Source too slow, read rate too low for continuous playback

idokfire

Dec 7, 2015
Lol, another post and no log file. I don't think people actually read. Lots of info in this forum. Lot of good users/members as well. But common!

Danasoza

Apr 23, 2017
I fixed it!

Stoofers is just straight up rude and not as educated as they think they are. I was determined to figure it out after how rude and unhelpful they were to you, acting as if they knew everything. So I figured it out! I had the same problem so looked elsewhere online and found the solution. Signed up with Tvaddons just to help you and prove stoofers wrong haha.

It's a SUPER easy fix. I have v17.1 also. Open the add on you wanna watch I.e., Ex**us > click the left portion of the circle button on your fire stick which takes you to the menu > scroll down and select add-on settings > scroll down to Playback > select Max Quality > continue to select until it hits 480p > OK.

That's it! The visuals are still great! Sometimes it'll still be slow, so I repeat the steps again (even tho 480p is already selected) and that seems to help. But if you've got 2 people streaming at the same time it could lag a bit. But not always.

Hope it helps!

Take THAT stoofers! :)

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
Ummm....it's Stoofer actually, not Stoofers. I hope the quality of your fix is better than your getting my name right :rolleyes:

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
This guy has inadvertently proved my point that there is no fix other than choosing another source or selecting a lower quality stream. I'm not sure he's even aware that's what he did, or what 480p actually means, but there you go. Take that Stoofers :D

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
Ironically this guy has proved my point that there is no fix other than choosing another source or selecting a lower quality stream. I'm not sure he's even aware that's what he did, or what 480p actually means, but there you go. Take that Stoofers :D
Hit a man when he's down why don't you!

angela561

May 13, 2017
Hi everyone. I'm new. having the same issue as everyone else. I updated Kodi. Updated Ex**us and nothing. so reading the thread there's no fix I'm gathering. when you say choose another source what does that mean? I'm a layman and don't understand the jargon.

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
Apparently there is a fix - see post #22 above where I am put in my place and the solution to trying to watch streams is available to all. :)

To answer your question. When you search for a movie or TV show you are usually presented with a list of sources - locations - where a copy of what you are looking for can be found. While these locations will usually all have the same movie or show the quality of it may be different, it may be in High Definition on one and on Standard Definition on another. Usually the higher the definition the bigger the file (more quailty means a larger size) so if you have a slow connection speed or underpowered hardware you really want to watch something that will come down to you fast enough so it doesn't buffer. Unless you have set up your add-on to auto-play after a Search you can choose what stream you want to watch yourself, usually helped by seeing things like 1080P, HD or SD alongside the file name.

Unfortunately there are a few links in the chain between the computer\server holding a copy of what you want to see and your TV or monitor screen and sometimes through no fault of your own the data coming down to you is just too slow for Kodi to give you a continuous picture which is where buffering comes in. Kodi stops everything until there's enough data to give you a few more minutes\seconds of picture and then carries on playing. If the signal is REALLY bad between you and what you're trying to receive then even buffering won't work, there's just not enough data there to fill up the buffer to give you even the semblance of playing in which case Kodi gives up and displays the "too low for Continuous Playback" message.

This isn't a problem with the add-on or Kodi itself it's physically\digitally what's pouring out of the end of the cable connection coming into your house and there's nothing you can do about that short of calling up your telco and asking them to check on your line (omitting the part about not being able to watch pirate movies properly!) This is a bit of overkill really as "choosing another source" i.e. picking another link from the results returned to you after a Search will usually fix the problem though as per the advice "you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your Prince" it may take a few attempts to find a link that provides you with good quality signal speed. So if you have 'Auto-Playback' switched on then turn it off and pick the stream of what you want to watch yourself.

Oh, and in case you were wondering about #22 above , all this does is force Ex**us to only return results where the picture quality is Standard Definition or lower which will have absolutely zero effect on "...Continuous Playback" since a lack of data from a 1080P stream is exactly the same as a lack of data from a 480P stream. All it means is that while you are watching the latest episode or movie in glorious 720x480 (360x240 if you're really fortunate) pixel resolution the rest of us will be slumming it in 1920x1080 pixels with DD5.1 sound!

connect17

Jan 2, 2013
Sounds suspiciously like isp throttling. For the people who don't know what the term means, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) will sometimes decide to stop all the bad people streaming (it's very often used in BitTorrent applications) and they slow down the traffic, so that people use less. They're basically slowing you down if you do something they don't like. What made me think of it was a few people reported it at the same time time... maybe from the same ISP or colluding ones.

