Unable to reset android MX box

JackieO

Apr 13, 2015
Hi,

My friend's box - unuse since 2013 - automatically loads XBMC and completely skips the android home page where you can play with the box settings and uninstall XBMC (as I am trying to do). I literally only have XBMC to work with - is there any way I can reset the box so that I can DL Kodi and also ensure we have access to android too?

JackieO

Apr 13, 2015
I can only power off, suspend or reboot and they all restart the box and load straight into XBMC.

Last edited:

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
plug a keybord into the box and push \ slash or whatever its called right above the the enter key it puts kodi into windowed mode

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
Sounds like a Linux build, in which case you'd have to flash it with Android. You'd have to google the make/model to learn how to do this. But if it hasn't been used for 3 years it's so old it probably isn't worth bothering with, I'd throw it in the bin & buy a new one :)

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
Before you do anything else make sure the version of Android you have on this old box actually supports the version of Kodi you want to put on it otherwise it's all going to be a lot of work for no result.

Access the Android settings through the Programs\Android apps section of XBMC - if that version of XBMC supports it.

JackieO

Apr 13, 2015
Sounds like a Linux build, in which case you'd have to flash it with Android. You'd have to google the make/model to learn how to do this. But if it hasn't been used for 3 years it's so old it probably isn't worth bothering with, I'd throw it in the bin & buy a new one :)
You're right! It is Linux after all. I managed to fresh start, add confgure wizard and reinstall Linux but am getting python script errors when I try to launch any add-ons - plus I still can't access the settings of the box for things like time/date (especially with that 1970 glitch), cache clearance, uninstalling Kodi, setting internet to always connect. Maybe a new box is best. Model is G Box MX2 by the way.

Last edited:

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
Time/Date and all the rest of it is done via the Kodi interface, there's no underlying OS you can access, it's literally all done in Kodi. I had a GBox MX2 a long time ago, you could get a better replacement for £50 or less, I'd suggest replacing it as it's a very old piece of kit now :)

adbynot

Nov 8, 2013
Throw it all out and get a Google Chromebox running LibreElec and Kodi. Best machine I've used by far.

@ the DSTP machines

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
Throw it all out and get a Google Chromebox running LibreElec and Kodi. Best machine I've used by far.

@ the DSTP machines
You've got my curiosity

I see chrome cast and Asus chrome box but I can't seem to find this Google Chrome box you speak of.
Can you be more soecific, I'd like to look at one of these. Thanks

adbynot

Nov 8, 2013
You've got my curiosity

I see chrome cast and Asus chrome box but I can't seem to find this Google Chrome box you speak of.
Can you be more soecific, I'd like to look at one of these. Thanks
asus is the ones that I use. Just the manufacturer I think.

@ the DSTP machines