Request Updating from 15.2 to higher--need help on process

Autoroam

Oct 12, 2015
I currently run Kodi 15.2 on a MInix…the system has been running trouble-free for a year and a half and I have made backups on a dedicated thumb drive that is permanently attached to the back. My device has no SD card.

In case I want to update:

Should I go to Jarvis or straight to Krypton?

What is the process? Delete Kodi 15.2 completely? Or install new Kodi first?

And then there is the issue of how to transfer all my add ons and settings to the new system….can anyone help or point me in the right direction.

I googled but all links seem to be leading to sellers of equipment somehow.

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
Its likely that you are going to have problems transferring your build to a newer version of kodi. I dont suppose it would hurt to try it tho worst case scenario is you have to go back to 15.2 or start over from scratch with the newer version. I use the backup addon in the official kodi repository to save my build and transfer it from one device to another. I would assume you could save your build to the thumb drive delete kodi 15.1 then load one of the newer versions then restore your build to the newer version again an assumption I have never tried it. I personally use the latest stable build of Kodi currently its still Jarvis. Krypton is still in beta but I believe they are in the final stages of ironing out all the bugs. It wont be long before its the official stable version but I would wait until it is before using it but that's up to you.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
I currently run Kodi 15.2 on a MInix…the system has been running trouble-free for a year and a half and I have made backups on a dedicated thumb drive that is permanently attached to the back. My device has no SD card.

In case I want to update:

Should I go to Jarvis or straight to Krypton?

What is the process? Delete Kodi 15.2 completely? Or install new Kodi first?

And then there is the issue of how to transfer all my add ons and settings to the new system….can anyone help or point me in the right direction.

I googled but all links seem to be leading to sellers of equipment somehow.
It depends what you have backed up. If you have only backed up your profile folder you are good to go. Just wait for the final release of Krypton is out, install it over top your 15.2 (no need to uninstall). If it fails, you can go back to an earlier version (16.1 Jarvis) and try again or just remove your Kodi completely, install Krypton or Jarvis and import your profile folder. You should be good to go.

Note the only reason it might fail is if your version of Android. I believe Krypton needs Lollypop to work. So if you don't have Lollypop, only install Jarvis.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Kodi Support 8
B Video Addons 4
H Amazon Fire TV 10