Simple way to tell, run a speed test on your computer (type speedtest into google. Tests are free). Run it 5 times over the course of a day without running Kodi. Average the scores.

Then run Kodi for a while until things start to really slow down. Now run speedtest (whichever one you ran before) again a couple of times - if your speed is markedly lower, it's likely your ISP is throttling you back. If not, didn't cost you anything to find out.

And 'turning the quality down to 480p' just lowers the amount of data you need - it down't solve the reason why you can't get the data speed you want.

Last edited:

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
Wow, just saw the so called fix in #22, LOL watching 480 TV is so 1990s and not a fix... I have not even owned an SD TV for over a decade and I'm sure as heck not going to watch 480 TV unless it's a last resort or its on a very small screen... I sure as heck would never force that as the max quality of Kodi streams...

RaiderDan

May 27, 2017
I was getting this message a lot once I up upgraded to 17.1.

Noticed this thread during a google search and read through the comments.

Seems there's a lot of know-it-all's that don't seem to know much at all.

I recently upgraded again to 17.3 stable and the problem vanished.

Know what that tells me? The problem wasn't at all with the source like so many here claim. It was a problem with the version of Kodi. Which would also support the claims that downgrading to an older version of Kodi was a potential "fix".

So, to those looking for a solution...upgrade your Kodi to the latest version. 17.3 stable.

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
II recently upgraded again to 17.3 stable and the problem vanished.

Know what that tells me? The problem wasn't at all with the source like so many here claim. It was a problem with the version of Kodi. Which would also support the claims that downgrading to an older version of Kodi was a potential "fix".
I keep repeating correlation does not equate to causation... What you see believe you see on the surface does not necessarily equate the entire picture...

Did you ever consider that today is not yesterday and other things likely have changed? Did you ever consider that you might have had bad cache files on your system that the upgrade/downgrade repaired or replaced? Did you ever consider that you had some other FUBAR file like a database file on your system that the upgrade or downgrade repaired on your system? The list could go on...

17.2/17.3 was just security upgrade patch for subtitle exploits and a few other quirks, it did not change any of the 'core' parts of Kodi or the playback engine...

The changelog from 17.1 to 17.2/17.3

Fix selection after channelgroup switching in PVR guide window
Fix handling of gaps that caused eradic behaviour in EPG grid
Allow backing out of fullscreen pictures by mapping longpress guesture
Quick fix for wake up command not being called in PVR power management
Use alternative method to check if platform updates have been installed on Windows
Set the minimum version in the code which is currently OSX 10.8
Fix possible security flaw which could abused .zip files which try to traverse to a parent directory
Use the correct ttc font from the video file for subtitles on Windows
Detect and delete zero-byte database files which causes crashes

Seems there's a lot of know-it-all's that don't seem to know much at all.
May I suggest you look in the mirror and consider that you might not know as much as you believe to about the subject at hand and are in fact jumping to the wrong conclusions yourself based correlation instead of discovering the factual causation...

But, if you do have some knowledge of what code was specifically changed between 17.1 to 17.2/17.3 that fixed up everything you claim please do share the code snippet sections with us all...

Because the fact remains that 17.1 worked perfect for millions, so if the so called 'bug' was in fact because of 17.1 why didn't everyone experience the bug? Did you ever consider that your issue was the exception not the rule, and that 17.1 wasn't to blame but something else was?

RaiderDan

May 27, 2017
:::yawn:::

Upgrading to the latest stable version of Kodi worked for me. It will work for others dealing with the same issue.

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
But.........if the problem was with Kodi 17.1 then how come everybody who used the program didn't suffer the same thing?

And........if Kodi 17.3 "fixes" the problem then are you saying that no one is going to get it ever ever again?

So..........the next time someone connects to a REALLY REALLY bad connection with data barely dribbling in what do you think is going to pop up on the screen?

