Stuttering when playing HD sources for TV shows using Android boxes

Bartjunited

Mar 17, 2014
Thanks for that

If there was only a way to automate cache clearing of Genesis that would help loads

And yes I've watched a film on my phone plenty

BeRealx

Jan 24, 2015
The issue will be with the streaming source more than likely
Exactly.. And if the source is slow you'll have to create some distance between you and the buffer.. And without increasing the cache that distance will never get big enough for those slower sources to be successfully watched ever.

You don't have to go the 0 cache route.. You can manually increase the exact limit to what you're comfortable with through the xml file. But for me... I'm. Totally comfortable with having it unlimited.. I have enough space to cover a viewing at a time.

mj71

Jan 13, 2013
This problem is buffering he just describes it with the word stuttering. From one source like movreel he has issues because they're slow... And then while using another source like gvid he has no issues because they're fast enough to keep that small buffer zone ahead while watching a video.

I don't see how zero cache can be a problem. It's the same affect as directly downloading a video except for that during it's download you're viewing the video. It's the same thing as watching a link through your browser...because browsers don't have that cache limiter... So you're able to pause on most sites to the stream download further to create a distance with speeds are slow on their end..

Fact is if you're using a slow source and you don't increase your cache you'll never be able to watch any videos from those sources like movreel.. And from what I can see there is a lot of movreel sources with Genesis.. Because if your buffer/cache/download /stream.. Whatever you want to call it. If that has a limiter on it. And if you can't pause your play allowing some distance between where your at during the moment to the amount of data buffered... You will always catch up to your buffer causing your video to pause/ stutter. It may seem like a stutter because your video continues to play again almost immediately due to the buffer creating a short amount of distance almost immediately after your video pauses.. And with that distance your video would resume almost to immediately stop again because of that gap being closed again.

Thats why i asked earlier if it was a buffering problem or a stuttering problem,they are 2 different things

As far as 0 cache not being a problem,if you say its the same as downloasding the file,well some hd files can be at least a couple of gigs in size,you get an android box that has apps,addons,metadata,zip packages etc etc,you soon run out of space

It constantly happens,we see it all the time on here because people think adding 0 cache cures all streaming problems,but it doesnt and they end up with more problems than when they started

There have been cases of boxes running out of space just with thumbnnail artwork,and thats without trying to cache a couple gig file to their box on top

Buffer and cache are two different things,so saying whatever you want to call it is not right,they are different

But like i said,you can use what you want,just be aware of what the advance settings do and entail,and in this case the poster said they didnt know and it gets a bit crazy when people start telling everyone to use 0 cache as a fix for all their streaming problems.Its not neccesarily the way to go :)

BeRealx

Jan 24, 2015
Thats why i asked earlier if it was a buffering problem or a stuttering problem,they are 2 different things

As far as 0 cache not being a problem,if you say its the same as downloasding the file,well some hd files can be at least a couple of gigs in size,you get an android box that has apps,addons,metadata,zip packages etc etc,you soon run out of space

It constantly happens,we see it all the time on here because people think adding 0 cache cures all streaming problems,but it doesnt and they end up with more problems than when they started

There have been cases of boxes running out of space just with thumbnnail artwork,and thats without trying to cache a couple gig file to their box on top

Buffer and cache are two different things,so saying whatever you want to call it is not right,they are different

But like i said,you can use what you want,just be aware of what the advance settings do and entail,and in this case the poster said they didnt know and it gets a bit crazy when people start telling everyone to use 0 cache as a fix for all their streaming problems.Its not neccesarily the way to go :)
Ya they are 2 different things.. But not everyone will diagnos what they see properly.

I know they're not the same... I used download /cache /buffet etc for the sake of keeping this post going. They're are a lot of terms not properly being used here and I can't stop to define them all at the moment... Especially posting through my phone lol its already annoying enough using it.

As far as space.. Which you can always make more of.. You have to know if you'll be comfortable enough with having it unlimited. Like I said you can manually adjust the exact amount of space and set a limit yourself that's greater than the default.

I'm not saying it's a fix for all streaming problems. I just generally think increasing the cache for this instance will fix the issue the OP is having.

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Sorry to butt in here guys and confuse the matter further but....
There is another factor you need to consider. I've mentioned this a few times but the information seems to get lost or misinterpreted. Anyway, what everyone needs to bear in mind is when all those advanced settings were written for the maintenance tool, they were all written for Frodo. when the org released Gotham they added two extra factors buffermode and readbufferfactor.

The important one that people on here need to consider is the readbufferfactor.

