sony android tv sets and TVMC

kronin

Jul 3, 2015
Not sure if someone else tried this setup or someone else talked about it before.
If not, here is what I tried at an electronics/TV retailer.

I found a Sony android TV set.
Sony android TV sets have no browser and no file manager installed.
So I loaded "es file explorer" and opera tv browser" from the app store.

The TV had no internet access, so I let it connect to my hotspot and used the "opera tv browser" on the tv
to download TVMC from this site. That failed, so I used my phone and downloaded TVMC apk file directly
to my phone from this site.
Next I set my phone to MSC (USB Mass Storage Class) mode
and connected the TV to my phone with a USB cable.
Then I used the "es file explorer" on the TV to transfer the tvmc apk file from my phone to the TV.
Note: you can use other methods at this point to copy the tvmc apk file from the phone to the tv.
Then I enabled "unknown sources" on the tv.
Next I used the "es file explorer" to find the tvmc apk file on the tv and tapped it to initiate the
tvmc apk install directly on the tv set.

That worked. I started TVMC app on the tv and the TVMC app started and showed me the
the imain menu. I let it configure itself and the TVMC app was ready for my next command.

This proved to me a couple of things.

--- TVMC app can run at least on the new android TV sets made by Sony.
I'm sure Sharp android tv sets and Phillips android tv sets should be able to do the same.
Of course, other tv manufacturers(Samsung, LG, Panasonic, RCA, ...)
have opted out of the android TV specifications.

--- TVMC runs fast with no crashes, after pressing all the menu options on the TVMC app.

For those interested in other XBMC releases, I also tried SPMC and that worked OK too.
Note for spmc: Although spmc is on the app store, the Sony android tv set could NOT see it to download it,
and I expected that because most apps are not written for the TV/android tv specifications.

The last thing to try is the kodi apk file, to see if kodi would run.
But even that android kodi apk file should run, I believe.

Anyway, TVMC version 14.2 helix runs ok on these sony android tv sets.
I would like to do the same tests on Sharp android tv sets when they get them to the store,
I'm partial to Sharp tv sets since my current 12 year old flat lcd tv is also sharp
and still going strong.

One last note:
Minimum size Sony android tv set is 43", I saw that in the store which was also 4k resolution.
Minimum size Sharp android tv set is 60", I was told that by a Sharp tv representative, also 4k.

ronscat

May 15, 2015
I bought one of the Sony 43" 4k smart tvs. As soon as I got it home I checked out the apps to see if XBMC/kodi was on there by typing in xbmc.
"Imc media center" came up with Kodi 14.2 helix listed behind the app but I had to buy the app - $4.99. I paid google the $4.99 and immediately the 14.2 helix came up. Looks good to me.

bobsworld

Apr 21, 2015
Rocky Mount VA
Seems strange the other companies that stream media would like that much, I think it is great to make it available even at cost. I was wondering if a smart tv could do these things.

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
Great information here in this thread, thanks for posting

I am about to buy a new 4k TV for my bedroom and have interest in the Sony 43 and the sharp aquos 43.
But last thing I am interested in is saving money on a kodi device, the ram memory in the android TV will pale in comparison to my Nvidia shield for example.
Matter of fact I'll take a shield any day over smart TV android, but at least the manufacturers are trying to get better about the smart tv. That's good to hear.

Samsung smart tv absolutely sucks. Talk about ripping off the public....but their darn tvs are so much better looking than the rest, I don't know which way to go here.

Ron scat how do you like that sony? How is the contrast ratio?

Last edited:

viewer

Apr 14, 2014
Australia
Hmmm...Dunno why it is all so hard?

My son in law bought a Sony KDL50W800C.

Went straight to the TVMC for Android site, and had kodi running within minutes.

We saw it in the Google Play Store, but thought it too easy to use the forum add-on, and then add whatever repo's we wanted afterwards.

edit.
The model used here is a full android set up. It can do anything, and is not locked down in any way.

I have the Sony KDL60W850B, but this is not android based, but Sony Entertainment based. The difference here being that Sony update the apps available during firware/software updates to the telly. I have no woes though, as I simply use an MK808 stick on it, using wifi within the stick or onboard on the Sony to do anything I want.

Last edited:

ronscat

May 15, 2015
Ron scat how do you like that sony? How is the contrast ratio?

Hey, that's ronscat not "ron scat". Sorry didn't notice your question earlier - I have had about 3 updates since I got the tv. It now has "kodi" listed in the apps so I went ahead and got it too (for free this time). I am 68 yrs old and have bad eyes but the contrast ratio is pretty good to me. I have looked at some 4k under Youtube videos and of course it blows away any 1080p. I'm not sure just regular tv watching such as programs with 720p if the picture looks any better than my old Sony 1080p tv. I'm guessing they are about the same as far as picture is concerned.

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
Thanks Ronscat. I am seriously ready to buy another 4k TV this one for my bedroom and I really like the 43 inch sony 4k model. I also like samsung but they don't make one in 43 inch so that's why I'm kind of caught between.

Samsung makes a 40 inch and a 48 inch, too small, too big, see where I'm going here? I may just go out today and buy that sony, but I have the shield and I really like it so I wouldn't actually be using the TV android section but it's nice to know that it works for kodi.

Sorry I missed spelled your name my tablet has a mind of its own, I think I need to tweak the settings a bit lol.

ronscat

May 15, 2015
Sorry I missed spelled your name my tablet has a mind of its own, I think I need to tweak the settings a bit lol.[/QUOTE]

Hey look - I was just kidding you about the name. No problem, and my wife and I are enjoying the Sony 43. It is in our bedroom and we like
it just fine. We both think it is the right size for the bedroom and has a decent picture also.

The39thstep

Jun 28, 2015
Over in Portugal for a couple of months and just downloaded Kodi on my Sony 55W80 and installed. Movies and Tv series from Genesis play well (although with occasional buffering but not sure if this is due to poor internet in Portugal but I can live with that) with sound through optical connection to my soundbar However on UK TV streams ( I use U* T*rks ) sound drops out completely after about 30 seconds. Have ticked enable pass through on Kodi audio settings . Any ideas re what other settings might stop that?