Source too slow, read rate too low for continuous playback

jennamm

Mar 12, 2017
I'm new to the forum and NOT an IT expert at all, but I need help! We've been loving our Amazon Fire TV Stick and using Kodi/Ex**us with no issues... until last week when we started having constant buffering, making videos unwatchable. Most times I receive the "source too slow, read rate too low for continuous playback" message. I was told by an IT tech that Kodi's update had "glitches." However I have friends who tried different fixes and theirs are now all working fine (they started having issues last week too)... like clearing the cache and providers, clearing the data in Kodi and reinstalling Ex**us. I've tried all of these with no results. At first if I restarted the fire stick, modem and router, then the movie would play well again, however today that isn't even working (I cleared Kodi and reinstalled Ex**us yesterday). We have a brand new router and fast internet (all recently tested and set up by a tech) and everything WAS working great. Is there anything I, as a non-tech expert, can do??

DanNmarta

Mar 11, 2017
Hey, we're having the same issue here and have been unable to locate any info online as to how to fix it. We've even done a total factory reset and reinstalled to no avail. Would love to hear if there are any updates to this query.
Thanks!
Cheers!

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
I was told by an IT tech that Kodi's update had "glitches."
Sounds like he should stick to switching PC's off and on again :)

Hey, we're having the same issue here and have been unable to locate any info online as to how to fix it. We've even done a total factory reset and reinstalled to no avail. Would love to hear if there are any updates to this query.
Thanks!
Cheers!
There are no updates, no fixes, no errors or anything else.

The warning message says it all really, the source of your content is too slow for continuous playback. No matter how fast your internet is, how often you clear cache, thumbs, packages or anything else which people tell you will fix it... if the source is too slow it's out of your hands. The answer is to simply try another source.

I have friends who tried different fixes and theirs are now all working fine (they started having issues last week too)... like clearing the cache and providers, clearing the data in Kodi and reinstalling Ex**us. I've tried all of these with no results.
Purely a coincidence, they've just hit on a faster source, the apparent fixes have in reality most probably done nothing, they just think it fixed it when really they just used a different source.

Last edited:

jennamm

Mar 12, 2017
Thanks for all of your responses! I did wonder, when this issue first started for me, if it was just the link I chose (because of the message "source too slow"). So I tried other links... but it is EVERY link I click on. In every movie or tv show. And if I restarted my modem and router, then the same link would then work perfectly. And I never had any of these issues until last week... everything worked great, and then it didn't....?

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
You could get one of your friends to bring over their box\stick\Pi and try it out there. If it's still knackered then it's your comms at fault, if it works great ask your mate to backup his Kodi and restore it onto your system. If it's still borked then there's something wrong with your hardware.

ttyle8953

Mar 27, 2017
Any update to this, i have 2 android tv boxes and buffering was never an issue until last week end. now it is unbearable - buffering is constant

Chrissi451

Mar 28, 2017
Haven't my the same issue here. Can't watch any TV programmes without contestant error msg of read rate to slow for continuous playback. Tried various things like downloading the advanced settings hack to no avail. Any help much appreciated 👍🏻

Angela77

Mar 30, 2017
I am also experiencing the same kind of problem, wondering if anyone has found a fix. I have received the "Source too slow, read rate too low for continuous playback" error message and on all the other sources my video seems to be playing back very slow yet audio is completely fine. I had just updated to 17.1 and I didn't have this issue with our previous version. Running Kodi off a Mac.

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
I am also experiencing the same kind of problem, wondering if anyone has found a fix.
I thought I already explained there is no fix.... sounds like I'm wasting my time as usual. If you read the thread it's already been explained, even the warning message explains it.

The.Source.Is.Too.Slow.For.Continuous.Playback. Basically that means that the source you are using is too slow for continuous playback. As I already explained. There is no fix, choose another source or get Netflix.

Last edited:

Angela77

Mar 30, 2017
I thought I already explained there is no fix.... sounds like I'm wasting my time as usual. If you read the thread it's already been explained, even the warning message explains it.

The.Source.Is.Too.Slow.For.Continuous.Playback. Basically that means that the source you are using is too slow for continuous playback. As I already explained. There is no fix, choose another source or get Netflix.
It hasn't been explained as basically Its. All. The. Sources. I was asking the other posters. The only person wasting your time is you. Thanks for being rude and completely unhelpful.

idokfire

Dec 7, 2015
@FXB78 , unfortunately I think you just have to give up. You gave the explanation numerous times and people do not comprehend. People.... yes it sucks... yes it was working great before... yes blah blah blah. Reality is... this is the way ti is! Streaming sites come and go. The quality and speed comes and goes. Sometimes they get better after time. Sometimes developers will find new sources. Etc, etc. We all want perfection and although we should ask questions, we should also read and understand that you get what you pay for.

I felt like pulling my hair out tonight because the show I was watching kept crapping out around 27 min. I tried 4 different sources with same results. I finally said the hell with it and chose a non-HD source. Screw it! I want the story more than the perfect visuals.

It is what it is :)

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
Then the bottleneck - because that's what it basically is, something that's constricting the flow of data from the source to to end user - has be one of the following....

