Since 17.0 upgrade videos die in mid stream

Lexlouther

Nov 11, 2016
When the video dies (I.e. stops playing) it returns to the prior screen where I'm able to restart; sometimes from where it stopped, sometimes not.

This has been happening quite frequently, sometimes 2 or 3 times in a one hour program. There is no message and never says 'Buffering"

I've set cachemembuffersize to 419430400; buffermode to 1; and readbufferfactor to 4.0 all using the Easy Advanced Settings add-on (a great tool).

This never happened in 16.1.

So what's going on? Is this a new issue with 17; a problem with my settings or what.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Last edited:

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
Easy Advanced Settings addon won't work in Kodi 17 because the format of the advancedsettings.xml has changed. It would be helpful if you could re-create your issue and post a log file.

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
You have allocated over 1.25 Gigabyte of RAM as a video cache. You don't say what hardware you have or how much memory it has so this may be OK on your setup or it may not. My question is asked more out of curiosity than anything else but why? Do you have a particularly fast connection that requires this much buffering? You don't have to answer if you don't want to (it is just my curiosity) but I always wonder why these numbers are set so large when Kodi will pootle along quite happily with a default of 60MB.

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
It may not be the case here, but I suspect these figures are usually recommended on one of those youtube videos "How to stop buffering" etc, where the author of the video has no idea about the impact of what they are advising people to do, given that most of these videos are made by clueless people :)

Lexlouther

Nov 11, 2016
Thanks for the feedback!

Just when I find a nice tool it turns out to be obsolete 😲

I've redone the settings for 17 manually (just hope I got it right) . Here's my modified advancedsettings. Xml

<advancedsettings>
<cache>
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
<memorysize>419430400<memorysize>
<readbufferfactor>4.0</readbufferfactor>
</cache>
</advancedsettings>

But almost immediately after restarting kodi I ran into the exact same problem.

Here's the log:
https://logs.tvaddons.co/p4rukxdvt

I hope someone can make something out of it. I'm at a loss.

Lexlouther

Nov 11, 2016
Yes, that's exactly right. The blind leading me ;>) Can you recommend a reasonable number?

Indigo says I have 588MB free memory. That is presumably after allocating memory to the read buffer.

p.s. How did you get that emoticon into your post? I don't see an option for that after "going advanced".

Thanks

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
For now just disable your advancedsettings.xml (rename it to something else) and restart Kodi. I suspect you simply have too much buffer set as explained by Stoofer and FXB78.

Too much RAM allocated to your buffer may cause your device to act this way if the rest of the box can't function. Let us know how it works once disabled.

Lexlouther

Nov 11, 2016
I appreciate the advice but I had this problem before I did anything about the buffet size. That's why I starting making these adjustments. I've now reduced the cache to 250MB. So far it's been working without problems. If this keeps up I'll keep reducing the cache.

Lexlouther

Nov 11, 2016
Still broken

It dies consistently. At least once in an hour program.

I'm coming to the view that it's not a buffering problem after all.

Since it never happened in 16.1 and always happens with 17, I now believe something is broken in 17. Either that, or something went wrong in the upgrade.

Am I the only one experiencing this?

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
Works fine for me, but then I don't use advancedsettings.xml. Try deleting this file & see how you get on.

Lexlouther

Nov 11, 2016
OK, I give.

Enlarging the buffer was no help so I deleted the advanced settings file and am now back to square one. Only this time without any ideas. Am I doomed to having playback die every five (occasionally even in one minute) to 20 minutes?.

Something is obviously wrong, but what?

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
IMO stop messing with the advanced settings, regardless of all the Youtube' videos chances are you are making it worse, way and I mean WAY too many people that don't have a clue just parrot what they saw on some other video so they can score more hits on their videos...

Your log shows your device as a is this the MXIII-G is this the 1GB+8GB model?

How much free storage do you have left out of that 8GB? I have found from experience that if you don't keep at least 300-500MB free these cheap boxes have a tendency to crash when running Kodi... hen I was using a lower end one I tried to always keep 1GB free, it made a world of difference...

And you also stated that you have about 588MB free RAM out of 1GB, and no that does not include your cache unless you cache is full and being used at the time... If you only have 588MB free any 'cache' setting above about 125MB is likely going to crash the device, as Kodi uses 3 times the RAM you set in the cache... Thus if you were to set it to 125MB, you would have to have 425MB free, and since other programs are actively using memory that leaves you little wiggle room... IMO any cache setting above the default 20MB is only needed in limited and isolated instances...

The blunt truth is that setting a huge cache rarely solves any problems, unless you have fast Internet that is constantly dropping out for short periods of time, it won't fix overall slow internet issues or streams from slow servers...

As said stop tinkering with the advanced settings foand focus on other potential and more likely causes...

Lexlouther

Nov 11, 2016
Hi, I have stopped messing with the advanced settings and removed the file.

My MXIII-G is the 2GB+16GB model. At least that's what the specs say.

Free on board storage is 8.2GB plus 28.4GB on an SD card.

Per Kodi hardware info I now have 903MB free memory out of 1580MB total.

I don't think my Internet connection is dropping out as Netflix and Amazon apps run without issues and 16.1 also had no problems.

So why the Kodi 17 problem?

Lexlouther

Nov 11, 2016
Just to double check I ran the same episode (Patriot s01e01) on Amazon Prime and Kodi. Needless to say, no problem on Amazon. Kodi died twice! Bummer.

Lexlouther

Nov 11, 2016
Have you considered just downgrading to 16.1?
It's a thought, thanks.

I was hoping someone would recognize the problem and give me a solution. It looks like that's not going to happen.

My next hope is that 17.1 which is currently in release candidate status will provide a fix. Hopefully the release will be soon.

I just don't like the idea of throwing in the towel. But if relief doesn't come soon I may be forced to do just that.

Thanks again.