Ummm.....confused over new builds/skins

JackieO

Apr 13, 2015
So I've been using Confluence since day one (the builds from TVAddons - currently Jarvis) and it seems rather basic compared to what I've seen onlie and what guy friends say they have - especially live TV options (including channels such as BBC, ITV, Sky Sports 1, 2, 3 etc - plus I feel like a changce and so I thought I'd try out some new skins before trying totally different builds like ****** and The ***** but I am confused. :confused:

1) I tried Aeon Nox and though it had a LIVE TV section I was thrown off by the fact you didn't get add-on options when you enter a category (eg: movies) but instead defaulted to an add-on (no idea which one, by the way). Ex**us is my add-on of choice - it's the best. Why did it do this? Why the lack of choice?

2) Whichever film I selected, I didn't get a choice of streams - it just started to play. I suppose this is nice as it speeds up the viewing process but why the lack of choice? I like the choice of multiple streams in case you have issues with the one you selected.

3) What's the difference between a build and a skin?

4) On Confluence I can load an overall background pic but not a different pic for when the ribbon highlights different sections and though it's nice to have TV included within movies, sometimes it's nice to have separate categories. These are minor elements though and of more interest is better integration of live TV and sports and approach the as regular channels as opposed to a list of available televisual content and so with that, are there any recommended builds - including performance-wise) other than the standard build?

5) Have I been right to stick to the optimised build that TVAddons provides or is it best [ractice to update builds periodically?

Thanks in advance x

Last edited by a moderator:

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
1) I tried Aeon Nox and though it had a LIVE TV section I was thrown off by the fact you didn't get add-on options when you enter a category (eg: movies) but instead defaulted to an add-on (no idea which one, by the way). Ex**us is my add-on of choice - it's the best.
You can customize all that, from the number of categories to the title of the categories, to where it links and the entire sub menu as well... You just need to get into the skin settings and start tweaking...

2) Whichever film I selected, I didn't get a choice of streams - it just started to play the film you clicked on. I suppose this is nice as it speeds up the viewing process (cureently I click a film/tv show, wait 10-30 seconds whilst the add-on gathers streams and then choose a stream) but I like the choice of multiple streams in case you have issues with the one you selected.
That is because someone set the autoplay options, go into the add-on settings and unclick it, again this is a customization option you can change in many add-ons...

3) What's the difference between a build and a skin? I appreciate a skin is the look and features of Kodi but that alo seems to overlap with what a build is and does.
A build is a complete package, including all included add-ons, installed, configured and setup by the builder to their liking, as well as a fully configured skin again fully configured and set up by the builder...

A skin simply changes the look of your existing configuration...

4) I've been happy with confluence for the 3 years I've been using Kodi but would like a bit more at times and it's always nice to shake things up. I can load an overall background pic but not a different pic for when the ribbon highlights different sections and though it's nice to have TV included within movies, sometimes it's nice to have separate categories. These are minor elements though and aren't essential - just would be nice to spice things up a little. Of more interest is better integration of live TV and sports and approach the as regular channels as opposed to a list of available televisual content and so with that, are there any recommended builds - including performance-wise) other than the standard build?
I don't use Confluence so I can't comment on how in depth it can be customized, but I know that with Aeon Nox you can do all sorts of customization and make it yours... I suspect Confluence is similar once you dig into all the configuration options...

Last edited:

Chadman

Oct 12, 2014
If you want a similar look with all the options of other skins, try Xonfluence.

The LiveTV tab is just opening an addon (Vidtime or Pho*nix or whatever). And, of course, Live TV is the hardest and least reliable part of Kodi.

2) Whichever film I selected, I didn't get a choice of streams - it just started to play. I suppose this is nice as it speeds up the viewing process but why the lack of choice? I like the choice of multiple streams in case you have issues with the one you selected.
Different addons, different setup. The movies tab opened directly to an addon. You can change this in the skin settings. You can have it open directly into Ex**us movies (though for Xonfluence and probably Aeon Nox, you have to add that section to favourites first).

Short answer, builds bad, skins good. Builds come with a set of addons and settings. But you lose the ability to get support from this forum. The developers and users of this forum do not (and cannot) help you with problems caused by a build and will direct you to the build makers forum.

