USTVNOW login failure - check your credentials message

LRon Hubub

Aug 2, 2016
Hi, I have USTVNow v 14.3.7 installed on Kodi v 16.1 installed on a Rasberry PI 2
I also have the same USTV now and Kodi installed on my Samsung Tab S 10.5

I have also registered a paid account with USTVNow.

I can connect just fine using my Samsung tablet.

I cannot connect using the Rasberry PI. I keep getting the "check my credentials " message.
I have repeatedly made sure my email and password are correct .

Has anyone experienced this before ?

Thanks

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
Hi, I have USTVNow v 14.3.7 installed on Kodi v 16.1 installed on a Rasberry PI 2
I also have the same USTV now and Kodi installed on my Samsung Tab S 10.5

I have also registered a paid account with USTVNow.

I can connect just fine using my Samsung tablet.

I cannot connect using the Rasberry PI. I keep getting the "check my credentials " message.
I have repeatedly made sure my email and password are correct .

Has anyone experienced this before ?

Thanks
Sorry to hear that you are having issues.

I can tell you that the message you are seeing is a bit of a "catch all" error. It basically means that the connection failed. This can be due to a typo in the creds. However, it could be caused by other issues as well.

A log file might help.

Are you able to see the channel list in the Live TV section or is it failing before then?

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
thanks for reply

when I goto "Live TV" menu item it throws the same error
Ok then that means that USTVnow Plus is not able to connect to USTVnow at all. So either your creds are incorrect or for some reason the token returned by USTVnow is corrupt.

Are you using your paid account? Some users on Free accounts have had to go into the USTVnow website and ensure that the account is "active".

You might try to do the Force Token Reset in the USTVnow Plus settings assuming that you are able to get into the settings since it also makes connections to USTVnow.

Again a log file may help, but I have a feeling there may be an issue with the creds or the token.

konrad

Nov 7, 2015
Hi,
I am getting same error as previous poster "connection failed". No channel list. Also the Persia add on, which has USTVNow channels is not working either. Is this a problem with USTVNow itself? I don't think the problem is unique to me or the other poster. Can you confirm this somehow?

Update: I did not have a problem with logging in on website. Checked force clear on settings.....no change. Getting this error on two separate android devices.

Last edited:

jtom7

Feb 6, 2013
I have same issue for last day or so. My creds are correct as I can login on browsers but always get connection failed check login when I click live tv to see channel line up. I've tried deleting and reinstalling. I've performed all updates and on current version. I've contacted ustv and they say I have no issue on their end. I have a paid full channel acct. please help resolve. Idk how to get a error log for u. Any advice greatly appreciated. Perhaps issue started with new update?? Thanks

jtom7

Feb 6, 2013
I think the issue lies only with kodi ustv addon because I've now tried numerous devices and browsers and it's only the kodi ustv addon that shows the "connection failed"

dallasnights

May 6, 2012
Same issue here on all my devices, ATV4 and Firetv with KODI, says the credentials error
IT started happening last night about 8pm CDT BTW if that helps
Hope you all can find a fix
Thanks

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
Hi,
I am getting same error as previous poster "connection failed". No channel list. Also the Persia add on, which has USTVNow channels is not working either. Is this a problem with USTVNow itself? I don't think the problem is unique to me or the other poster. Can you confirm this somehow?

Update: I did not have a problem with logging in on website. Checked force clear on settings.....no change. Getting this error on two separate android devices.
I have same issue for last day or so. My creds are correct as I can login on browsers but always get connection failed check login when I click live tv to see channel line up. I've tried deleting and reinstalling. I've performed all updates and on current version. I've contacted ustv and they say I have no issue on their end. I have a paid full channel acct. please help resolve. Idk how to get a error log for u. Any advice greatly appreciated. Perhaps issue started with new update?? Thanks
I think the issue lies only with kodi ustv addon because I've now tried numerous devices and browsers and it's only the kodi ustv addon that shows the "connection failed"
Same issue here on all my devices, ATV4 and Firetv with KODI, says the credentials error
IT started happening last night about 8pm CDT BTW if that helps
Hope you all can find a fix
Thanks
okay now it is work wierd??
It is working now for me. Must have been on USTVNow's end.
Yup working for me too. Ty to whatever or whoever fixed it
Glad it is working for you guys now.

