Source too slow, read rate too low for continuous playback

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
Just some pompous somewhat computer savvy ego-pricks trying to talk source code with a bunch of people that don't know nor care about what's in the source. They just want their stuff to work better.
Well if you don't know what is in the source code, don't understand the source code, then maybe you should not make proclamations about what is in the code that you admit you know nothing about...

so you can feel a little more secure with your self taught youtube knowledge
See there you go yet again making false statements and pretending to know something that you have zero knowledge of, I'm hardly surprised...

I most certainly didn't get my education from Youtube, where did you pull that one out of the same place you found the imaginary changes in 17.3? To be blunt, I avoid all the click bait Youtube videos because 99% of them are made by people like you that don't have the slightest clue and make false proclamations due to a lack of knowledge... Ignorance is truly bliss...

FYI I design and program electronics for a living and have for a long time... I have also have been programming computers since the very early 1980s (I was only a child and didn't have access to computer before that) and I now have 'formal' training and 'college' education in both computer programming, electronic design, as well as formal training and college education in a few other things... But, I do learn a few things on Youtube, like how to make a suds machine to fill the driveway up with fluffy suds for my kids to play with, fun stuff that you generally won't learn in school...

Last edited:

RaiderDan

May 27, 2017
One more bit of info that I've noticed has gone ignored.

To prevent many issues from occurring it is recommended to power down Kodi from within the app when you're done using the app. Leaving the app open between uses or simply going to the home screen to exit Kodi can cause issues like the one described in this thread.

Happy streaming, everyone!

paul02

May 30, 2017
Well I will tell you what I done and that may contradict a number of posts. Put 17.3 as an upgrade from 16.1. Installed an APK and was getting the SOURCE SLOW message. Reset Kodi back to 16.1 and "BAM", problem never came back with same APK. So I done the same on another Android box with same issue, put back to 16.1 and "BAM Again".
Hope this helps the ones just looking for a simple solution without the smart remarks I've been reading.

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
To prevent many issues from occurring it is recommended to power down Kodi from within the app when you're done using the app.
That is always recommended, as Kodi saves it's current settings upon proper shutdown, improper shutdowns can in fact created FUBAR and corrupt files that create problems...

Leaving the app open between uses ..... can cause issues like the one described in this thread.
I can't say I agree, I leave Kodi running on my boxes and computers 24/7 for weeks on end and have never experienced said issues...

Bomber01

Jan 27, 2018
Somewhat confusing!!

:::yawn:::

Clearing cache did - nothing.

Resetting fire stick to factory settings and re-installing 17.1 did - nothing.

Resetting router did - nothing.

Upgrading to 17.3 stable - problem solved. For me.

There's no harm in upgrading to the latest stable version. In fact, it's recommended to always be using the latest stable version to minimize possible issues.

Those experiencing this issue are capable of determining on their own if the simple and RECOMMENDED upgrade works for them.

Your input? Trash. Just some pompous somewhat computer savvy ego-pricks trying to talk source code with a bunch of people that don't know nor care about what's in the source. They just want their stuff to work better.

It's been loads of fun watching you try and talk to me about things I don't care about so you can feel a little more secure with your self taught youtube knowledge, but I've got buffer free streaming to do no thanks to either of you.
I am getting "source too slow...etc" on some links. I have researched this a lot recently and have come to the conclusion that it is not the kodi version causing the problem, nor the cache nor any number of "fixes" that are currently doing the rounds. It is the source itself, as been said by a couple of people on here. I know little of what actually happens with addons but it is quite obvious that the source is the problem. I am on kodi 17.6 and using a shield and still getting this problem. There is only 1 fix, try another source. Works every time. My confusion comes from Raiderdan's comments. He, like many of us, are in groups like this for knowledge and help because we accept we dont know all there is. But Raiderdan asks for help then has a tantrum saying everyone elses knowledge is nowhere near as great as his. If thats so then why ask for help from people you know do not know as much as you? Why not open your own help site named "Raiderdans absolutely brilliant fixes for kodi, i know whats what and i can deffo sort your kodi problems cos i know it all". The fact you are still in this group suggests that you dont know as much as your mouth says you do! And your last comment, "about things I don't care about"!! If you dont care then why are you here? Incredibly immature thing to say. You are very confused, Raiderdan!

BrotherSid

May 14, 2018
I know this is an old thread but what if the bandwidth test is showing 1-5 Mbps through different Firestick apps but my cell meter outside of said stick is showing 170-180 ? Is there a communication setting I should access? Also this is on the 5Ghz band. It seems to work better than the 2.4.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Nothing to be adjusted. Speed is dependant on many factors. The location of your stick, how much crap is on the stick (build, wizards etc), how strong the wifi is on your stick as compared to your phone. Also, is your Cell on wifi or data?

Try moving your router around closer ton the stick if you can see if it will make a difference.