Troggy and his image

Dunkle

Jun 5, 2013
Troggy, it's brilliant !

I've used it to make my own "one screen" xbmc where everything I use is all on that one page and two of my mates have an exact image of it too

It works great. It's fast and it works. What more could you ask for .

However I do have one tiny issue ( which may not be anything to do with the build )

When playing some things from hacker mill on mashup ( hd tv in the main) it stutters and buffers like crazy and I get a very quick "error" message saying so etching about cache being full. It flashes up so quick I can't see what it actually says

Dunkle

Jun 5, 2013
It's twds the current tail end of marks sticky image thread above
It's based on one of the custom builds but it's great and I'm loving it
Also for those wanting USB install it's all there and very very easy to do

If only I could solve my "cache full" issue

mj71

Jan 13, 2013
Its to do with advancesettings and cachmembuffer setting

It tells that you're downloading slower than what the playtime is plus buffer space and will probably have to stop and buffer again later

You could try and tweak cachemembuffer settings to help things,but be careful not to mess things up ;)

Quote from bstrdskr "Somehow, there is a common misconception that this setting will allow you to avoid buffering. IT WILL NOT. The amount of time you have to wait for buffering is ALWAYS going to be the same for a given connection speed. If you have the RAM, what it will allow you to do is start playback and pause and let the buffer fill in the beginning, rather than on the fly as is empties. If you can fit the whole file (x3) in your buffer, you can let it buffer the whole file at the beginning then come back and watch when it's done. Whether all at the beginning, or broken up into chunks through out playback, the amount of time is still exactly the same.

Expecting a bigger buffer to make buffering faster is like expecting a bigger gas tank to make a car go faster"

MarkRich

Banned
May 13, 2012
I'm waiting for Troggy to get with me on his modifications so I can incorporate them into my image, do note that he last stated the mods were still test phase, so there will be bugs.

Dunkle

Jun 5, 2013
Its to do with advancesettings and cachmembuffer setting

It tells that you're downloading slower than what the playtime is plus buffer space and will probably have to stop and buffer again later

You could try and tweak cachemembuffer settings to help things,but be careful not to mess things up ;)

Quote from bstrdskr "Somehow, there is a common misconception that this setting will allow you to avoid buffering. IT WILL NOT. The amount of time you have to wait for buffering is ALWAYS going to be the same for a given connection speed. If you have the RAM, what it will allow you to do is start playback and pause and let the buffer fill in the beginning, rather than on the fly as is empties. If you can fit the whole file (x3) in your buffer, you can let it buffer the whole file at the beginning then come back and watch when it's done. Whether all at the beginning, or broken up into chunks through out playback, the amount of time is still exactly the same.

Expecting a bigger buffer to make buffering faster is like expecting a bigger gas tank to make a car go faster"
Cheers
I believe this image, from what read, uses the following instead of cache buffer

<alwaysforcebuffer>true</alwaysforcebuffer>
<freememorycachepercent>5</freememorycachepercent>

trogggy

May 6, 2012
France
Cheers
I believe this image, from what read, uses the following instead of cache buffer

Where are you getting that from Dunkle?
I took the build from the first post of this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=169674
If you look in the 2nd link you can see the advancedsettings.xml that's incorporated in it, and the network-related stuff is:
<network>
<cachemembuffersize>2621440</cachemembuffersize>
<alwaysforcebuffer>0</alwaysforcebuffer>
<limitcacherate>false</limitcacherate>
<curlclienttimeout>30</curlclienttimeout>
</network>
Playing around with some of those settings might improve things - or (maybe) try the link that's causing a problem with a standard 3.2 build, repeat with the rbej image and compare the logs.
Sorry I can't be more help with that, I haven't had time to mess at all for the last few days.
It does sound, though (from reading mj71's post) as if it might just be down to slow links. In which case you'll see the same whatever version you use.

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Rbej's images are extremely prone to changes and bugs its constantly evolving, and are more experimentation builds where he and others try new commits (change in code) from all sorts of different sources. Do not expect stability. There are 87 pages of bug reports fixes and updates since page 1. And things move real fast.
As said this is beyond bleeding edge for the brave. :) I recommend you browse the thread if you take the plunge. As said its more of a test thread to figure out what new experimental features functions well and what doesn't and it focuses a lot on pvr. Something good is sure coming out of this but I got tired of it all pretty fast.

As to your problem a new buffer scheme is being tested in that version and is likely the culprit. + its Gotham XBMC in alpha stage. He's Gotham builds are broken ATM but you can try a Frodo one.

