SPMC and remote keymaps

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
I just started using SPMC and it's awesome. My posts are sometimes a little wordy so I'll show some restraint with my enthusuasm but in a nut shell--if your having issues with gotham on aftv it's definetly worth a try!
BUT...for some reason i lost the default keymap. I have a tweaks addon installed that'll change the keymaps to all the alternates but everytime i try to set it to default I still end up with a keymap that assigns the back key to stop video playback. That's the whole reason I never switched it before because I want to keep the video playing when I browse.
A simple solution would be to push the default keymap to my aftv but I can't find it online (probably because the default should already be on your system) If anyone can help please let me know. Thanks.

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
Those are the alternate keymaps. I just need the default. Really all I care about is that backspace not stopping the video. elmerohueso's tweaks has those same keymaps but the default must be different for SPMC. Thanks anyway.

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
No one has a solution? Well the best I can come up with is this...
1. Reinstall xbmc to fire tv. (Since it runs side by side with SPMC it won't hurt anything.)
2. Connect to fire tv with sftp.
3. Copy the default keymap from xbmc and paste it in the user data folder for SPMC.

*I didn't post this as an exact solution but rather I'm hoping someone will agree it's a good method or tell me an easier way. What I'm unclear on is if I do the above--will simply pasting it in userdata overwrite the previous default? Or do I need to delete it? Are there any potential issues associated with deleting the keymap and replacing it with a new one?

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
Let's see if anyone can tell me this...
The alternate keymap reads:
<backspace>Stop</backspace>

Can I change this to:
<backspace>Back</backspace> ???

I don't mean go right into the actual keymap and change it but just create a new xml with that substitution and place it in the userdata folder? I'm not 100% sure of what's safe and what could potentially mess things up so I hoping someone can verfiy this would be ok. Thanks.

binder420

Sep 18, 2012
Let's see if anyone can tell me this...
The alternate keymap reads:
<backspace>Stop</backspace>

Can I change this to:
<backspace>Back</backspace> ???

I don't mean go right into the actual keymap and change it but just create a new xml with that substitution and place it in the userdata folder? I'm not 100% sure of what's safe and what could potentially mess things up so I hoping someone can verfiy this would be ok. Thanks.
It should be fine and if u want to be safe just make a copy of the original and edit the new one so if anything goes wrong you can always goes back but I think it will be fine. Good luck

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
Thanks. I thought as much but when i installed xbmc just to get the keymap the only keymap i could see was something like "joystickappleremote"
So I wasn't able to try it. The spmc userdata foler has a keyboard.xml but strangely I cant find it in system or userdata on xbmc???
Oh well. I'm sure I'll figure it out or someone will let me know soon. Its not a necessity but I really like to be able to do other things with xbmc while I play the video.

Just to bring some closure to this--I was able to get the back button to work without stopping video and it was easy. Since I had no official keyboard.xml in my userdata keymaps (but 3 other items for some reason?) I just copied the 2nd alternate keymap from the fire tv wiki and replace "Stop" with "Back" in the code. I rebooted and it's working fine. I'm kinda surprised more people don't want to have this navigation feature. There is no official alternate keymap that includes this.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Kodi Support 0
M Amazon Fire TV 0
H Kodi Support 6