Here is the the thing. The "check your credentials" message is a bit of a catch all error for any issue with connecting to the USTVnow API. It could be that things timed out, it could be that USTVnow returned a forbidden error for a resource incorrectly.

USTVnow has recently tightened up things a bit more to keep people from pulling their streams without having a USTVnow account. This is how addons like Persia are using USTVnow. So the fact that Persia doesn't work has very little bearing on USTVnow Plus. However, I have noticed in the past that whenever USTVnow tightens up things there seems to be some hiccups. I have yet to be able to completely isolate this down to a simple thing like the authentication token. Eventually things just seem to level out.

joshualynnhebert

Aug 6, 2016
I can only pull up the guide menu but nothing is streaming. Live TV link doesn't do anything. It was giving the credential error. I reset my token. App works fine on my computer.

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
I can only pull up the guide menu but nothing is streaming. Live TV link doesn't do anything. It was giving the credential error. I reset my token. App works fine on my computer.
USTVnow has been making some changes lately and every time they do that there are hiccups in the system. If you read the past few posts you will see that this has been happening for users and then eventually clearing up. If you are using a free account you might try to create a new free account and see if that helps.

konrad

Nov 7, 2015
Thank you for the response. I only mentioned the Persia addon (which I sometimes can use when I have problems with the USTVNow addon) , because I thought it might be helpful in diagnosing the problem. I prefer your addon , it usually works better for me. Anyway, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. Thanks again.

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
Thank you for the response. I only mentioned the Persia addon (which I sometimes can use when I have problems with the USTVNow addon) , because I thought it might be helpful in diagnosing the problem. I prefer your addon , it usually works better for me. Anyway, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. Thanks again.
No problem. Yeah I see where you were coming from on Persia. It just uses such a different approach.

I did notice something strange on one of my many test accounts that may be related to some of the issues. I found a that one of the test accounts didn't work. When I logged into the USTVnow website I found that I got a message under the account details that said the status of the account couldn't be determined or something to that effect. If you can check to see if you see that same message on your account it might help at least isolate the issue.

Thanks

imaquad

Aug 3, 2016
I had same issues, but im noob. I could see guide, but when clicked it gave the cred error. Connected right away after i disabled Avast. I made exclusion for .exe, am I missing another file/location Avast needs to exclude?

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
I had same issues, but im noob. I could see guide, but when clicked it gave the cred error. Connected right away after i disabled Avast. I made exclusion for .exe, am I missing another file/location Avast needs to exclude?
I don't use Windows so I can't really help with this one. Maybe someone else has more experience with Kodi on Windows.

Mondomx

Aug 24, 2016
Broken again?

I can confirm version 14.3.9 is broken again, the same credentials I use on the add-on (both windows based kodi and openelec based kodi) I tried on the website and website streams just fine. Altho on the website it asks for a captcha.

When I try to open the settings option it errors out and asks me to check the logs.

It is odd, because it worked fine for me on the add-on some 8 hours ago that I downloaded the add-on and installed it, but rightnow I keep getting the "Connection failed!" message and to "check the logs!"

So something changed on the website.

