Tv brief loss of signal when loading kodi since being on 17

axxel6307

Aug 14, 2015
I've got several fire devices and a nvidia shield tv running Kodi. My gen 1 fire tv box will lose tv signal for about 3 seconds when opening kodi or when returning to the amazon tv home screen. It's not my tv, as I've tried it on other tv's in the home. I've already factory reset it and upgraded kodi to 17.3. It began doing this from kodi 17.0 and later. Prior to that, no problems, and I even put kodi 16 back on briefly to see and it again did NOT have the problem on kodi 16.

Any suggestions?

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
Sounds like a problem that would be better addressed on the official Kodi forums...

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Sounds like kodi is just adjusting itself to the television, adjusting resolution and refresh rate.
Similar to another post they have obviously changed something in Kodi 17 that results in this.
It's probably a good thing as it should bring smoother playback and stop skipped frames.

If your finding your missing the first few seconds of playback you can delay this in the kodi settings.
Think it's under display > delay after refresh rate > (set to 3 seconds)

Last edited:

axxel6307

Aug 14, 2015
Sounds like kodi is just adjusting itself to the television, adjusting resolution and refresh rate.
Similar to another post they have obviously changed something in Kodi 17 that results in this.
It's probably a good thing as it should bring smoother playback and stop skipped frames.

If your finding your missing the first few seconds of playback you can delay this in the kodi settings.
Think it's under display > delay after refresh rate > (set to 3 seconds)
Thanks I was able to fix it. You were right it was adjusting to refresh rate. When I took it off auto and set it to fixed rate, it is no longer doing that. Thanks.

Jacksuarez7

Aug 17, 2012
Hi,

Sorry to hijack this thread (and I note your questions hasn't received any answers over at the official Kodi forum...) but I just wanted to double check where the setting was you changed and what you changed it from and to? I have an AFTV1 and I noticed the same behaviour after updating to Krypton....I wasn't sure if it was connected to the recent update of the Firetv OS but obviously not. I had a look last night in the display settings and whilst I see the 'delay after refresh rate' (and I changed it) - it didn't make any difference. The 'issue' isn't playback it's related to when I open Kodi or when it goes to sleep - momentary loss of signal - I don't get this on playback of video. When I say 'issue' it isn't really a problem, just different marginally annoying stuff that didn't happen before the upgrade. Any advice greatly appreciated, cheers.

axxel6307

Aug 14, 2015
Hi,

Sorry to hijack this thread (and I note your questions hasn't received any answers over at the official Kodi forum...) but I just wanted to double check where the setting was you changed and what you changed it from and to? I have an AFTV1 and I noticed the same behaviour after updating to Krypton....I wasn't sure if it was connected to the recent update of the Firetv OS but obviously not. I had a look last night in the display settings and whilst I see the 'delay after refresh rate' (and I changed it) - it didn't make any difference. The 'issue' isn't playback it's related to when I open Kodi or when it goes to sleep - momentary loss of signal - I don't get this on playback of video. When I say 'issue' it isn't really a problem, just different marginally annoying stuff that didn't happen before the upgrade. Any advice greatly appreciated, cheers.
It's in the Fire Tv display settings. It was originally default "auto" and I changed it to 720, 60hz to match my older tv.

Last edited:

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
If you can live with the brief pausing and your TV can support it, then leaving alone should give you better playback.

Last edited:

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
It's in the Fire Tv display settings. It was originally default "auto" and I changed it to 720, 60hz to match my older tv.
Yeah this makes sense, changing the Android OS to match Kodi would resolve the issue. As it stands it sounds like Android is set 60hz whilst Kodi is set to 50hz (or the opposite), so you see the switch when opening Kodi. Matching the hz on both would remove the need for the refresh rate change.