Small report using different versions

Marquerite

May 30, 2013
The Netherlands
Ok. So I decided to delete my sideloaded 12.2 due to library source issues, installed Wizard after configuring lib-files (that was before I was noted that I should edit the sources file, ugh).

To start with:
- if you get random freezes you could consider laying your OUYA on it's side, this could prevent a cooler problem (Cr. Urbanshenkie)
-I also started using Yatse as a XBMC remote app and it works flawlessly, love it.
-I use BOOT to run XBMC on every startup.

I decided to give Alpha 1 a try.
Encountered some issues;
-Script fails after applying 1ch subtitle fix.
-Stuttering even after buffering and eventually freezing up, does not look addon related.

Ouya version;
-stuttering, freezing up
Just doesn't do the trick for me.

Installed 12.2 again and running flawlessly...
Tip. When using 12.2 you can enable "Remote controll sends keyboard presses" (Cr. UmOuch) this will allow you to type text using regular keypad instead of touchpad.

Had to delete my setup, so tried installing Alpha7
Running flawlessly, smoothly running HD without any hick-ups and good buffering. Reminder; don't use the OUYA wizard (oops).

No log files, just some info i'd like to share.

Last edited:

Marquerite

May 30, 2013
The Netherlands
Ok, it overwrites the older versions doesn't it?
Maybe I'll give it a try when I mess this up again.

Where do you find the links, cause i've been looking for a clear overview of versions but no luck yet (maybe dedicate a sticky to it? Mods?).

Cough....edit....just have to know where to look
http://xbmc.org

Still wondering...will this overwrite older versions and is there a way to prevent that?

Last edited:

trogggy

May 6, 2012
France
I don't own an Ouya, but..
It's android.
Presumably it's rooted?
If you install Titanium Backup (or something similar) you could back up as many versions as you like. And if you want to save the data folder from a build just change its name with a file manager.
eg on my tab I'd go to /Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc and re-name the .xbmc folder to .xbmcfrodo. Then move it up into /Android/data/ so it isn't deleted by an uninstall.
Or is there a simpler way?

Marquerite

May 30, 2013
The Netherlands
Thanks for your reply.

Not rooted yet, not enough time to combine the joys of watching XBMC with anything else really lol.

Looks fairly simple, can data files be exchanged between different versions?

I was thinking, when you use dropbox for installation there's not really need for an actual back-up, because you're saving the installation files???

Biggest no-no to me is losing all my data and settings every time i switch.

trogggy

May 6, 2012
France
Looks fairly simple, can data files be exchanged between different versions?
Pretty much, yes. What I've done on my tab is to make a copy of the .xbmc data folder though just in case.
AFAIK there are some differences in the way Gotham and Frodo handle (and name) databases, I've read reports of database corruption when going from one to another - but in theory it should be fine.
You're better waiting for a reply from someone who's actually using the thing though.

Marquerite

May 30, 2013
The Netherlands
@froggy. Thanks I'll enjoy this version for a while untill I can't ignore the itch anymore.
Or that is untill someone can confirm (or maybe share a small how to) that data files can be used for different versions.

Marquerite

May 30, 2013
The Netherlands
Ok...so that didn't take long... ;)

Backed up .xbmc data file (thanks a million for the tip!) and installed Alpha 7.

First of all; copying a file like Userdata/Onechannel/Movies (example) won't work, URL resolver fails.

On first startup all PVR addons are reported as broken.

Then configured using Wizard for OUYA.
On startup a 1 Channel script fail popped up, but it played and handled Library Integration well.

Then tried out Simply Movies, on every menu entry the XBMC theme played, and made it impossible to watch movies.

I wouldn't give up at the first try, so reinstalled and added Simply Movies manually, through Fusion.
Same results.

Then my boyfriend decided it was movie-watchin-time, so I then swiftly uninstalled, reinstalled 12.2 and was able to get it fully functional within 2 minutes thank's to the backup of the data files, so yay!

I posted a log file with info in the debugging area of this forum
http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/bug-tracking/12235-alpha-7-divers-issues-log.html
so I'll wait for a reply before trying again, who knows I've done something totally blonde like installing a wrong version :p lol N00b all the wayyyyy....

thedan

Jan 17, 2013
Don't know if it makes any odds but I've tried dozens of nightlies and all the Alphas. When sideloading the non official versions I never back anything up and I don't install. I just install new version over the top. Never have issues. I do get PVR errors on first boot but that's not surprising as I have no TV boards attached so don't need any of that. I usually get the option to disable them and agree and that's it.
Alpha 7 is solid as a rock for me. I watched 3 movies (all 1080p and 2 were SBS 3D) back to back last night and streamed the Pilot of Rewind (720p) which was about 70+ mins all without a glitch or crash. Total up time was over 6 hours.
The little box stayed fairly cool to touch as well which is a sign that things are settling down.

Marquerite

May 30, 2013
The Netherlands
Sounds good danxbmc.
That's why I'm curious about the cause of this, if I've done something wrong I'd like to know before I mess it up again.

Which addon do you use for your HD movies?

Marquerite

May 30, 2013
The Netherlands
Reporting back....after deciding to delete my setup due to 'the' change in opinion of some dev's, decided to give alpha7 another go.
Due to maintenance the wizard was down, so I went with a downsized install, just the addons I use mainly.

I think I know what went wrong the first try, I probably used the OUYA wizard on this Android version, oops.

Now up and running flawlessly!!!

So, I would reccomend Alpha7 right now ;)

Kizzer31

Sep 3, 2013
sorry new to all this m8 i have an ouya at the mo im using the one from the store how do i get alpha 7?