urlresolver - what is it?

jgw

Jul 8, 2013
I have no idea what this does. On some addons, after one chooses a given thing to stream one gets a resolver option. When one clicks on it there is kindofa list of sources/servers (I am assuming they are synonymous). One can then choose one of these and press 'OK' at which point nothing really happens. I have no idea exactly what this all means. I have noticed, however, that when one gets the 'OK' it seems to mean nothing. My solution is to ignore the resolver option and simply go through each server until I find one that works. Given that I have no clue I thought I would post this in the hope that somebody could explain what its all about or, perhaps, point me in the right direction.

Thank you........

Rodrigo

Developer
Sep 24, 2013
39.108889,-76.771389
the resolver makes sure that you can click on all those links.
If it wasn't for that resolver, you couldn't view anything.

The resolver, resolved those links into actual movies.
If you go to those links in a browser, you have click this and that and enter a captcha etc...
urlresolves does all that for you.

You don't have to change the settings, it should work out of the box

Bstrdsmkr

Mar 16, 2012
For example, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAp8P1wNLu0 is not a playable url. You can't stick that in VLC for example and play the video. Instead, it's a url to a page that contains a video. On the back end, URLResolver takes in a page or list of pages thought to contain videos and returns any playable links on that page. We have no way to guarantee those videos are actually playable until we try it.

jgw

Jul 8, 2013
Thanks for the reply.
I am pretty dense about this stuff so bear with me. I see the resolver as the last entry in a list of available stuff. In dailyflix, for instance: hd movies, divx movies, flash movies, pre-retail, etc. The last entry in the list is "Resolver Settings". When I choose, off that list the Settings (urlresolver is highlighted and cannot be chosen) - urlresolver pops up with a list of sources (first one is highlighted), a "priority", "Enabled", and, at the bottom OK, cancel, and defaults. I tend to press OK and it then gives me a list of movie choices. After I make a choice there I get a list of actual movies, then I choose one and I am presented with a list of sources, none of which seem to have been listed in the urlresolver, but maybe. I have to, invariably, go through several before I get one to actually work.

Now, given the above, I am not really sure what the urlresolver actually did. I am not whining about this so much as wondering why the resolver in the first place unless somehow knows which one is good but is keeping it a secret <G> the first, for instance, replied to my choice with "link cannot resolved".

I have been dealing with computers for a long time (building and programming) but this streaming thing is a very different world than I know about, hence the questions. As a result of my experience, with computers, I have learned that patience is a virtue and, sometimes, one has to deal with what is, get over it, and move on. At this point I have, pretty much, decided that sh*t happens and live with it but I am trying to understand it too.

Thanks again for the response. I think I am missing something but can't figure it out.

Bstrdsmkr

Mar 16, 2012
The gist of it is a website gives a list of pages that are supposed to contain links to videos. URLRseolver takes that list and checks to see if it knows how to extract video links from each page in the list. It then shows you (the user) a list of what it thinks it can handle and asks you to choose one. When you select one, it attempts to extract the video from that link and play it. If the video has been taken down, or URLResolver guessed wrong about being able to resolve it, or if the website was wrong and the link is invalie, the playback fails.