Streaming/airplay xbmc

bosvelt

Jun 9, 2013
Derry
Hello
I have xbmc on my S4, I have a Samsung smart tv connected to router, when watching movies/ tv shows i connect my phone to TV via Mhl > Hdmi cable to watch(works fine), Question, I stream wirelessly to tv from my S4?

mj71

Jan 13, 2013
If you use a gotham build,you can airplay local files from xbmc to another upnp device so it should work to your tv

You need to have it enabled in settings for upnp devices.If you hold down on the file you want to play,you should see the option "play using" and your tv should come up in the list (at least in theory it should work anyways)
It doesnt work with live streaming stuff,only local files already saved
But if you have them saved already,if you play them with the videoplayer on the phone,does it not give you the option to send to the tv anyway?

Last edited:

bosvelt

Jun 9, 2013
Derry
Yes, I can play files that are saved on my phone, I can also stream YouTube and Netflix from my phone without downloading files, I was wondering would it be possible to do the same with XBMC (without downloading) as I can with YouTube?

mj71

Jan 13, 2013
As far as i know the only way to do it wirelessly is with mirroring with something like the allshare cast dongle
Ive never tried it so dont know how effective something like that would be

bosvelt

Jun 9, 2013
Derry
Thanks for reply, I was reading that mirroring is patchy, I have been looking at Android TV boxes, I think I'll invest in a couple of them.

mj71

Jan 13, 2013
Im also not sure as to how or whether it would mirror whilst you are streaming something live to the phone
As you mentioned it could be patchy (if it would work at all)

If your tv is a newer samsung model,there is an option in the s4 settings for screen mirroring.You can see if it connects to your tv (again as far as iknow its the newer samsung tvs that have this built in without the need for a dongle)

Last edited:

Tab

Jul 23, 2013
Depends on the stream I guess, but you could use Yatse remote for android