Using home computer as external hard drive

jarcuri

Dec 9, 2013
I've gone through the forum and only seen it mentioned once for moving files. Seeing how I've received a bunch of help,I hope this helps some people. If you want to have an external hd like I do but have come to find out the fire tv does not support this, you can use your computer instead as long as they are on the same network.
First you need to share what ever folder you are holding the movies or tv shows in. Fyi I only know Windows, Mac may be different
Inside xbmc, you go to file manager, add source, browse, Windows network(smb), select the folder and then ok....give it a name and now you are able to access all your files through your file manager.
I don't know if your able to download to it through fire tv but I know you can download to your fire tv...just don't waste the 8 gigs they give you

If this is posted some where elseI'm sorry...feel free to delete it

lgoodknight

May 28, 2013
Rock Island Arsenal IL
I have also experimented with this with mixed results. I can see my external drives hooked to my pc and Mac, but I was unable to save/restore files using xml backup. But I am able to use xbmc backup to a pc external usb drive for FireTv.

jarcuri

Dec 9, 2013
I have also experimented with this with mixed results. I can see my external drives hooked to my pc and Mac, but I was unable to save/restore files using xml backup. But I am able to use xbmc backup to a pc external usb drive for FireTv.
What I like is that I don't need an add-on to pull the info