Still can't play HD

JackieO

Apr 13, 2015
Hello all,

I understand that your ability to play HD streams depends on a number of factors but I was sure it was due to my broadband being just 10mb but I've upgraded (twice) and still can't play them without buffering (also happens on some SD streams).

I am running an MX Android box. It's dual core, 5.34gb with 3.07gb free space.

I upgraded to BT fibre (circa 26mb) and they since upgraded me to 50mb. My line test shows 48.6mb for DL.
My master socket is approx 25ft away but I had an additional socket fitted (which links to the master socket) and this new socket is just 7ft away from the box yet despite all this I'm still struggling with HD links. Now I am quite happy watching SD links but it's annoying I still have this issue and even more anoying when SD links buffer too.

Help is appreciated x

Last edited:

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
My internet is only around 5mb I download everything before I watch it and have no problems playing 1080 streams that way... I know that's probably not the fix you are looking for but as a last resort I can tell you I watch all my shows in HD with 0% buffering.

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
Get yourself a 32 gig SD card you can download 10 or so movies or 20 hour long TV show episodes and just delete them when your done watching. It's not as convenient as streaming but 0% buffering is worth it.

Chadman

Oct 12, 2014
I'm not sure why it wouldn't be an option (he's talking about using the download option in Kodi), but that's beside the point.

You need very little speed to get HD. There is very little chance that your internet, android box or anything on your end is the issue. Your internet is more than fast enough, but, if youre on wifi, you may wish to check speedtest from the play store and make sure wifi is fast enough.

The most likely culprit is the stream source. So, we need to know, what addon are you using, what movie or show and what stream. Then, I'd be happy to try and see if I have the same problem.

Basic advice: use gvideo sources where possible. gvideo is Google video and stream speed is great. Second best source option would be direct streams. That's where the site and source are the same name.

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
What add-on and what kind of streams? Also what time of day?

I can easily stream most HD sources using Ex**us as long as I pick and choose a decent server/source, but there are times during weekends, holidays or prime time weekdays that I have issues streaming HD and even some SD stuff... Also, I find that for TV shows they generally stream better after they have been up for 24-48 hours after the mad rush of people trying to watch them...

Also even though wifi can handle the speed and many use it, I have found being hard wired to cause me much less grief...

JackieO

Apr 13, 2015
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I wasn't aware you could DL via Kodi but still prefer to just click and play. However, would be good to know how to DL if I encoutner a particularly buffering issue.

I am on wi-fi but a year ago I was hardwiring (to my then 10mb line) for this very problem but it made no difference even though I was trawling a 30ft cable through the house. I did two speed tests - one on my laptop and one on the box. The laptop generated 48mb and the box registered 37mb.

As for time of day, it varies. Usually it will be 8pm-1am (GMT) but I do watch on my days off, too (Wed, Thurs, Sun).

Stream-wise, I've never really paid too much attention to be honest. I just tried gvideo and though it started streaming okay, the sound was well out of synch. It's never usually more than 0.15 behind (and so I set that to default) but the HD gvideo link of The Force Awakens was massively out, way more than I could amend. Then, after 4 minutes, the picture stalled and so the buffering began.

My add-on of choice is Ex**us. Partly because its the best, partly because most others (SA*TS, Velo**ty, Film.On, MovieStorm, Pho*nix) don't work for me (though that's a different issue).

Personally, I'm happy with SD streams it's just that they often buffer a bit and it irks that I have to avoid HD links.

Thanks

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
Jackie downloading via Ex**us is easy you first have to go into Ex**uses settings and designate where when you want the files to go to. Then go the link where you would normally stream Gvideo etc. Bring up the context menu right click on PC or the three or four little lines on your air mouse remote I think and select download your downloads will show up in a section in Ex**us not surprising named downloads.