Code:
19:53:26 T:3120   ERROR: ADDON::CScraper::Run: Unable to parse web site
19:54:39 T:3120  NOTICE: VideoInfoScanner: Finished scan. Scanning for video info took 02:33
19:54:39 T:7880  NOTICE: Thread BackgroundLoader start, auto delete: false
19:54:44 T:6272  NOTICE: Thread LanguageInvoker start, auto delete: false
19:54:44 T:7544   ERROR: Control 50 in window 10025 has been asked to focus, but it can't
19:54:44 T:6272  NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
19:54:44 T:1344  NOTICE: Thread BackgroundLoader start, auto delete: false
19:54:45 T:6816  NOTICE: Thread LanguageInvoker start, auto delete: false
19:54:46 T:6816  NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
19:54:46 T:6816   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.TypeError'>
                                            Error Contents: 'bool' object has no attribute '__getitem__'
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "C:\Users\Mondo\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.video.ustvnow.tva\main.py", line 884, in <module>
                                                ustv._token_check()
                                              File "C:\Users\Mondo\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.video.ustvnow.tva\resources\lib\ustvnow_plus.py", line 862, in _token_check
                                                token_check = self._get_json('gtv/1/live/getcustomerkey', {'token': Addon.get_setting('token')})['username']
                                            TypeError: 'bool' object has no attribute '__getitem__'
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--
19:54:46 T:7544   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://plugin.video.ustvnow.tva/?mode=settings
19:54:46 T:7544   ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(plugin://plugin.video.ustvnow.tva/?mode=settings) failed
19:54:46 T:7372  NOTICE: Thread LanguageInvoker start, auto delete: false
19:54:46 T:7372  NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
19:54:46 T:4212  NOTICE: Thread BackgroundLoader start, auto delete: false

Last edited:

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
I can confirm version 14.3.9 is broken again, the same credentials I use on the add-on (both windows based kodi and openelec based kodi) I tried on the website and website streams just fine. Altho on the website it asks for a captcha.

When I try to open the settings option it errors out and asks me to check the logs.

It is odd, because it worked fine for me on the add-on some 8 hours ago that I downloaded the add-on and installed it, but rightnow I keep getting the "Connection failed!" message and to "check the logs!"

So something changed on the website.

Code:
19:53:26 T:3120   ERROR: ADDON::CScraper::Run: Unable to parse web site
19:54:39 T:3120  NOTICE: VideoInfoScanner: Finished scan. Scanning for video info took 02:33
19:54:39 T:7880  NOTICE: Thread BackgroundLoader start, auto delete: false
19:54:44 T:6272  NOTICE: Thread LanguageInvoker start, auto delete: false
19:54:44 T:7544   ERROR: Control 50 in window 10025 has been asked to focus, but it can't
19:54:44 T:6272  NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
19:54:44 T:1344  NOTICE: Thread BackgroundLoader start, auto delete: false
19:54:45 T:6816  NOTICE: Thread LanguageInvoker start, auto delete: false
19:54:46 T:6816  NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
19:54:46 T:6816   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.TypeError'>
                                            Error Contents: 'bool' object has no attribute '__getitem__'
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "C:\Users\Mondo\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.video.ustvnow.tva\main.py", line 884, in <module>
                                                ustv._token_check()
                                              File "C:\Users\Mondo\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.video.ustvnow.tva\resources\lib\ustvnow_plus.py", line 862, in _token_check
                                                token_check = self._get_json('gtv/1/live/getcustomerkey', {'token': Addon.get_setting('token')})['username']
                                            TypeError: 'bool' object has no attribute '__getitem__'
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--
19:54:46 T:7544   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://plugin.video.ustvnow.tva/?mode=settings
19:54:46 T:7544   ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(plugin://plugin.video.ustvnow.tva/?mode=settings) failed
19:54:46 T:7372  NOTICE: Thread LanguageInvoker start, auto delete: false
19:54:46 T:7372  NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
19:54:46 T:4212  NOTICE: Thread BackgroundLoader start, auto delete: false
I am on holiday so I will have to check things more closely later. However I just tested my paid account and everything works great. I would suspect that there is something going on with your account itself that is causing the issue.

Try and create a new account with a dummy email address and see if that account works. If so then there must be something with the other account.

I guess it could be possible that they have added some extra authentication logic that hasn't rolled out to all accounts. I will have to dig in more once I am back home.

Last edited: