Trying out a Klll android TV box and finding it working exceptional

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
I have had an Nvidia shield on my main TV since it became available. I thought I'd build and experiment with a new android, so I can give it to my daughter after I play around with it.

So I received it yesterday and set it up and have been putting it through the ringer and I cannot believe how fast it is compared to my shield. It may even be faster.

I took it apart to put some electrical tape over the led inside and noticed it's an extremely compact and simple circuitboard with only a few noted components on it. It also runs extremely cool, hardly any heat generated whatsoever. There is no fan hence no noise coming from it.

This box gives me a 3850 x 2160 output registering exactly that on my tv.

I've been looking for flaws especially the picture quality and stability, awaiting the flickering and uneven movement so noticeable with all the cheap Chinese made androids and rock chip in general, and I find none whatsoever.

This thing is a winner. I can't find anything negative at all with it.

It cost me 58 dollars, I bought it on eBay so I'd get good shipping time, which I did. You can get them closer to the 50 dollar range if you shop around on the Chinese dot coms.

For now my shield sits unplugged while I continue to use the Klll. I am very impressed.

Last edited:

hammerjammer

Jul 28, 2015
thanks for the review. i have been looking at this box or a qbox to order next week for my fathers day gift hahaha. but with four usb ports this box edges out the qbox. ive been hearing nothing but good about this box so i think thats the way i will go. update..... i just ordered it. i couldnt take it any longer. my tronsmart mxlll keeps dropping wi fi signal and i can barely get through a movie. funny thing is the tronsmart has been a great box up until about two or three weeks ago. and nothing has changed in my network so it must be the box. i'll report back once i get the klll next week.

Last edited:

Chadman

Oct 12, 2014
I would probably use one of these plugged in, but my concern is always wifi when it comes time to recommend to others. Range and speed at range are the things I never see reviewed. We all know that most internet speed issues are related to the server end, but this may be one of those rare ones where it isn't.

hammerjammer

Jul 28, 2015
the mxlll i'm replacing is only 10 feet from my router so i cant say as to range but the speed on wireless has always been good. i have 100 mb internet and playing movies i have never had buffering problems. well maybe the odd movie but that was due to the the server. all i have to do in that case is choose a different link and the movie almost always plays thru with no problems. but the mxlll i'm replacing is getting a little old and time to upgrade it. it does have 2.4 and 5 g but the drops are happening on both. and my even older cs918 in my bedroom farther away has never had a problem on wireless.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
thanks for the review. i have been looking at this box or a qbox to order next week for my fathers day gift hahaha. but with four usb ports this box edges out the qbox. ive been hearing nothing but good about this box so i think thats the way i will go. update..... i just ordered it. i couldnt take it any longer. my tronsmart mxlll keeps dropping wi fi signal and i can barely get through a movie. funny thing is the tronsmart has been a great box up until about two or three weeks ago. and nothing has changed in my network so it must be the box. i'll report back once i get the klll next week.
I had drops in my WiFi as well. I downloaded WiFi Fixer from the play store. That totaly fixed my drops. Happy camper since I started to use it almost a year ago.

hammerjammer

Jul 28, 2015
thanks for the tip ravrob. man is there a program they dont make for android? i'll have to try that when my wife gives me back the tv hahaha. but seriously even if that fixes it i'm going to give that box to my brother, he doesnt have one and i've been telling him all the great things you can do with it.

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
I plan on doing a little wifi test with it. My farthest tv I have a windows HP mini stream and it struggles real bad to get wifi. It doesn't have an antenna (built in) so This Klll has two BUT one is a fake, only one of them has a wire running to it. It was funny when I opened it up and noticed that. But still I bet this one will do fine with the one antenna. Give me some time here.

BTW I live in Orlando area and we are still in shock from the news this morning.

fracl

Jan 1, 2015
So I received it yesterday and set it up and have been putting it through the ringer and I cannot believe how fast it is compared to my shield. It may even be faster.
After reading this comment, and Knowing how much you like you Nvidia shield,.. I just had to order one..lol

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
After reading this comment, and Knowing how much you like you Nvidia shield,.. I just had to order one..lol
You won't be disappointed, even though this cheapie is good, and is close to the shield in many ways, the shield actually is a better unit, has a better cpu and more ram, very slightly clearer picture (maybe 1% clearer) and is a rock solid android, built better than it needs to be for simple kodi use.

The klll is good if you are on a tight budget or can't afford a shield, it's the "next best thing".

Makes me wonder what the next generation of android pcs will bring. The shield will someday be second to some other new machine that isn't out yet, curious as to how much better they can do.

