Streaming 4K Movies from my NAS drive problem?

JohnKarpenter

Jan 22, 2021
Hi Guys,

I have Kodi 18.5 running on my Sony Android TV, I use it to watch Movies that are stored on my WD NAS drive.

I am connected by WiFi as I was told the TV only has a 10/100 network connection, so WiFi should be faster.

When I watch 1080p contect, all is good.

When I watch a 4K movie it runs for quite a while, then playback stops and Kodi will not respond.

If I turn the TV off and then back on, restart Kodi and pick the same film again, it restarts from the point it stopped and will play happily for a while, then we get the same thing happening again.

Any ideas what might be causing this, I thought it might be WiFi dropping out, but I ran an analyser on my phone while watching a movie and the WiFi never even blinked.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
A good laptop or a higher end android such as nVidia Shield with your NAS hard wired to it would likely be better than the RAM a TV might have. Give your laptop a shot see if it might be the wifi or if it is your hardware (TV).
If your TV's only has 10/100 connection via wifi, you might want to try hardwired.

gujal

Developer
Dec 26, 2013
A 100Mbps wired connection is better than any wifi. 4K Streams run at about 60Mbps (though Netflix 4K is only 15Mbps) so should be fine on wired 100Mbps connection.
Why are you using 18.5 which is quite old (Nov 2019). Try with 18.9 and you may have better stability.

JohnKarpenter

Jan 22, 2021
Hi Guys,

I have Kodi 18.5 running on my Sony Android TV, I use it to watch Movies that are stored on my WD NAS drive.

I am connected by WiFi as I was told the TV only has a 10/100 network connection, so WiFi should be faster.

When I watch 1080p contect, all is good.essay writer

When I watch a 4K movie it runs for quite a while, then playback stops and Kodi will not respond.

If I turn the TV off and then back on, restart Kodi and pick the same film again, it restarts from the point it stopped and will play happily for a while, then we get the same thing happening again.

Any ideas what might be causing this, I thought it might be WiFi dropping out, but I ran an analyser on my phone while watching a movie and the WiFi never even blinked.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,