Last edited:

trogggy

May 6, 2012
France
Quite right. I did try to make that clear when I posted it.
Having said that - the last Frodo build I tried was great - I used it for about 3 months with no issues. I've not played with this build much - not had the time so far - but I haven't come across any major issues yet. The last couple of rbej Gotham builds have been pretty buggy though. As you'd expect, really.

Edit: always been 3 g's btw Tuxen. That way I can use the same name most places 'cos no other bugger's taken it.
The only problem so far is on Steam, where I think I registered once years ago but I can't find the details - so now I'm troggggy there. ;)

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark

We have been trying to explain this since the forum started but the questions still have not subsided. Some still think there's a magic setting you can put in advancedsettings and fix all buffing lol.

Last edited:

trogggy

May 6, 2012
France
As to your problem a new buffer scheme is being tested in that version and is likely the culprit. + its Gotham XBMC in alpha stage. He's Gotham builds are broken ATM but you can try a Frodo one.
It's a Frodo build - the 15th September one which is based on 3.2 AFAIK.

trogggy

May 6, 2012
France
I can see how it reads like that.
No, it's the latest frodo build from rbej's links in post #1 of that thread.

Sorry for the confustication.

Dunkle

Jun 5, 2013
Where are you getting that from Dunkle?
I took the build from the first post of this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=169674
If you look in the 2nd link you can see the advancedsettings.xml that's incorporated in it, and the network-related stuff is:

Playing around with some of those settings might improve things - or (maybe) try the link that's causing a problem with a standard 3.2 build, repeat with the rbej image and compare the logs.
Sorry I can't be more help with that, I haven't had time to mess at all for the last few days.
It does sound, though (from reading mj71's post) as if it might just be down to slow links. In which case you'll see the same whatever version you use.
Sorry. I assumed you got it from http://openelec.tv/forum/124-raspberry-pi/58671-my-custom-builds-openelec

No more cachemembuffersize in advenced setting. Please delete it and add this:

1. alwaysforcebuffer: This will force everything ran through dvdplayer to be buffered that would not be normal buffered except Optical Media. This includes SMB, Local Files, OS Network Shares, etc.

2. freememorycachepercent: The amount of free memory to use as buffer size. Please note that of the percentage of free memory used ~75% will be used for forward buffering and ~25% will be used for the back buffer.

Dunkle

Jun 5, 2013
For comparisons sake is there an easy way I can turn your test build into an official 3.2 build ?
This has the easiest usb install yet

trogggy

May 6, 2012
France
@ Dunkle...
Have you got a copy of Mark's 3.2 image still? If so is it sd card or usb?
You could copy and paste stuff across from the image I made to Mark's build by sticking Mark's storage partition in the pi and then using explorer or Filezilla.
Assuming you have Mark's image on usb, you're using Explorer and the pi is currently running the rbej-based image:

Stick Marks usb stick in the pi.
Open the pi in explorer (\\Openelec or \\IPaddressofpi).
In explorer open Media > Storage. You're now looking at Mark's usb stick.
Open the pi in another explorer window (same way), this time open the Storage folder. This is looking at the rbej storage partition.
Copy the .xbmc folder from the rbej-based build into Mark's stick. You can either delete the .xbmc folder in Mark's stick first or overwrite, it shouldn't make any difference (most of it's from Mark's stick anyway). Or re-name Mark's .xbmc folder first so you can easily go back if you want - that's what I tend to do.
Copy the backgrounds folder to the root of Mark's stick (you only need the 1 file the skin is pointing to, but it won't do any harm). If you're not using that image you don't need the folder.
If you want to keep full access to the storage partition in explorer copy the samba.conf file (in storage > .config) across to Mark's stick.
Switch off pi. Put Mark's sd card / usb in. Switch on pi. Cross fingers.

If Mark's build is on sd nothing really changes, you still have to find his storage partition in Media; you can do this in Filezilla if you're comfortable with it, and it will be quicker. Back up Mark's card first so when it doesn't work and all goes horribly wrong it isn't a crisis.

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Why not just "update" to official 3.2 the usual way? Test! Don't like it "update" to rbej usual way again?
What am I missing?

Last edited:

Dunkle

Jun 5, 2013
Why not just "update" to official 3.2 the usual way? Test! Don't like it "update" to rbej usual way again?
What am I missing?
Can you actually update from a custom image the same ?

How do I browse my pi on a pc ? I type in my IP address but I don't get a file explorer window but rather one listed as xbmc with remote, movies, tv shows, music at the top of screen

Last edited:

trogggy

May 6, 2012
France
What am I missing?
You'd have to do the lib update again for one - IIRC Dunkle was having problems with the install and it's already in Mark's image. As far as I remember RJEB has the latest lib, 3.2 std doesn't. Maybe I've got that wrong and have massively overcomplicated though.