This is different to the cachemembuffer size but it works in conjunction with it.
The readbufferfactor is a multiplier setting that was added to Gotham, and later releases. It's been added to stop xbmc kodi using up all the bandwidth. To the non techies " have you ever run the tap when someone else is running the bath at the same time, if you have, your notice the water pressure drops. This is the same principle".
Anyway with this set at 1 (which it is by default) this means Kodi/xbmc will look for the bit rate of the stream you are playing and fill the buffer level only just enough to play it back. SO... It doesn't matter what cache size you have set in your advancedsettings it will most likely never fill 5MB even with a HD source on genesis. IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MUCH YOU RAISE THE CACHEMEMBBUFFERSIZE WITH THE READBUFFERFACTOR LEFT ON THE DEFAULT SETTING !!
Information on these forums seems to get recycled and most of the advanced settings will have a placebo effect. You can verify how much cache size your stream is using by bringing up the info while playing it if you don't believe me..

The problem with free filehosters is when we stream from them, we tend to get a fairly decent speed for the first 5 mins then as time goes by it tends to drop so.. when then reafbufferfactor is limiting the amount the cache fills up it can cause problems. That's exactly why people tend to get problems 10mins into watching something, (there cache has never been able to reach its potential size).

I recommend trying something like this to start out with, this will make you system behaves just like Frodo did.

<advancedsettings>
<readbufferfactor>25</readbufferfactor>
</network>
</advancedsettings>

It can created using the maintenance tool and tweaked of needed.

Apologies in advanced for all my spelling and grammar.

If you want more info it explains it here:
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache

Last edited:

Bartjunited

Mar 17, 2014
Sorry to butt in here guys and confuse the matter further but....
There is another factor you need to consider. I've mentioned this a few times but the information seems to get lost or misinterpreted. Anyway, what everyone needs to bear in mind is when all those advanced settings were written for the maintenance tool, they were all written for Frodo. when the org released Gotham they added two extra factors buffermode and readbufferfactor.

The important one that people on here need to consider is the readbufferfactor.

This is different to the cachemembuffer size but it works in conjunction with it.
The readbufferfactor is a multiplier setting that was added to Gotham, and later releases. It's been added to stop xbmc kodi using up all the bandwidth. To the non techies " have you ever run the tap when someone else is running the bath at the same time, if you have, your notice the water pressure drops. This is the same principle".
Anyway with this set at 1 (which it is by default) this means Kodi/xbmc will look for the bit rate of the stream you are playing and fill the buffer level only just enough to play it back. SO... It doesn't matter what cache size you have set in your advancedsettings it will most likely never fill 5MB even with a HD source on genesis. IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MUCH YOU RAISE THE CACHEMEMBBUFFERSIZE WITH THE READBUFFERFACTOR LEFT ON THE DEFAULT SETTING !!
Information on these forums seems to get recycled and most of the advanced settings will have a placebo effect. You can verify how much cache size your stream is using by bringing up the info while playing it if you don't believe me..

The problem with free filehosters is when we stream from them, we tend to get a fairly decent speed for the first 5 mins then as time goes by it tends to drop so.. when then reafbufferfactor is limiting the amount the cache fills up it can cause problems. That's exactly why people tend to get problems 10mins into watching something, (there cache has never been able to reach its potential size).

I recommend trying something like this to start out with, this will make you system behaves just like Frodo did.

<advancedsettings>
<readbufferfactor>25</readbufferfactor>
</network>
</advancedsettings>

It can created using the maintenance tool and tweaked of needed.

Apologies in advanced for all my spelling and grammar.

If you want more info it explains it here:
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache
Thanks a bunch for your input
My issues in the end came down to sources and I think I confused the hell out of everyone in the process.

Re your settings file.
Would I amend an existing file with that or create a new file with just that content.

Will any of this help with the cache getting full and then having to manually delete it in Genesis

avd

Jan 5, 2013
Zero cache will work if ya have a decent source but leave it long enough and it will start to fill up. Sometimes you just have to try another source.

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
@Bartjunited if you want to try it out, and your using tuxens advanced settings you could just add the readbufferfactor line in "between the network heading" however if it's working for you there's no real need.

As regards to getting the cache full before reaching required amount message. I would just ignore it, everyone gets that message especially if you skip forward it's not a error message

Video cache is automatically deleted from the ram as soon as the stream stops. The cache you are deleting is metadata, movie thumbnail cache etc so in that regards I doubt it will make much difference :(

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Video Addons 5
A Kodi Support 14
B Kodi Support 1