4) On Confluence I can load an overall background pic but not a different pic for when the ribbon highlights different sections and though it's nice to have TV included within movies, sometimes it's nice to have separate categories. These are minor elements though and of more interest is better integration of live TV and sports and approach the as regular channels as opposed to a list of available televisual content and so with that, are there any recommended builds - including performance-wise) other than the standard build?
Xonfluence can do different pics for each section.
TV and video can be separate categories in Confluence, if you have files in your library (which Ex**us can't do).
You can certainly add an addon with LiveTV or Sports to the main screen under Xonfluence.

5) Have I been right to stick to the optimised build that TVAddons provides or is it best [ractice to update builds periodically?
I wouldn't even use the build on TVAddons, since you already know what addons you like. Just use the addon installer from fusion. You may want to play around on the repositories and try some addons out, too. Also, pick around the forums here and see what people recommend in some of the threads.

Good luck.

spanky

Dec 25, 2012
So I've been using Confluence since day one (the builds from TVAddons - currently Jarvis) and it seems rather basic compared to what I've seen onlie and what guy friends say they have - especially live TV options (including channels such as BBC, ITV, Sky Sports 1, 2, 3 etc - plus I feel like a changce and so I thought I'd try out some new skins before trying totally different builds like ****** and The ***** but I am confused. :confused:

1) I tried Aeon Nox and though it had a LIVE TV section I was thrown off by the fact you didn't get add-on options when you enter a category (eg: movies) but instead defaulted to an add-on (no idea which one, by the way). Ex**us is my add-on of choice - it's the best. Why did it do this? Why the lack of choice?

Thanks in advance x
please do not purposely by pass the forum censorship!, i have edited your post and removed it!!
https://forums.tvaddons.co/getting-started-with-kodi/21784-what-is-the.html
https://forums.tvaddons.co/announcements/26217-forum-rules-please-read.html

Last edited:

JackieO

Apr 13, 2015
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I wasn't aware so much was customisable. Too much of Kodi sems to be 'here's how to install kodi, you're on your own now' and though we have this fantastic forum with helpful members, so much is unknown until it it's brought up (like now). I wish someone would create a guide not only to installation but tweaking as you have already mentioned as well as covering well-known issues such as common issues, trouble-shooting and log files so as to reduce a lot of the same-old, same-old threads. But I digress, I'll have a play around and see if I can get it to defalt movies to Ex**us.

Apologies for editing, I wasn't aware it was due to those builds being viewed in a bad light.

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
Apologies for editing, I wasn't aware it was due to those builds being viewed in a bad light.
Your post does a good job of highlighting why they are viewed in a bad light. You've installed one of these builds then come here asking for help because you have no idea what is going on with your setup since installing it :) If you'd have created the setup from scratch you'd know exactly what everything was doing & why it was doing it, but by installing someone else's build you are now confused as to what is happening, i.e. with your Movies tab.

If you want to read up on Kodi customisation and how everything works, the wiki is probably the best resource out there, it covers pretty much everything you need to know, trouble is not many people spend the time reading it & instead prefer to sit through hours of youtube 'tutorials' which are generally full of misinformation http://kodi.wiki/view/Main_Page

JackieO

Apr 13, 2015
Your post does a good job of highlighting why they are viewed in a bad light. You've installed one of these builds then come here asking for help because you have no idea what is going on with your setup since installing it :) If you'd have created the setup from scratch you'd know exactly what everything was doing & why it was doing it, but by installing someone else's build you are now confused as to what is happening, i.e. with your Movies tab.
Naw, man. When I bought my box I uninstalled what was on it (some eBayer's home made build) and installed via TVAddons. Unfortunately, all it did was tell you how to install - nothing else. Certainly none of the cool tweaks I mentioned above. I didn't even know what a log file was until I got a problem and someone here advised to post a log (and then had to walk me through it).

If you want to read up on Kodi customisation and how everything works, the wiki is probably the best resource out there, it covers pretty much everything you need to know, trouble is not many people spend the time reading it & instead prefer to sit through hours of youtube 'tutorials' which are generally full of misinformation http://kodi.wiki/view/Main_Page
I admit, I prefer to see in action rather than read. Will give it a look though.

