So, do I need a "build"?

oldcollegegal

May 21, 2017
Kingston ON Canada
Hello everyone

I have been using kodi now for a few months and enjoying it. I'm especially enjoying the forum to find solutions to common problems. I recently joined a facebook group in my community for kodi users. Everyone talks about what build they are using and which is the best. I have been persuaded to try a few of these but they are really not my style. I am not into comics, and many of the other "builds" are not appealing to me. Is it necessary to have a build? Does Kodi really work better with one? Thanks in advance!

FORD

Oct 24, 2013
Builds tend to be overloaded with somebody elses idea of what addons THEY think everybody should want, usually have a bunch of widgets, animations, and eye candy which will slow down your hardware, and besides that, it seems that most of them are based in the UK (at least going by the TV options included in all the builds I've seen) so they might not be as useful for somebody in Canada or the US.

Probably better to find a few addons that do what you need to do.. be it live TV... on demand... sports...movies...news... whatever, and not weigh the Kodi installation down with a lot of repitition and/or addons that might not be useful to you at all, depending on your geographic location.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Perfectly explained by Ford.

A build is what ever you have on your box. It is a combination of skin and addons. It really becomes a build if you start sharing it so others can use YOUR setup. So, in reality, we all have a build but mine, is customized to my needs. Not someone else's build (as explained by Ford).

It is always best to create your own setup (build). Here is a good read on why builds are not recommended:
https://www.tvaddons.co/kodi-builds-risks/

oldcollegegal

May 21, 2017
Kingston ON Canada
Appreciate these distinctions and definitions.

:) So when I download Kodi and add the addons that make the most sense to me, then I have created my own "build", so to speak. OK That clarifies things for me very well. I can continue to enjoy what I have and not feel as though I am missing out. I get my live tv, I get sports, and I get the channels I am most interested in. Exactly what Kodi was for. Thanks!

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
You've got it perfectly.
Now if you share your setup with friends, family or strangers, you would be, in effect, sharing your build which may or may not be good for everyone.