Yeah terrorism we see on the news all the time but when it hits right in my own neighborhood on a road I travel on every day, that's different. And I had to attend a funeral for a family member on Friday so we were already mourning this weekend. Messing around with this little klll box cheered me up a bit.

photoplay

Sep 18, 2012
TheLion, thinking about buying one but have a few questions:

-any issues with downloading and installing apps from the PlayStore on the KIII? Read a few reviews of people complaining about errors/error messages from the PlayStore.
-did it come with a US plug or did they give you an adapter to fit a US power outlet.
-any further insight or comments in performance or issues since your last post.

Thanks

fracl

Jan 1, 2015
TheLion, thinking about buying one but have a few questions:

-any issues with downloading and installing apps from the PlayStore on the KIII? Read a few reviews of people complaining about errors/error messages from the PlayStore.
-did it come with a US plug or did they give you an adapter to fit a US power outlet.
-any further insight or comments in performance or issues since your last post.

Thanks
The Plug thing is something you select before ordering. if you live in Europe you pick a plug for Europe.. and so on. and as far as the playStore errors go!? I don't see the box having anything to do with this. i could be wrong but, it's just like any android phone or box and if you get an error? just make sure your account is setup correctly.

photoplay

Sep 18, 2012
fraci, thanks for your reply. Before my initial post I had checked most of the popular Chinese sites and very few give you the option to choose the correct plug before or after putting it in your cart. Most say something along the lines of an adapter for your region being included(I'm not interested) and on eBay there was only one seller (that I know of) that gave you a choice and he is sold out; therefore the reason I asked TheLion about the electrical plug from his eBay purchase.

As far as the possible PlayStore issue; from what I read/saw the issue had nothing to do with the account setup problems but appeared to me to be some sort of firmware/software problem causing the errors/popup messages when trying to download and install an app.

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
It does come with American plug for me, and no issues watsoever with playstore, everything loads and works as it should.

Sorry for my absence but I just bought a geek box and it is a total piece of garbage, was struggling with it last night big time.
It crashes randomly, freezes actually no way out uness you unplug it. Mis engineered or possibly defective.

I would highly recommend to stay far away from geekbox, and at the same time I would highly recommend the klll.

I may make another post for the geekbox, it really stinks so far, I am not impressed, may return it and get my money back.

Last edited:

Smartie38

May 13, 2015
If the KIII supports proper 23.976 playback (so you don't get the infamous very visible judder every 41 seconds during playback} then it's a bargain at that price. After trying many cheap Android tv boxes I got the minix u1, main reason of buying it was for proper 23.976 playback and good customer support with frequent firmware updates when/if needed.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

hammerjammer

Jul 28, 2015
i just got mine this afternoon. i got to say i'm loving it so far. coming from a tronsmart mxlll that had alot of judder, stutter and crazy freezes. i have only watched one movie so far but the picture was outstanding. it was only 720p and not 1080p. i will look for a 1080p movie later tonight. i noticed the movie loaded alot faster on this box as well. i did remove some bloatware, uninstalled the version of kodi and the addons that came with it. installed spmc and the addons i wanted, a new launcher and a nice wallpaper. i am very pleased with this box. and thanks to TheLion for the review. as far as the play store problem, i have read about that but when i got mine it works great. was able to download the wallpaper and launcher from the playstore with no problem.

Last edited:

photoplay

Sep 18, 2012
hammerjammer, where did you buy it from and what version of Kodi came with it? Trying to get a lead on a reputable seller, good/fair pricing and US electrical plug and shipping times.

Last edited:

hammerjammer

Jul 28, 2015
got it from ebay $59.00. it came with kodi 16.0. with addons. i always run spmc because it was made for android. if buying from ebay look for sellers in the usa not the chinese sellers. if you buy one from china you will be waiting a couple months to get it. i got mine in four days. when looking to buy only from the us look to the left hand side of your screen on ebay and scroll down. it will let you choose where it comes from.

Last edited:

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
got it from ebay $59.00. it came with kodi 16.0. with addons. i always run spmc because it was made for android. if buying from ebay look for sellers in the usa not the chinese sellers. if you buy one from china you will be waiting a couple months to get it. i got mine in four days. when looking to buy only from the us look to the left hand side of your screen on ebay and scroll down. it will let you choose where it comes from.
I got mine from same person on ebay it sounds like.

Yup I told ou it's a great box especially for the money they're asking. Really 59 dollars is pocket change.

It gives my shield a run for its money.

hammerjammer

Jul 28, 2015
wow i just downloaded and ran speed test and this is the fastest box i ever had. i'm paying for 100 mbs and i usually get about 80 to 90 mbs on my desktop thats wired. with this box i am getting around 80 mbs wireless but it is only around 10 feet from the router. but still every other android box i have owned only got about 35 mbs. this thing seriously impresses me. it seems i get 90 percent of the nvidea shield at 1/3 the price.

Last edited: