sky f5 box

otto99

Mar 30, 2013
cumbria uk
iv been seeing these pop up forsale in my area lately and i carnt really find anything on them just that the can somehow get the satalite stream for free is this possable i dont know if i should post here just carnt find info on these and that

dolanm56

Jul 27, 2012
iv been seeing these pop up forsale in my area lately and i carnt really find anything on them just that the can somehow get the satalite stream for free is this possable i dont know if i should post here just carnt find info on these and that
Since no one else wants to answer this then i suppose i will answer this for you :)

If your referring to UK subscription satellite channels i.e sky then you cant get these channels for free simply by using a sky f5 receiver.
The only way to recieve these channels would be by illegally cardsharing.

You can find plenty of people selling these boxes on ebay and gumtree already set up to recieve these channels with 3 or more months free access to there CS servers.

There are free servers out there but they are far and few between and are generally unreliable, also keep in mind that you would need to have an internet connection in order to view these channels.

jas0npc

Banned
May 5, 2012
UK
Since no one else wants to answer this then i suppose i will answer this for you :)

If your referring to UK subscription satellite channels i.e sky then you cant get these channels for free simply by using a sky f5 receiver.
The only way to recieve these channels would be by illegally cardsharing.

You can find plenty of people selling these boxes on ebay and gumtree already set up to recieve these channels with 3 or more months free access to there CS servers.

There are free servers out there but they are far and few between and are generally unreliable, also keep in mind that you would need to have an internet connection in order to view these channels.
Otherwise known as a rapberryPI and xbmc

calisto

May 8, 2012
And at the moment sly are introducing a new pairing method with there cards, so you could well end up with a door stop in a few months.

pfj

Oct 31, 2012
Norn Irn
As already mentioned skybox f3's/f5's and (many others) can be used to obtain all premium sky channels for very little cost (not free) through the use of card sharing. A subscription to a card sharing server and internet connection is required. Many people sell these pre-configured with a ccline (basically a login to card sharing server) already installed in them so you can just plug them in and get every channel without having to configure. These are what are usually on sale on ebay and Gumtree etc. They are normally advertised as skybox with 12 month "gift" or similar wording. This just means the length of time the "subscription" will work for until it needs renewed.

Sky are currently cracking down on card sharing and people are saying these boxes will stop working shortly. So if you buy one and card sharing stops then you will only receive free to air channels on it.

Hopefully this will clear this up a bit.

brett1

Jan 31, 2013
cornwall uk
i have been looking into this quite alot last couple weeks and as been said there is alot of uncertiancy at the minute on just how long it will carry on £110 would have bought one but think i'll hang on for a while and let dust settle a little before i take the plunge

jas0npc

Banned
May 5, 2012
UK
From what i have read, Sky are finding it difficult to change their method, as there are a lot of older box`s around and in use that their new pairing method uses, The only way around that is for sky to replace all these older box`s for the newer type, that will of course be very expensive and time consuming for sky.

mirageuk

Sep 21, 2012
Yorkshire
You do wonder how long sky can continue with there business model, throwing satellites into space is not getting any cheaper and is out of date, most will need to be replace over the coming years. Bt have the best idea tv over fiber same has virgin

jas0npc

Banned
May 5, 2012
UK
Sky do not own the kit in space, they rent the channel spaces from the satellite owners, lets not forget, they also have sky tv all over europe not just in the uk, they are coining it in

vict0r

Aug 24, 2013
You do wonder how long sky can continue with there business model, throwing satellites into space is not getting any cheaper and is out of date, most will need to be replace over the coming years. Bt have the best idea tv over fiber same has virgin
Dont think we need to worry about sly's business model @ around 50-70 a month plus they have started with their internet based tv also, wht should be worrying is android in space. It doesnt even work in my living room.

PhoneSat 2.0

gooner1511

Aug 6, 2013
England
I've had a skybox f3 for about 9 months and a Linux based nbox5800 which both work a treat with a card sharing server connected to Internet all channels visible inc movies, sport, some ppv, xxx, etc for about £5 a month, you're right rumours are rife it's gonna stop but who knows. Bought my f3 of flea bay for about £40 programmed myself simples :)

brett1

Jan 31, 2013
cornwall uk
I've had a skybox f3 for about 9 months and a Linux based nbox5800 which both work a treat with a card sharing server connected to Internet all channels visible inc movies, sport, some ppv, xxx, etc for about £5 a month, you're right rumours are rife it's gonna stop but who knows. Bought my f3 of flea bay for about £40 programmed myself simples :)
how do you program them?? and do you then have to find a cs place???

pfj

Oct 31, 2012
Norn Irn
I've had my f3's for almost a year now and subscribe to a private server. Went from paying £95 PM to £35 (inc £30 PM broadband) for every channel aired with most in HD. So TV is £5 PM and I have 2 boxes.

I only really watch footie/sport on it and use xbmc for the rest of my viewing. Too many adverts breaking up decent shows. When it does eventually get switched off there are plenty of other options for viewing football so it's not a big deal.

gooner1511

Aug 6, 2013
England
how do you program them?? and do you then have to find a cs place???
If you're talking about f3 best head to thedogsbollox website which has all the files and tuts you need and they've got helpful forums like these :) basically flash firmware from usb stick and add channel list from usb also then you're good to go. I presume you're just talking about 28.2 s## channels.
ps Google card sharing servers there's plenty to choose from, I keep mine at 3 month contracts atm just in case it goes belly up.

Last edited:

smiffy71

May 7, 2012
It's always an option, but like someone said before XBMC has it all plus some. Especially when you have StarStreams.

brett1

Jan 31, 2013
cornwall uk
i agree with what your saying smiffy but with the footy i haven't found a good link to watch it on yet so thats the main reason i love my xbmc for sure and won't have a bad word against it but this my only problem

Red67

Aug 19, 2013
Liverpool, UK
As already mentioned skybox f3's/f5's and (many others) can be used to obtain all premium sky channels for very little cost (not free) through the use of card sharing. A subscription to a card sharing server and internet connection is required. Many people sell these pre-configured with a ccline (basically a login to card sharing server) already installed in them so you can just plug them in and get every channel without having to configure. These are what are usually on sale on ebay and Gumtree etc. They are normally advertised as skybox with 12 month "gift" or similar wording. This just means the length of time the "subscription" will work for until it needs renewed.

Sky are currently cracking down on card sharing and people are saying these boxes will stop working shortly. So if you buy one and card sharing stops then you will only receive free to air channels on it.

Hopefully this will clear this up a bit.
The clamp down has been talked about for years and while they may do this I don't see this happening any time soon, For this to work they have to replace every box and card and while that sound easy it's not. First problem they have is getting SD box costomers to move to HD and there are a lot who ain't intrested because of the cost. Second problem is replacing over 9M boxes and cards over night as once they start releasing the new stuff this will give the blaggers less time to crack the system, the longer it takes the easier the new system will be cracked.

From what I am hearing is there is already a crack for the new system so if or when it comes in the blaggers are already ready for it. I think the hearder they try to stop it the hearded it will be come to block it.

At the current price for the cracked version even if you get 6 months out of it you will have saved money. the best way would be to get a box and get a short term deal from one of the servers.