1) Your Interenet connection as supplied by your ISP.
2) Your modem or whatever hardware you use to connect the Interent to your house.
3) Your Wi-Fi or Network that you use to connect your Router to whatever you are running Kodi on.
4) The Hardware you are running Kodi on.

All of these can have various reasons such as Bandwidth throttling, Channel interference, damaged cabling, Incorrect settings, Electrical spiking, Weather conditions - you'll find there are so many reasons in the end you'll go mad trying to work them out.

In all these cases - even if the reason is as has been stated that the source(s) you are using are just swamped and can barely squeeze out enough of a signal to keep continuous playback going - you are going to requite hardware technical support from another source to fix it. I would suggest starting with your ISP or comms carrier and asking them to to some fault testing.

Finally, there is actually a Setting in Kodi's Network Settings that you can set to change the Bandwidth that you use but that is a Bandwidth Limiter, which is used to constrict the data connection rather than release it. Some people have found that changing this value from Off to the lowest value can actually help - but others have pointed out it's probably a placebo and coincidence and restricting something cannot logically make things run faster. I throw it out there for completeness sake.

Last edited:

fptmark

Apr 16, 2017

The question is why does this happen for every stream? I have 2 firestick and 1 firetv. The firesticks work fine but the firetv has this problem every time. Helpful replies are welcome.

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
See point 4) in my previous message above. We all like to think modern computer hardware is infallible, even when bought brand new, but no manufacturing process can produce 100% reliability 100% of the time, especially when the aim is to make it for as low a price as possible. You get what you pay for which is why the Nvidia Shield is seen as the goto hardware if you want to get into Kodi\streaming properly, and just look at the price of that.

I'm not saying that the build quality of YOUR FireTV is the root cause of your problems but it could be a contributing factor. When dealing with the lower end market of these devices there's something else you have to lower and that's your expectations, it's cheap for a reason. I expect my medium(ish) priced Chinese Android box to work better than a Fire Stick but I don't expect it to work better than a Shield, nor do I expect it to last as long which is why I always have an eye out for the next hardware I'll be buying (and can afford) in case I have to put an order in tomorrow because this one has gone US.

nelsonha

Aug 14, 2013
The only fix I can find is going back to 16.1. All 3 of my Kodi setups work fine on 16.1. When I "downgraded" to Krypton it was only then that I started having problems having "source too slow" messages on all three systems. One of the systems is an Nvidia Shield, with the other systems being i7s with 8GB RAM and Nvidia GTX 980 graphics cards. I have a 300Mbps up/down connection.

Please tell me how it's my hardware or connection is the problem. I'd be eager to listen.

nelsonha

Aug 14, 2013
Something is wrong with the Kodi software imho. See my post above. I never had a problem using Kodi 16.1, but now with Krypton I get the Source Too Slow message far too often. Instead of advice on how to fix the problem we receive condescension.

As is the case in any software system, go back to last known good configuration with in this case is 16.1, Jarvis.

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
Something is wrong with the Kodi software imho. See my post above. I never had a problem using Kodi 16.1, but now with Krypton I get the Source Too Slow message far too often. Instead of advice on how to fix the problem we receive condescension.
If there was something fundamentally wrong with the latest version of Kodi with regard to streaming then every user of Kodi would be suffering from what you are. But they're not. Furthermore if there was a significant minority out of the (tens?) of thousands suffering likewise then both these and the official Kodi Forums would be swamped with postings all saying the same thing - and you only have to look at what happened here when one part of one add-on (Gvideo in Ex**us) had problems recently. And where the problem eventually turned out to be nothing to do with Kodi or the add-ons but the way the OS handled old Certificates.

Your last messages are similar to those recently posted by a user who had failures installing Indigo on 20 Fire Sticks, prompting him to label the program "trash". That was until he changed his router\modem and suddenly everything worked perfectly. Is this your problem, perhaps or perhaps not, but here we have first-person evidence that software errors eventually turned out to be down to the hardware being used.

I really don't know what fix you are expecting people to suggest, there are no Settings in Kodi or advancedsettings.xml that can speed up the stream you are receiving from source, as FXB78 has constantly said. If you believe that this is incorrect - that Kodi 17 inherently handles these streams differently to Kodi 16 - then the only "fix" is to try Kodi 18 and see if that is any better for you, and if it doesn't then rail against Kodi not us.

I don't know why you are so upset with people here who can't (not won't) suggest a fix for a problem that even Kodi themselves say you can do nothing about. If you don't want to take anything I've said here as helpful then that's your prerogative, in which case as FXB78 said at the top of the page "unfortunately I think you just have to give up" which for me means bowing out of this non-productive discussion.

Last edited:

Banister

Nov 3, 2013
I'll give you my input FWIW with my FireTV gen 1 on Kodi 17.1. I have noticed I'll get the same error from time to time. In all cases I've found my modem had switched to 5G. For some reason my setup works better using 2.4. Might wanna just check to see what network setting your using.

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
All these posts from people claiming that there is a problem with Kodi 17, however no one has bothered to post a link to their log files.
The same old threads every time there is a new Kodi update ;)

jc4ever

Mar 20, 2017
NJ
Same problem

Same here I used real debrid in 16 no problem but in 17 getting the source too slow message yet free streams play fine thought debrid streams were supposed to be faster than free streams