Release USTVnow Guide

Scottydogg22

Jul 6, 2016
Thank you very much for the kind words and feedback!

I agree the Recording options need to be added to the new Guide. That is why I have been working on the xmltv file generation stuff so much. I just posted a few minutes ago about the most recent changes. These changes are the first step to hopefully allow me to add the Recording options into the new Guide.

I don't have an ETA on when the Recording option will be added. I am working on it as much as time allows. I use USTVnow Plus daily so I want it back as much as you. :)

I will have to check on the video stopping thing. I don't really do that very often. Once I start a show/movie I don't tend to leave to go into the rest of Kodi for anything. I will need to check to see if this is something that happens in FTV Guide. If so that might be an issue since the USTVnow Guide was forked from FTV Guide. However, I will try to see what I can do.

Again thank you for your feedback and please be patient as I work to try and make USTVnow Plus even better!. :)

Thanks
Haha...ya sorry I didn't see your last post until I had already posted that!! Oops!!

Is there a way to disable the guide within the USATVNow addon without deleting the guide? I'd like to disable it for now until the recording is fixed, but still want to use the guide on its own when just watching live tv.

One more question...Once the recording is back, any way you could add a feature to access your recordings straight from the guide? Maybe just as easy to use the link back to the addon but just an idea if it's possible. 😉

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
Haha...ya sorry I didn't see your last post until I had already posted that!! Oops!!

Is there a way to disable the guide within the USATVNow addon without deleting the guide? I'd like to disable it for now until the recording is fixed, but still want to use the guide on its own when just watching live tv.

One more question...Once the recording is back, any way you could add a feature to access your recordings straight from the guide? Maybe just as easy to use the link back to the addon but just an idea if it's possible. 😉
No worries!

I am considering the possibility of adding an option to use the old TV Guide instead within USTVnow Plus. It will take a bit of work to setup, but I may try to put that in. Especially since I am having some difficulties with the listings right now. Will post more about that soon.

For now you can jump into USTVnow Plus from the context menu within the USTVnow Guide. However, once the Recordings option is integrated I will also work to make it more seamless to access your recordings.

Thanks

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
Ok, so I have more news on the listings stuff. If you have been reading the last few posts of mine you will see that I have been working to make the listings more stable and accurate. I was excited to have setup a system that pulls from the USTVnow API directly. This should make things much more accurate.

However, I completely overlooked the fact that the listings pulled from the USTVnow API only give a few hours worth of listings instead of the 7 days that I could get from tvguide.com.

So...

I am switching back to the tvguide.com setup which will unfortunately mean that you will have to do a db reset and set the download interval to Every Start to clear things up.

I do plan to move back to the USTVnow API setup, I will just need to work out a way to get more listings into the xmltv file so that it will not be so limited.

I appreciate your patience as I work through these hurdles.

Thanks

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
Ok, after a lot of investigating and thinking about how to handle the xmltv generation situation I have come to some conclusions and I need to get feedback to determine how I will handle this issue.

In case you are not aware the xmltv files that are generated for the USTVnow Guide are done outside of the addon itself. This allows me to control and make changes/fixes quicker than having to do a new release of the addon itself.

Here are the options as I see them.

[HR][/HR]
1. Continue to use tvguide.com for the xmltv file generation.

Pros:
  • 7 days worth of listings
Cons:
  • Will not allow for adding the option to set recordings in the future
  • Potential for inaccuracy in the listings
[HR][/HR]
2. Use the USTVnow API to generate xmltv file.

Pros:
  • Will lay the ground work for adding the Recording options into the Guide itself
  • More accurate listings
Cons:
  • Only a few hours of listings
[HR][/HR]
I do plan to add the option to switch to the old built in TV Guide for those who would prefer to have the Recording options in a TV Guide instead of having the EPG style TV Guide. However, I would really prefer to get the USTVnow Guide to be a full replacement.

I am still working to see if I can figure out a way to get the info for more days from the USTVnow API. However, so far it doesn't seem like it is available. Keep in mind that the USTVnow API is not documented so I have to somewhat reverse engineer it to understand how it works. So far I have documented every API call that I can find and even been able to figure out ways to use the calls differently than the USTVnow website does. This one particular piece is a bit tricky though. I also do not want to try and get too crafty and start screen scraping the website and stuff since that is counter to my goal of having a system that is fully API driven.

So with all that said I would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks in advance

idokfire

Dec 7, 2015
What might also help in your decision is understanding why people use recording? I am guessing it is mainly for sports since TV shows are quickly available in other addons. Maybe a user count of who uses recording and who doesn't?

Idok Fire

MikeTVNation

Mar 4, 2015
What might also help in your decision is understanding why people use recording? I am guessing it is mainly for sports since TV shows are quickly available in other addons. Maybe a user count of who uses recording and who doesn't?

Idok Fire
I use it to insure I get to watch my favorite shows. Also, sometimes 2 shows are on at the same time, so I record them too. It, to me, just insures I get to see my favorite shows.

I schedule my shows thru the website, so not have record setup in the app, is a bit of a problem. But not much, I can live with our without the addition of recording. But, I would be one to side with, what's easier for the programmer. Using the API or not.

idokfire

Dec 7, 2015
I use it to insure I get to watch my favorite shows. Also, sometimes 2 shows are on at the same time, so I record them too. It, to me, just insures I get to see my favorite shows.

