Updating Android for Kypton then reinstalling Kodi

monicajmcn

Mar 10, 2017
I am going to ATTEMPT to update my android 4 Kit Kat box to OS 5 Lollipop. Once I do that I am going to guess that it will wipe out the Kodi install.

How do I reinstall Kodi, and can I do that reinstall from version 17.1 Kypton or must I download Kodi 16 Jarvis then do an update.

Please can you direct me to the instructions for downloading Kodi

I thank you in advance for any advice

Sign me

Really nervous but husband is too cheap to buy a new box ( this one is only one month old, insert sad face)

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
Play Store is the easiest way to install Kodi for Android. Or you could download in your browser from https://kodi.tv/download

And if you do find a firmware update for your device, make sure you read the instructions for flashing very carefully, good luck :)

monicajmcn

Mar 10, 2017
And if you do find a firmware update for your device, make sure you read the instructions for flashing very carefully, good luck :)
I found firmware; quite easily actually, but you have made me very nervous with that comment.

What is "flashing"

I look at it this way, as long as the box is os4 it is not going to run Krypton and without Krypton the add ons wont stream. The box in it's current condition is pretty useless so if I totally screw it up the worst I can do is render it useless, which at this point it already is..............I have nothing to loose, right? ( I don't expect and answer to this rhetorical question)

Also what is making me nervous is all of the recent posts reporting lots of problems with Krypton.......is that app issue or user issue?

monicajmcn

Mar 10, 2017
Has anyone successfully updated their OS on an android box? Care to walk a gal through it step by step?

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
on many Android boxes can simply go to your settings and check for update. If it is a good box, it might just update by itself. However, in many cases you need to download the firmware, place it on a SD card. Now this is where boxes differ from one another. Some you need to press combination of buttons to force it to boot in update mode. Others use the reset pin hole button on the bottom of the box. Where you unplug the box, press the button with a paper clip or similar object while the box is unplug. Then while still holding the reset button pressed, you plug the box back to the power supply. This will force the box to reboot in update mode.

For your box, you need to Google the correct procedure used to perform the firmware update.

monicajmcn

Mar 10, 2017
Thanks, I doubt it is a good box that would update itself, I purchased the cheapest one I could find. At that time I had no clue it would need updating, I actually had no clue about anything TV Box related.. I do have the instructions for doing the update and it seems pretty simple and straight forward. I just wonder if anyone has ever done this successfully?

Whats with all the problems uploading Krypton 17.1?

I hope I can pull this off

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
I have done it successfully on one Android box multiple times. However, I have bricked a second one after trying to re-flash it. But for $60 it was long paid for anyway so no big loss there.
Neither were like your though. One was a Jynxbox and the other a Magyca with Linux on it (this is the one I bricked)

monicajmcn

Mar 10, 2017
Thanks for that, it gives me hope. I will let you know later today weather or not I was successful

leafs87

Feb 14, 2016
Make sure the firmware you are installing is for that box as well.

For example, there are many different 'M8S' labeled boxes out there...many with different hardware in them requiring different firmware.

monicajmcn

Mar 10, 2017
I downloaded for Android Amlogic MXQ Pro s905
That should read S805

I'm leaning towards LibreELEC, I don't care if the box remains android, I only use it for Kodi. Do you think this is a better option? (Hopefully my word doesn't get stared out*****) I'm not sure what is and what is not except able to post so if I've done wrong please forgive me

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
LibreElec is a very solid option. It works extremely well. If you get starred **** you will know the addon is unsupported here. There are other addons that are not supported here and will not get starred. You will be told if they are supported or not when someone answers you.

No worries, we are not like dot org (kodi.tv) we don't bite and don't ban members for such mistakes.

monicajmcn

Mar 10, 2017
No worries, we are not like dot org (kodi.tv) we don't bite and don't ban members for such mistakes.
It was my first day with the box and as I was trying to figure the whole thing out I watched some you tube. I came away with Pho*nix and Ex**us. When I had trouble down loading I typed Kodi in my search bar and ended up there, they ate me up in less than 5 minutes. I have encountered people like that before in an embroidery groups. Copyrights are a very touchy subject, like religion and politics. LOL...

I appreciate the kindness found on this forum.

I have decided to go with Libre and have succeeded as far as getting their splash screen up on my TV, but I'm stuck there so I have a nice fellow on their forum helping me.

It's been along day

Thanks so much for everything

monicajmcn

Mar 10, 2017
RavRob I am having trouble with Pho*nix. I am going to start a new thread incase others have the same issue. Otherwise everything is as it should be and I am so happy and a bit proud to accomplish such a task. I ended up going with LibrElec8

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
I'm happy for you. Nothing more rewarding then fixing this with minimal/no help. Now sit back and enjoy. Pho*nix seems to be having some issues with some sections. If you tell me which section and what movie you are trying to play I will test it at my end and see if I can make it work.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Kodi Support 4
G Random Topics 10
O Kodi Support 18