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
O Jackie lol I see you have posted your log files in a few places hopefully someone can help you with all that code. I noticed you have several add-ons and you say nothing has worked for months. I am curious when was the last time you just deleted kodi and started from scratch? It seems like a scary thing to do the first time but it fixes most problems. As time goes by you'll pick up bugs in your system, files will become corrupt and it will jack up your box, could be in a minor or a major way. I dread doing it every month or so because once you get your settings the way you like them you dont wanna have to go through the hassle of setting it up all over again... In truth it only takes a few minutes to set back up if you have Trakt integration all your favorite shows are saved for you. I highly recommend you delete Kodi and just install a few add-ons with the installer. I would almost guarantee that will fix you problems.

JackieO

Apr 13, 2015
Hiya,

Sorry - I've been away for a few days and just got back. Not read the other posts yet. In answer to your question, I last reinstalled about 6 weeks ago. I didn't have Trakt at the time so yeah, it was a pain. I reset again within a week (can't remember why) and had to redo Trakt for some reason, and across multiple add-ons, which was annoying. So you do yours each month - eek!

I've bee DL the optimised version from here (which comes with pre-insalled add-ons and programs) on the understanding that, as the name implies, it's optimised for faster and more stable performance. Is this not true?

Chadman

Oct 12, 2014
Are you talking about Freetelly for Windows and Mac?

I only used it once just to try it out. I don't know about optimization. I'm confident it won't cause any problems, though. Like any build, it is going to have some addons you don't want and I know it is missing some that I consider must haves, as well.

I would just do a fresh install, install addon installer and use it to grab the addons you like and have used.

My unsolicted suggestions for video must haves:
Str**m All T** Sou**es (great for all kinds of movies, maximum number of sources and quality)
Ex**us (great source, like above, less sources, but easier to use)
Vidtime (lots of stuff together. Install f4m tester and f4m proxy to have access to live TV and sports)

Must haves for kids:
cartoons8 (just about every cartoon you can think of. the best source for cartoons and anime)
Animal TV (live streams of animals)

Optional/alternatives:
Cas**way (sports. works well with the subreddits)
Game Movie Database (videos edited together from the cinema scenes of videogames to make a movie)

Music must haves:
MP3 Streams (search and play a song or a whole album)
Radio (Radio streams from around the world. added by going from main screen system>addons>install from repo>all>music, not the addon installer)
Jango (pick an artist and it will create a radio station of songs by that artist and similar ones)

Even if you install them all, its only 10 addons.

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
Chadman is right and to add to that the more add-ons you have the less Ram you will have to run kodi and Kodi is a Ram sucking monster lol. Android boxes simply don't have a lot of Ram to begin with. If you Max it out you are going to run into performance issues. So only add the add ons you use. Also give the following thread I wrote a read. It is the outlined method of how I fixed all of my ram issues. There are other methods but it works well form my 1 gig box.

JackieO

Apr 13, 2015
I wouldn't even use the build on TVAddons, since you already know what addons you like. Just use the addon installer from fusion. You may want to play around on the repositories and try some addons out, too. Also, pick around the forums here and see what people recommend in some of the threads.
This sounds like the 'done' thing is to manually do things yourself but I was under the impression that the smart people DL the optimised versions here at TVAddons because, well, they're optimised, the most stable and most streamlined - is that not the case?

Cheers. Will it detail how to customise every aspect - such as not having to choose a stream but have a film automatically play and be able to have the background picture change when I scroll along the ribbon, and most of all, how to ensure that when Kodi opens, the ribbon defaults to 'movies' and not 'music' as it currently does?

Last edited:

Chadman

Oct 12, 2014
This sounds like the 'done' thing is to manually do things yourself but I was under the impression that the smart people DL the optimised versions here at TVAddons because, well, they're optimised, the most stable and most streamlined - is that not the case?
Anytime you have addons you are not using, its not streamlined. I don't think its "optimized", since I doubt it plays around with your settings, at all. Its more like a sample pack for beginners. Go for it. Don't go for it. It won't matter.