RaiderDan

May 27, 2017

for the past week "source too slow" on every source

5 minutes later after upgrading (kind of peculiar that you don't seem to support always using the latest stable version) and the same sources that have been an issue for the past week are no longer "too slow".

Are you telling me that the seemingly infinite number of slow sources suddenly ramped up their read rate and my upgrading to the latest stable version has nothing to do with anything?

Second thought, no need to reply. I'm streaming fine now with no help from your or Meep's contributions to this thread.

Happy streaming!

Last edited:

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
It will work for others dealing with the same issue.
Yes, :::yawn::: how do you know what you stated above to be true? Have you tested it for everyone? Heck how much testing have you actually done prior to the upgrade and after the upgrade?

And what exactly did the upgrade fix, I would love to know since the playback engine is unchanged from 17.1 to 17.3,so again I ask what changed in Kodi that you proclaim now fixed the problem? Could it just as well have been a corrupt file like I stated that was repaired and nothing to do with 17.3 itself that fixed a problem for you?

Because if you honestly believe that no one will ever claim to have the" source too slow, read rate too low for continuous playback" error now that Kodi 17.3 is out and fixed that error, all I can do is laugh...

I asked you before and I'll asked you again, please point me to the code snippets that were change in 17.3 that fixed the problem and I will admit that I might be wrong...

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
If you would like to take a nap and come back when you are more awake, feel free to do so, I'll be up for another 14 hours give or take...

for the past week "source too slow" on every source
I deny the above be true and factual and say that if you had that problem something beyond Kodi itself was FUBAR on your system... I test daily on Kodi 16.1, Kodi 16.1 (upgraded python) Kodi 17.1, Kodi 18.0 and now Kodi 17.3 and I have not experienced every source being too slow at all for any version... How do you explain this? And how do you explain the millions of other 17.1 users that were and still are not having the problem if it was in fact a problem with Kodi 17.1? If Kodi 17.1 was the cause of "source too slow, read rate too low for continuous playback" on every source then there would have been 1000s upon 1000s of threads on this forum over the last several months since Kodi 17.1 was released, yet there was not...

5 minutes later after upgrading (kind of peculiar that you don't seem to support always using the latest stable version) and the same sources that have been an issue for the past week are no longer "too slow".
Who said we don't support the current version? What we don't support is claims that 17.1 was the cause of the problems you were having, it was something else that the upgrade or downgrade just happened to repair, it's call coincidence or correlation...

Are you telling me that the seemingly infinite number of slow sources suddenly ramped up their read rate and my upgrading to the latest stable version has nothing to do with anything?
Nope, I'm saying in your instance that something was FUBAR with your install of Kodi or something FUBAR with your system, that just happened to be fixed by reinstalling... It's not uncommon that a fresh install fixes issues even when you re-install the same exact version...

I'm pretty confident that the upgrade fixed a FUBAR file on your computer, and I would guess that now that that file has been fixed even a roll back to 17.1 would work on your system as well...

RaiderDan

May 27, 2017

Clearing cache did - nothing.

Resetting fire stick to factory settings and re-installing 17.1 did - nothing.

Resetting router did - nothing.

Upgrading to 17.3 stable - problem solved. For me.

There's no harm in upgrading to the latest stable version. In fact, it's recommended to always be using the latest stable version to minimize possible issues.

Those experiencing this issue are capable of determining on their own if the simple and RECOMMENDED upgrade works for them.

Your input? Trash. Just some pompous somewhat computer savvy ego-pricks trying to talk source code with a bunch of people that don't know nor care about what's in the source. They just want their stuff to work better.

It's been loads of fun watching you try and talk to me about things I don't care about so you can feel a little more secure with your self taught youtube knowledge, but I've got buffer free streaming to do no thanks to either of you.

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
with a bunch of people that don't know nor care about what's in the source. They just want their stuff to work better.

Want want want. Gimmme gimme gimme. Don't care about you....I can't watch my pirate movies so get off your arse and fix it!

Thank God you've got it working now because I was dreading the next bit, you know, where you say "I'm going to thcream and thcream and thcream till I'm thick...and I can you know!"

Hmm....wonder what that Ignore button up there does. Let's see.

Last edited: