Release USTVnow Guide

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
I am super excited to announce the release of the new USTVnow Guide addon!

This is a companion addon for USTVnow Plus. It is a fork of FTV Guide and has been stripped down and customized to work as a purpose built USTVnow only EPG.

All the EPG files are pulled from a server setup that I have put together. It should give you 24 hours worth of data and is set by default to update every time USTVnow Guide loads.

Update:
I have added the ability to schedule recordings from the USTVnow Guide!! This makes the EPG even more robust.

There are a few issues with how the recording scheduling works between USTVnow Plus and USTVnow Guide.

1. If you set or delete scheduled recordings in USTVnow Plus directly they will not show as scheduled or unscheduled in USTVnow Guide.
  2. If you set a show to recurring within the USTVnow Guide only the show that you set to record initially will show in red.
There are also now links to the Recordings, Schedule, and Recurring sections of USTVnow Plus in the USTVnow Guide context menu.

Tips:
If you have any issues with the EPG data go into the settings and set the download interval to Every Start and do a DB reset. This should fix the issues. This is also useful if you switch from a Paid account to a Free or vice versa.

Also after installation you might need to exit and restart for the streams to be recognized to open with USTVnow Plus

If you have issues with stuttering video it is recommended to turn off the OSD menu in the USTVnow Guide settings.

Last edited:

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
I have added images to the xmltv file. So the next time the USTVnow Guide downloads the xmltv file you should see images for the programs that have them available.

dallasnights

May 6, 2012
OMG this is so great thank you, can you add maybe a record option on the menu or grid for future shows if we are a paid account with record option
This is making me want to CUT the cord from Frontier every more every single day for sure
Thanks

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
OMG this is so great thank you, can you add maybe a record option on the menu or grid for future shows if we are a paid account with record option
This is making me want to CUT the cord from Frontier every more every single day for sure
Thanks
I am very glad that you like it.

I would love to add a record option to the grid. That is actually one of the things that has kept me from doing this sooner. I am still considering how I could best do that. For now I have put a link back to USTVnow Plus in the context menu so you can at least go back to the Live TV option to start a recording. Of course this will not let you record things set to play in the future so not really perfect. Good start though I hope. :)

Thanks

podgod

Developer
Jan 13, 2013
Excellent work mhancoc7! FYI, PBS seems to be missing from the free guide. I have it in the addon, but not the guide.

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
Excellent work mhancoc7! FYI, PBS seems to be missing from the free guide. I have it in the addon, but not the guide.
Thanks man!

I will fix PBS for the Free Guide asap. It will require a database reset, but I will post details when I fix.

Thanks

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
Ok should be fixed now. If you set the download interval to Every Start and do a DB reset and then restart the guide it should be good. Then afterwards you can set the download interval to 24 hours or whatever suits you. I usually use 48 hours since the guide should have 7 days worth of listings.

Thanks

edmarlo

Mar 1, 2014
A button to pull up the ustvnow settings to input your account would be a nice feature or a just a button to input acounts info even a pop windows that adds your info would be nicer

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
A button to pull up the ustvnow settings to input your account would be a nice feature or a just a button to input acounts info even a pop windows that adds your info would be nicer
I do want to make the two addons as tightly integrated as possible. I can add a link to open up the USTVnow Plus settings, however, I would need to make some tweaks to how USTVnow Plus works in order to make that as seamless as possible. As for adding your account info the way this should generally work is a user would install USTVnow Plus and the USTVnow Guide is automatically installed so the addition of account information would happen during the installation of USTVnow Plus. However, I agree that some users might do the opposite. In that case the account information would be requested as soon as a user tries to watch a stream since that is when you would be prompted to install USTVnow Plus.

I will continue to work to make this as seamless as possible.

Thanks

edmarlo

Mar 1, 2014
Thankyou for your hard work glad someone finally decided to do epg for ustvnow only. Great job!

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
There is currently an issue with the National Geographic Channel not showing up in the latest guide data. The guide is built using tvguide.com. I am working on a fix for this and will let everyone know as soon as it is fixed.

Thanks

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
There is currently an issue with the National Geographic Channel not showing up in the latest guide data. The guide is built using tvguide.com. I am working on a fix for this and will let everyone know as soon as it is fixed.

Thanks
I have updated the xmltv generation system that supplies the USTVnow Guide with the channel listings. All channels should be back working correctly. It might be necessary to do a DB Reset in the USTVnow Guide settings as well as setting the download interval to Every Start for at least one load to correct the listings. Keep in mind that this will reset any ordering changes that you have made to the channels.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Please let me know if you see any issues.

Thanks

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
Ok, I have made some more changes to how the xmltv file is generated for the USTVnow Guide. Basically I have migrated away from the use of tvguide.com and instead the xmltv file is generated directly from the USTVnow API.

This has a few benefits.

1. This will ensure that listings always match what is on the USTVnow site
2. The show artwork is more consistent with the artwork in the USTVnow Plus addon iteself.
3. This is the first step in what I hope will be the work that will allow setting recordings from the USTVnow Guide.

Unfortunately you will most likely have to do a DB reset and set the download interval to Every Start for at least one load of the Guide.

Sorry for the back and forth with this, but this will be good in the long run!

Thanks

Scottydogg22

Jul 6, 2016
I am very glad that you like it.

I would love to add a record option to the grid. That is actually one of the things that has kept me from doing this sooner. I am still considering how I could best do that. For now I have put a link back to USTVnow Plus in the context menu so you can at least go back to the Live TV option to start a recording. Of course this will not let you record things set to play in the future so not really perfect. Good start though I hope. :)

Thanks
First I just wanna say the new guide looks and is awesome, and I/we appreciate your hard work putting this together!! It looks great, but the future show recording functionality really should make its way back to the guide!! Dare I say I liked it before, because it was so nice to set a future show to record right in the addon. Do you have any idea when that might be a possibility?

Also, every time I go back to the main menu from the guide while a channel is playing it stops the video stream jcompletely, and I can't return to it. I have to go back into the guide and reload that channel. Is this behavior normal as you have built it, or is the problem on my end? That is getting quite frustrating, because I like to have the audio/video in the background when I'm looking elsewhere in Kodi.

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
First I just wanna say the new guide looks and is awesome, and I/we appreciate your hard work putting this together!! It looks great, but the future show recording functionality really should make its way back to the guide!! Dare I say I liked it before, because it was so nice to set a future show to record right in the addon. Do you have any idea when that might be a possibility?

Also, every time I go back to the main menu from the guide while a channel is playing it stops the video stream jcompletely, and I can't return to it. I have to go back into the guide and reload that channel. Is this behavior normal as you have built it, or is the problem on my end? That is getting quite frustrating, because I like to have the audio/video in the background when I'm looking elsewhere in Kodi.
Thank you very much for the kind words and feedback!

I agree the Recording options need to be added to the new Guide. That is why I have been working on the xmltv file generation stuff so much. I just posted a few minutes ago about the most recent changes. These changes are the first step to hopefully allow me to add the Recording options into the new Guide.

I don't have an ETA on when the Recording option will be added. I am working on it as much as time allows. I use USTVnow Plus daily so I want it back as much as you. :)

I will have to check on the video stopping thing. I don't really do that very often. Once I start a show/movie I don't tend to leave to go into the rest of Kodi for anything. I will need to check to see if this is something that happens in FTV Guide. If so that might be an issue since the USTVnow Guide was forked from FTV Guide. However, I will try to see what I can do.

Again thank you for your feedback and please be patient as I work to try and make USTVnow Plus even better!. :)

Thanks