Cheers. Will it detail how to customise every aspect - such as not having to choose a stream but have a film automatically play and be able to have the background picture change when I scroll along the ribbon, and most of all, how to ensure that when Kodi opens, the ribbon defaults to 'movies' and not 'music' as it currently does?
No. It won't. Settings. That's what you want. Go into the setting for the addon you want and turn on autoplay. The things you want for your skin are in Xonfluence. Try it. Go into settings. Play around. If you can't figure it out, google xonfluence and watch a youtube video.

At this point, doing it is the best way to learn. Then, come back with questions. Otherwise, you're just asking the same things over and over.

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
No build is optimized for everyone, as they try to be a one size fits all...

For many KODI users a mere 3-5 add-ons will fill most if not all of their viewing needs, thus if you do a clean install and only install the add-ons you personally use it will be much more optimized to your needs...

You will have to do some research of your own lots of online tutorials, websites and even Facebook pages that give step by step instructions, different add-ons have different settings, some allow immediate play, others don't you need to go into the add-ons settings and tweak it to your liking... Same with background images, most add-ons have user customization options for screen layout and view, also if you install a 'skin' you can further customize the visuals... Same with the ribbon defaults, you can tweak the skin to function as you want and move the ribbon titles around, as well as completely change them, add, delete them or change the action they do when clicked...

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016

A step by step guide to every single setting in Kodi, every single add-on and all the skins would by quite extensive and lengthy and I doubt anyone would read want to read the whole thing let alone write it. That being said the information is out there and like the other guys said you just have to look for it.

JackieO

Apr 13, 2015
You guys are awesome. cheers. Gonna have a play around with it this weekend.

A quick You Tube has brought up several channels tht specialise in Kodi so I subscribed to them. Interestingly, they recommend all various kinds of builds. Now I know part of this is because they need regular, fresh content for their channel but it also makes me think that no, the smart people, don't just use the builds here at TVAddons but use all kinds (and some are censored out when you type them in this forum). The thing is, I was told they're censored because they're not trustworthy which makes me question the validity of all these other builds (I'll try and name them here) such as Tron, Wookie, Eminence, **** and a bunch of others I've ever heard of. So my question is do you guys use builds like these or do you use the builds here at TVAddons?

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
So my question is do you guys use builds like these or do you use the builds here at TVAddons?
If you want support on these forums you should use the builds here, if you install another build you will have to seek support from that builder...

To be blunt in general there is nothing wrong with 'builds' most are perfectly fine, but most are also bloat and tweaked to the builders preferences and that is not always a good thing and some have some heavy code modifications done that could cause you problems down the line...

I started with a build from another site, but over time I have went over it and tweaked it to my liking and uninstalled a ton of add-ons I will never use, I did this simply because it was a shortcut, I liked the way the build was laid out and rather than build it from scratch it was easier to just twea it to be mine...

What I believe you will find is the biggest gripe is that builds dumb down the users, they have no clue how to maintain the build or add-ons and keep things updated, thus they become fully dependent upon the builder and that usually results in out of date add-ons and KODI failing to function as expected followed by "Help Me!" post as soon as the builder stops supporting them or doesn't roll out a new update...

In the end nothing is better then building your own build, that way you know how it works and how to fix it and are not dependent on some builder that literally might drop support tomorrow...

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
Put it this way.....if you come on here with a Kodi problem and you're using a Build of some sort that no one here knows anything about your chances of getting that problem fixed are pretty low. This isn't being elitist or protective or even downright offhand it's just that you've installed something that might have messed with your add-ons, Repos, Userdata, Skin or even core components of Kodi itself and no on here knows Sweeet Felicity Arkwright what it's done and therefore how to address any problems it might have caused.

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
A quick You Tube has brought up several channels tht specialise in Kodi so I subscribed to them. Interestingly, they recommend all various kinds of builds.?
They are not experts, far from it, they claim to specialise in Kodi but that is simply not true in most instances. It's all about revenue, making pointless videos navigating around some build and opening a few addons does not make you an expert, they are just after subscribers to make them money. If you want help then ask here, if you read the youtube comments of these people you will see they haven't a clue how the whole system actually works, they simply promote one-click solutions (builds) in order to generate revenue.