I schedule my shows thru the website, so not have record setup in the app, is a bit of a problem. But not much, I can live with our without the addition of recording. But, I would be one to side with, what's easier for the programmer. Using the API or not.
And if you couldn't record, would you possibly use SA*TS, Genesis, or a different add-on to watch the show you missed?

Idok Fire

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev

Idok Fire

@idokfire
I agree, but I am just going to focus on the feature itself without regards to options outside of USTVnow Plus. Since my goal is really to create the cleanest and most feature rich addon for USTVnow that I can. So in that case Recording is a feature that should be integrated fully wherever possible.

@MikeTVNation
Thanks for the understanding on the difficulties.

I figure that for now I am going to focus on adding an option to enable the original built in TV Guide that already had recording options. I figure I will basically let users toggle whether they want to show the old TV Guide or the new one or both. This way users have control over the available options.

Unfortunately if I can't find a way to pull in more than a few hours of listings with the USTVnow API this may be the solution. I believe that I have at least found a way to pull in an entire days worth of listings (12 hours I think). However, I would still rather have at lest 3 days worth of listing for the new USTVnow Guide as that really makes it look and feel better.

Now there is one other issue with the current system using tvguide.com and that is the fact that the listings are not always 100% accurate and matching what USTVnow says is on. Sometimes tvguide.com is wrong and sometimes USTVnow is wrong, but either way they don't always match.

I will be working to get an update for the options for the old TV Guide as soon as I can. Then I will get back to sorting out the use of the USTVnow API for the listings.

Thanks guys

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
Ok good news!

I have figured out how to get 24 hours of listings via the USTVnow API. To me this was the minimum needed for the USTVnow Guide to be useful.

So here is my plan.

1. Updating the USTVnow Plus addon to allow for the option to use either or both the old TV Guide and the new USTVnow Guide. I figure I might as well allow the user to decide which is best for them. The USTVnow Guide will be on by default and the old TV Guide will be off by default.

2. I will update the USTVnow Guide addon to require a most at 12 hour download interval. This should ensure that the guide is filled with a full 24 hours as much as possible. It might be a good idea to keep it to download every start. Still debating to myself what should be the default. The download is fast and if it is done ever load then at least you know you will always have 24 hours of listings.

3. Setup the service that generates the xmltv file to create the new 24 hour listings. The service will run every 30 minutes to ensure that the xmltv file is always as up to date as possible.

I will try to coordinate all these changes to make this as seamless as possible.

This will of course require a db reset, but I think this should be the last for a while. :) Fingers crossed.

Once all that happens and is proven to be stable and working I will begin the process of integrating the Recording options into the USTVnow Guide. That will take a bit of work, but getting the xmltv generation setup to use the USTVnow API was required to make that a possibility.

Thanks for your patience and support

Last edited:

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
I have updated the USTVnow Plus addon to all users to enable the old TV Guide now called TV Guide (List). This way those who use the Recording feature can use the TV Guide (List) to set recordings of future events. I also increased the listings in the TV Guide (List) to 24 hours.

I have also updated the USTVnow Guide to default to download the xmltv file on Every Start. I left the option for every 12 hours. However, I recommend Every Start.

I have also updated the external service to use the USTVnow API again now with a full 24 hours of listings. You will need to do a DB reset in the USTVnow Guide settings to clear out the old listings.

This is a major step forward and will allow me to integrate the option to set Recordings into the USTVnow Guide!!!

I will wait to be sure that this system stays stable before I move onto that, but this is a great step.

Thanks

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
Big update coming soon!!!

I have been working on some cool new integrations for the USTVnow Guide.

Here is what to expect:

1. Ability to record shows from the EPG!
2. Ability to set shows to recurring from EPG!
3. Links in the EPG context menu to your Recordings, Scheduled, and Recurring!

I hope to have this out very soon. Once it is ready I will update the original post with the full details.

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
New release with recording ability released!!!

I have added the ability to schedule recordings from the USTVnow Guide!! This makes the EPG even more robust.

There are a few issues with how the recording scheduling works between USTVnow Plus and USTVnow Guide.

1. If you set or delete scheduled recordings in USTVnow Plus directly they will not show as scheduled or unscheduled in USTVnow Guide.
  2. If you set a show to recurring within the USTVnow Guide only the show that you set to record initially will show in red.

There are also now links to the Recordings, Schedule, and Recurring sections of USTVnow Plus in the USTVnow Guide context menu.

Hope you enjoy!

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
I have noticed that the updates for the new versions of USTVnow Plus and USTVnow Guide seem to get stuck during download.

Not sure if this is an issue for everyone. If you go to Settings > Addons > Available Updates after the update has been started and see the two addons with Downloading 0% you can just click on the USTVnow Plus one and cancel the download. This will allow the USTVnow Guide to install. Then if you check for updates again the USTVnow Guide will install.

dallasnights

May 6, 2012
uh oh something is wrong on my update
Updated, closed down Kodi, rebooted Firetv
launched Kodi
Went into EPG guide
It hangs now at Loading data from external source, calculating remaining time
no shows every show up on my grid

Is there a Fix or a clear cache or something to fix this