Bug Suddenly no sound when using KODI with Chromecast

Port Said Red

Mar 14, 2016
Hi All

I guess this may not be the first time this issue has been raised but I couldn't find a thread that was relevant. I have a Lenovo laptop with Kodi (Jarvis 16.1) installed and I use the Cast Entire Screen option on the ChromeCast app to watch it on the TV mostly Ex**us but some Spor**dev*l. I was using at as usual yesterday with no problems, but today I am getting no sound.
I have tried everything I can think of including uninstalling Kodi, uninstalling the Chromecast app, updating Chrome, and resetting the Chromecast stick itself, none of which has had any effect at all.
I notice that the Volume control and the Volume application, keeps returning to zero each time I look at the sound settings when playing a file but changing that has no effect either. Has anyone got/had this problem and a possible solution?

NorthernPlumber

Jun 13, 2016
Can you cast with a phone or another device and have sound? rule out the laptop. Change HDMI ports, check HDMI sound settings make sure they are digital

strike0408

Nov 29, 2012
Canada
Hi All

I guess this may not be the first time this issue has been raised but I couldn't find a thread that was relevant. I have a Lenovo laptop with Kodi (Jarvis 16.1) installed and I use the Cast Entire Screen option on the ChromeCast app to watch it on the TV mostly Ex**us but some Spor**dev*l. I was using at as usual yesterday with no problems, but today I am getting no sound.
I have tried everything I can think of including uninstalling Kodi, uninstalling the Chromecast app, updating Chrome, and resetting the Chromecast stick itself, none of which has had any effect at all.
I notice that the Volume control and the Volume application, keeps returning to zero each time I look at the sound settings when playing a file but changing that has no effect either. Has anyone got/had this problem and a possible solution?
in kodi go to system/system/audio output/and then click on "audio out device" and try the different settings in there and see if that helps...

Port Said Red

Mar 14, 2016
in kodi go to system/system/audio output/and then click on "audio out device" and try the different settings in there and see if that helps...
Thanks for the suggestion, I was playing with this last night. I noticed that when I connected my laptop to my portable soundbar via bluetooth that this became an option I could select. I don't see any option for my JVC TV though.... should I?

strike0408

Nov 29, 2012
Canada
Thanks for the suggestion, I was playing with this last night. I noticed that when I connected my laptop to my portable soundbar via bluetooth that this became an option I could select. I don't see any option for my JVC TV though.... should I?
you should if you connect it to your laptop...

Port Said Red

Mar 14, 2016
you should if you connect it to your laptop...
Well it is via chromecast? Anyway....

I am in a hotel tonight. I have a different chromecast stick and it's plugged into a different TV (obviously) I am still not getting any sound when casting the entire screen, but I am getting sound when I cast Youtube.
When I check the Audio on the file I am playing it says "Unknown Stereo" in the Audio Stream section, but it greyed out and gives no option tto change it. I have tried all the options under Audio in System too. :(

Port Said Red

Mar 14, 2016
I have discovered the answer to my problem. My Chrome browser updated recently and apparently some of the "Chrome flags" are set differently. I needed to enable the flag #disable-audio-support-for-desktop-share
If you (like me) don't know how to do this. type chrome://flags/ into a chrome browser tab to see the list of all the tabs, I then copied in the #disable-audio-support-for-desktop-share line to find it, then clicked enabled and it's all hunky dory now. :)

Port Said Red

Mar 14, 2016
Believe it or not I have an update for this.... If any of you are also unable to cast sound again, like I discovered on Friday. This is the solution.
It's all down to these damn CHROME FLAGS again. So before when my audio stopped working for no apparent reason I had to ENABLE. chrome://flags/#disable-audio-support-for-desktop-share and that fixed the problem.
NOW, strange as it may seem I have to DISABLE the same flag which then gives you a little checkbox to tick when you want to stream the entire screen.
It really is as ridiculous as it sounds, GOOGLE your left and right hands need a chat sometime!!