Streaming 4K Movies from my NAS drive problem

pebbleridge

Dec 12, 2019
Hi Guys,

I have Kodi 18.5 running on my Sony Android TV, I use it to watch Movies that are stored on my WD NAS drive.

I am connected by WiFi as I was told the TV only has a 10/100 network connection, so WiFi should be faster.

When I watch 1080p contect, all is good.

When I watch a 4K movie it runs for quite a while, then playback stops and Kodi will not respond.

If I turn the TV off and then back on, restart Kodi and pick the same film again, it restarts from the point it stopped and will play happily for a while, then we get the same thing happening again.

Any ideas what might be causing this, I thought it might be WiFi dropping out, but I ran an analyser on my phone while watching a movie and the WiFi never even blinked.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Paul

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
4K on wifi requires a really fast internet. If you can hard wire your device you will get better results. On WiFi I would recommend sticking to 1080

pebbleridge

Dec 12, 2019
Hi RavRob,
I was advised to use WiFi because I was told WiFi would give me more speed than 10/100 Ethernet.
I think I can try hard wired and see what happens.
We really want to watch in 4K the image is so much better.
Regards,
Paul

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Your WiFi will never be faster than your Ethernet. They both connect to the internet but with WiFi you will lose some speed due to interference from walls, electronic objects using the same Ghz (2.4 Ghz is worst try and connect to 5Ghz if you can).
Worth trying hardwired if only for troubleshooting.
I have a NVidia Shield with a 1.5 gbits down and 1gbits up and 4K movies still give me some buffering issues. Mind you, that is when I try and stream a 70 gig movies. If I stream a 20 gig movie, it streams fine with my setup. Try and select a smaller size movie. You will find though that a 4 gig 4K movie is of no better or lesser quality than a 10 gig 1080P movie. The compression just kills any quality you may be looking for.

pebbleridge

Dec 12, 2019
Hi,
I'll definitely try hard-wiring, but I'm out for the next few days.
I'll let you know how I get on.
Regards,
Paul

pebbleridge

Dec 12, 2019
Hi again,
I got the Ethernet cable to the TV.
Tried a big movie and instead of the playback stopping, I now get a "buffering" icon, while the TV catches up.
Not sure how I can fix this!
Paul

pebbleridge

Dec 12, 2019
It plays 1080p perfectly (via WiFi or Ethernet), but that's not really the issue, I want to watch stuff in 4K on my wizzy new TV.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
.As I stated earlier, 4K is extremely demanding. I don't even Bother with 4K on my Shield and it is WAY more powerful than an Android TV. Those TV can run basic stuff but they are not powerful enough to stream 4K.

pebbleridge

Dec 12, 2019
Sorry for delay in replying, not been well.
Tried VLC and it still buffers, also tried the Video Player that was pre-installed on the TV, but that is no better.
Presently watching 4K via a USB stick plugged into the TV.
Everything else if fine over Ethernet.
Regards.
Paul