Support Question -- My Pivos won’t start up – yes I know, I’m asking this question!

shawze

Feb 18, 2013
I recently bought a Pivos XiOS and had the Linux operating system installed on it. I’m not a tech guy, so I paid the money and had someone do it for me. Upon leaving the guy’s house, he showed me it worked, we played a couple of TV shows and movies so I know it works and boots.

When I got home, however, I can’t get the device started, I plug it in and only the middle light (the “!” light) is allumunated. None of the other lights blink or show activity.

I have wireless internet (through Bell in Canada). I’ve rebooted my internet. I’ve unplugged the Pivos and tried to start it again. I’ve attempted to use the remote and it seems the box isn’t responding.

Has this happened to anyone? Can anyone help?

I just want my Pivos working, I mean, is that too much to ask? Haha!

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

riaz1982

Feb 28, 2013
how long do you leave it to boot? Can take a mo, especially given that it has no splash screen until xbmc loads, it can look like its not working.

shawze

Feb 18, 2013
When I plug it in, essentially nothing happens, only the middle light is allumunated. No other lights blink or flicker, which leads me to believe the box isnt responding. I unplug it at the back, wait a couple of minutes and re-try the process. It's weird, because when I went to the individual who installed Linux for me, it worked fine at his place. Any thoughts? ideas?

Panda Monium

Oct 12, 2012
I would suggest you do the following to see if the box will even boot. Prior to plugging in the device take a small object such as paperclip and hold the reset button at the bottom of the device. While holding the reset button plug the power source to the device. If it does boot up you will want to try to select the restart button to attempt to launch XBMC. See if this allows the device to boot. There is an image below to show where you will find the reset button.

mj71

Jan 13, 2013
As riaz says,iyt can take a while to boot up,but if you have left it for a long time and you get nothing,then the only thing you could possibly do is try to reflash the box from scratch

shawze

Feb 18, 2013
So, if I reflash this will I lose everything? As I said, I had Linux installed on it? I would like this to be a last resort if at all possible.

Is there anything else I could try before this?

mj71

Jan 13, 2013
Yes,this will set the box up as a fresh install,but try what pandamonium suggests to see if it even boots up.
Be prepared to lose stuff.
If its just addons that you lose then you can easily install them again with the fusion installer (link in my sig below).It wont take long and once you get used to doing it,you will become great at it :D

If you need help just ask on here,no need to pay anyone to do it for you,its not that hard

Last edited:

Mikey1234

Banned
May 6, 2012
UK
Support Question -- My Pivos won’t start up – yes I know, I’m asking this que...

You will not lose any data !!!!!!!!

It is safe to flash !!!!!!

I do it all the time !!!

mj71

Jan 13, 2013
Ahh yes.does linux save settings mikey?

Does it not depend on which image you reflash with?If its not the same one will he not get a fresh install? I know when i tried different images on the jynxbox,it restarted as fresh install each time as i tried different images.No addons were saved and had to do it from scratch

Last edited:

Mikey1234

Banned
May 6, 2012
UK
Support Question -- My Pivos won’t start up – yes I know, I’m asking this que...

Any flash I have done keeps settings

mj71

Jan 13, 2013
Wonder if its a pivos build thing
As i say,the different builds i tried on the jynxbox were obviously from different builds/versions of other ports so maybe thats the reason.Different one each time

shawze

Feb 18, 2013
It's really weird, in a matter of 30 minutes it went from working fine, too not working at all with only the middle (!) light on and no other lights blinking to indicicate its working. I'll give it another try tonight, but if not, then I guess I'll reflash it. Fingers crossed, and thanks for your help.

Nukeybrown

May 13, 2012
Sounds like its going into standby mode. Like in a timed standby. Is it always the same amount of time. Or does it vary

shawze

Feb 18, 2013
It literally just started this. The guy installed Linux for me. Showed me it worked at his place, and then when I got home, nothing. I unplugged the power supply, plugged it back in, and still nothing. Did the same with my wireless internet, and nothing.

Anything else I should be trying?

ccadi

May 7, 2012
RepubliK of Mancunia
Somebody's got to ask the dumb questions.

has the hdmi lead been checked?
Is the tv set to the correct hdmi output
The internet connection maynot be functioning, hence no net light.
put it it in recovery mode and confirm you have a display before proceeding with other stuff

shawze

Feb 18, 2013
Internet connection works, as I checked that and can surf on my laptop?
And it is on the proper HDMI output
How does one check the HDMI lead as well, how do you put it in recovery mode?
Is that the same as reflashing?

Mikey1234

Banned
May 6, 2012
UK

Just hold down the reset button underneath while booting

Keep it pressed in until on recovery screen

JustFun

Feb 21, 2013
I had the black screen issue, but it turned out to be my hdmi cable, once I used the hdmi cable that came with the pivos, my issue went stopped.