Updating kodi on android box

Kingnev

Sep 14, 2015
Hi I got my android box pre installed fully loaded with addons and the menus and configuration by the person has been done really well, Now that I need to update kodi will I loose everything that the person did and have to start from fresh?
Thanks
Steve

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
If it is a regular Android box, just download the latest Kodi from the Play Store and install. It will keep your settings and addons.

Some boxes may need adbfire but not all. The better ones just download from Play Store.

jmhng

Jul 28, 2015
you did not say what version of kodi was on the box...if its 14.2, and an older mx box, you may go to the latest kodi, very easily.
you may have some problems with the video at full screen, but there is a fix for that.
download the latest kodi, install, as said in post above, you will not loose any addons, are settings.

Kingnev

Sep 14, 2015
Hi and thanks for your replies my kodi version is 14.2 and I have a mx 3 ultra box should I still be able to upgrade through google play as normal and keep everything as it is? Or will I need adbfire also?

jmhng

Jul 28, 2015
mx111 is good ...you can upgrade to kodi 15.1 without any problem...download the latest from the kodi site, not google play.
make sure its on the usb flash drive without a folder.....
go to appinstaller on your mx3 and it will go to the usb drive, click on install, peice of cake..
no need for adbfire at all.

Frederick_99

Sep 18, 2012
UK
Hi I got my android box pre installed fully loaded with addons and the menus and configuration by the person has been done really well, Now that I need to update kodi will I loose everything that the person did and have to start from fresh?
Thanks
Steve
why do you need to update kodi ?

if your on 14.2 ( you dont say) I wouldn't goto 15.x as a lot of problems reported on android

Alveezus

Oct 19, 2013
Hawaii
Didn't wanna start a new thread but...

I seem to have lost my "Update&Backup" capabilities on the main menu. Everytime i run it i'm getting
"Check Failed! Check Your OTA Servier Argent"...
Already did a factory restore. thru settings...

Any Help?

Kingnev

Sep 14, 2015
A lot of my addons are saying incompatible so I thought upgrading might fix this issue?

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
mx111 is good ...you can upgrade to kodi 15.1 without any problem...download the latest from the kodi site, not google play.
make sure its on the usb flash drive without a folder.....
go to appinstaller on your mx3 and it will go to the usb drive, click on install, peice of cake..
no need for adbfire at all.
Isenguard 15.1 is on Google Play and updates nicely on most Android boxes. It is much simpler than downloading, putting on a USB and updating as you are describing. There was a reason why it was put on Google Play, to make life easier for Android users.

why do you need to update kodi ?

if your on 14.2 ( you dont say) I wouldn't goto 15.x as a lot of problems reported on android
I have been running Isenguard 15 since it was released as Alpha and never had an issue with it on Android or any other STB. However, HW acceleration might need to be disabled on smaller Android boxes. I am now running Jarvis Alpah 2 without issues. Isenguard and Jarvis are both much better than Helix IMHO.

A lot of my addons are saying incompatible so I thought upgrading might fix this issue?
14.2 shouldn't have incompatible addons but you're right, an update might still fix this issue for you.

Kingnev

Sep 14, 2015
Excellent thanks for your help everyone should I back everything up incase something should go wrong and if so what should I use?

Kingnev

Sep 14, 2015
Ok so I updated through the play store and everything seemed fine all my settings had stayed the same, then I tried to search for a film and the on-screen keyboard had no letters on it? So I turned my box off and on and it reverted back to version 13.1 and everything has gone :( I don't know a lot about how to put everything back on to the box, could anyone provide a link to help me restore it to how it was please? When I got the box it was fully loaded with everything but don't know how or where to get the repositories.

mj71

Jan 13, 2013
Theres no point installing anything on the box if you have 13.1 on it

You need to install an up to date version of kodi on it first,(i would sayat least 14.2) before using any of the above mentioned tools to put addons and repositories on it

Johnny27

Oct 4, 2015
California
I have the same question. How do I upgrade from 14.2 to 15? Google Play only gives me options of uninstall or open. There is no option for upgrade.

noz

Feb 1, 2014
Asgard
I have the same question. How do I upgrade from 14.2 to 15? Google Play only gives me options of uninstall or open. There is no option for upgrade.
Goto the official kodi website and download from there.

Google is your friend🙈🙉🙊