useing xbmc to stream the video/music stream to his tv via DLNA

podgey3874

May 17, 2012
useing xbmc to stream the video/music stream to his tv via DLNA anyone no if this is possiable yet or will be in the future?

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
I can elaborate a bit if you are still lost.
All you do is enable it in XBMC after that press the source button on the tv remote, you know where you choose tv, hdmi, and so on.
A new source should appear with the name of your XBMC device choose that and you will have access to videos and music in the XBMC library. It really simple.

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Living_Network_Alliance
Dnla uses universal plug and play to find and control the devices. So basically Upnp just makes it easier for the tv to find the XBMC device. Whether the file formats are supported is up to the tv though.

I have a dnla tv and turning on Upnp in XBMC gives me access to the library from my TV's media player. This also works in the windows. The XBMC route is a lot easier though unless you have all your media scanned into windows media player 11.

Last edited:

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
I know that dlna is derived from upnp but they are different standards, to quote this site:-

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7729494/any-difference-between-dlna-and-upnp

"A rough analogue to mobile phone world:
•UPNP: phone has correctly implemented GSM/3G stack
•DLNA: you can actually call from one phone to another and have a conversation :)
"
I have a dlna Sony box (no longer used) that simply refused to see xbmc (or any other upnp device) as a server but recognised dlna servers which is why I asked the question,
if the op has similar probs I can recommend using a free program called Servio which not only streamed via dlna but also remuxed files the box wouldn't play to a format it would recognise or failing that transcoded them if the pc it was on was powerful enough to cope.

I am very far from an expert in this field but my experience on one specific box was that there is definately a difference, it would see any dlna server (but not necessarily play all the files) but wouldn't see upnp servers

podgey3874

May 17, 2012
I can elaborate a bit if you are still lost.
All you do is enable it in XBMC after that press the source button on the tv remote, you know where you choose tv, hdmi, and so on.
A new source should appear with the name of your XBMC device choose that and you will have access to videos and music in the XBMC library. It really simple.
i have xbmc sony showing up on my tv
now how do i ge tthis best out of this feauture
i have no films stored in my xbmc i only use naxi-x and 1Ch**nel plugin`
i have seen that you can download films/tv etc on Na*i-X is this true and if so how do i put them downloaded films to my video libary that show on my tv

Bstrdsmkr

Mar 16, 2012
Just download them and add the place you saved them as a source in xbmc. If they show up in XBMC's library, they should show up on your TV (Although some TVs won't show files that are in a format it can't play)

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Exactly they usually just show up as a source to choose like tv or hdmi1,2 and then the name of your XBMC device. The format is up to the tv yes.

podgey3874

May 17, 2012
Exactly they usually just show up as a source to choose like tv or hdmi1,2 and then the name of your XBMC device. The format is up to the tv yes.
please explain
they show up as a source????????
when i donwload fro naxi x were would my file be saved to once downloaded and hiw would i add it to video libary on xbmc to show on tv

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Last edited:

podgey3874

May 17, 2012
Don't you have a button on your remote called source where you change between watching tv, the bluray/dvdplayer, the pc input, and so on its that button I'm referring to dunno if it's called source on Sony but it usually is on other TV's. :) The rest of the questions are to massive I refer to the wiki or a little help on the way here: http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/1Ch**nel-plugin/813-how-do-i-set-up-my-library-apple-tv-1-a.html#post5705
i have found the source on my tv and it shows me two empty folders
what are my options in adding content to thease folders?
and how
via my own files or via content on xbmc that i beive you can download
am i newbie so what am thinking what i want to do may not be possiable
just after some reasurrence

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
You need to download video yes and add it to the library I can recycle something I wrote in another thread:

When you up a library first go to video files and select "add videos" select the folder where the movies are in and give it a name then press ok. On the next page if the movies are in sub folders tick the option "movies are in seperate folders that match the movie title" and tick "run automated scan".

In the field "this directory contains" (top left) it is important that you choose the correct type movies, tvshows, or music videos! Then press ok. It should now ask to scrape the folder(s) and make the library, choose yes.

It is very important that you movies have the correct name therefore I find it easier to put them in sub folders then you only have to make sure the movie folder has the correct name, and tick the before mentioned "movies are in seperate folders that match the movie title"

Hope this can get you started.

podgey3874

May 17, 2012
You need to download video yes and add it to the library I can recycle something I wrote in another thread:

When you up a library first go to video files and select "add videos" select the folder where the movies are in and give it a name then press ok. On the next page if the movies are in sub folders tick the option "movies are in seperate folders that match the movie title" and tick "run automated scan".

In the field "this directory contains" (top left) it is important that you choose the correct type movies, tvshows, or music videos! Then press ok. It should now ask to scrape the folder(s) and make the library, choose yes.

It is very important that you movies have the correct name therefore I find it easier to put them in sub folders then you only have to make sure the movie folder has the correct name, and tick the before mentioned "movies are in seperate folders that match the movie title"

Hope this can get you started.
hi i habe a jailbroke phone with xbmc instaled when i pick a movie from 1Ch**nel to watch can i stream this to my dlna enabled samsung tv by eclick of a button with ouot airplay and apple tv or is this what i need to be able to do this?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Kodi Support 7
D Addon Development 0
T Chromecast 0