fine but the shield is much quicker between menus. I find the shield performs well wifi or wired.

robsleeps

Dec 23, 2015
Anyone know when the sheild will be available again? Are they making a new version or something? I can't find one anywhere.

robsleeps

Dec 23, 2015

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
My router has a USB port. Does that mean I could use that instead of wifi?
Probably not, the USB port on routers is generally not a full featured port, it's primarily for network sharing of a mounted drive and thus lacks other kinds of drivers...

If you want it wired, just get one of these and plug it into one of the Mi's USB ports, then you have an Ethernet port...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-White-USB2-0-Male-to-RJ45-Ethernet-Lan-Network-Adapter-Dongle-10-100-Mbps-/291817492085

The only issue is that you might need to load in third party Ethernet driver in to the Mi to get it fired up, I'm going to go out on a limb and suspect that it probably already has the necessary network adapters since it's a licensed version of Android TV...

Last edited:

Leilan

Feb 22, 2015
Anyone know when the sheild will be available again? Are they making a new version or something? I can't find one anywhere.
January 4th is the rumored date that they announce a new device. I've heard it will be cheaper, but I have no proof of that.

robsleeps

Dec 23, 2015
Thank you guys. I'll wait a few weeks to see about this new sheild. Fire sticks are working fine for now.

robsleeps

Dec 23, 2015
Any advice about mxq pro? How does it compare to nvidia or fire tv? It's to short to search for on these forums

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
Here are some reviews on this box. Google has to say more if you are interested.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MXQ-Streaming-Android-Amlogic-GHz£¬Dual/product-reviews/B0177DZ5TI
this is a different MXQ pro than what I have altho its specs look good at first glance the Amlogic S812 is outdated and isnt supported past kodi 15 don't buy a box that doesn't have Amlogic S905 or better. also dont buy one that doesn't have android 5.1 or better.

this is the MXQ pro I bought
https://www.amazon.com/VENSMILE-MXQ-Android-Lollipop-Streaming/dp/B01CZQNJQ8/ref=sr_1_32?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1482325936&sr=1-32&keywords=mxq+pro

Last edited:

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
Any advice about mxq pro? How does it compare to nvidia or fire tv? It's to short to search for on these forums
I have an MXQ pro and after a few tweaks it runs kodi very smoothly in 1080p I don't have 4k tv to test if it plays 4k as it claims but for about 40 bucks it works well. I bought an SD card to boost the ram and for storage which cost me 20 bucks. The stock launcher is horrible but is easily upgraded. The remote is garbage might as well just throw it out and get a air mouse. 40 for the box 20 for the SD card and another 15 for the airmouse 75 bucks for a good functioning mxq pro. If you live in the US you might as well stop by Walmart and pick up a Mi for 5 bucks less it has twice as much ram and storage as the mxq pro the remote is really nice it has voice search and it has the official android tv operating system instead of a hobbled together phone version. It is a better device imo.

*Edit I just reread the thread and saw that you mentioned you want a box that has an Ethernet port the MXQ pro does have one and if that is a necessity for you the MXQ pro will suit your needs just be careful which one you buy. Also if you buy a fully loaded one delete all the bloatware and kodi and start over with a clean install.

read this on how to boost the Ram on the MXQ pro https://forums.tvaddons.co/getting-started-with-kodi/49910-getting-performance-android-tv-box.html

Last edited: