"USTVNOW not working"

sktn77a

Oct 17, 2015
Well, having investigated this over several weeks now, I've come to the conclusion that the problems most people are having with USTVNOW (non-web access) is due to USTVNOW now enforcing the 45 day limit on the TV/Android/phone installations of the free service. You then have to delete your account and set it up again (same credentials work). If you enter "United States" when you set up the account, you get a message saying "this service is provided for US citizens and military OVERSEAS" and you cannot proceed. If you enter a foreign country, you can set up the account and use it for 45 days on your firestick, etc.

I haven't tried anything with the paid accounts - has anybody?

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
Well, having investigated this over several weeks now, I've come to the conclusion that the problems most people are having with USTVNOW (non-web access) is due to USTVNOW now enforcing the 45 day limit on the TV/Android/phone installations of the free service. You then have to delete your account and set it up again (same credentials work). If you enter "United States" when you set up the account, you get a message saying "this service is provided for US citizens and military OVERSEAS" and you cannot proceed. If you enter a foreign country, you can set up the account and use it for 45 days on your firestick, etc.

I haven't tried anything with the paid accounts - has anybody?
I appreciate your insight. I can, however, say that some of the assumptions that are being made are not 100% accurate.

1. Entering "United States"

It is correct that you will get a message on the website that you can't access the streams. However, this doesn't actually prevent USTVnow Plus from using that account to stream. I have tested the exact scenario.

2. After 45 days on our free plan, you will be able to watch only on your computer and it will be in low resolution.

This seems to be true in the low resolution aspect. However, I am not convinced that this is the cause for customers having issues and needing to create new accounts. I have seen this exact behavior on my Paid account in the past. It has presented the same symptoms and the API calls fail in the same way. It has always seemed to happen when they were making backend changes. For whatever reason my Paid account would have issues with some or all channels. I would get errors authenticating against the stream servers. Having USTVnow move my account to a new server cleared things up. I have create a Free account and I plan to check it after 45 days to see if this restriction is a real thing.

I can say that their API does keep up with the users IP to some degree, but I haven't found where they are actually using it to restrict things.

There are some other rumors and assumptions going around as well, but so far I can't confirm any of them.

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
I just checked the API call that gives the customer subscription info. This call provides info like if the account is active or not. It also contains the plan that a customer is on and the expire date.

Here is the return on that call. I replaced any identifying info with ******.

Notice that this is showing as "plan_code": "7_FREETRIAL" with "date_expire": "0000-00-00".

I can't be 100% sure since it is not like the provide documentation for their API, but it definitely makes me think that they are not enforcing the 45 day limit. Of course this is assuming that they use this for that purpose or that they don't have somewhere else that they pull that info to use for restricting.

Code:
{
  "subscription": "Free Plan",
  "dateopened": "April 22, 2017",
  "fname": "******",
  "lname": "******",
  "ocaccountstatus": "Account active",
  "dvrpoints": 0,
  "isfacebookuser": false,
  "cgkey": "******",
  "cgaccountstatus": false,
  "cgbillingstatus": "",
  "pendinginvoices": "",
  "billingDatetime": "",
  "canceledDatetime": "",
  "cgaccountstatusreason": "",
  "cgbillingmethod": "",
  "cgredirectUrl": "",
  "invoicehistory": "",
  "ccLastFour": "",
  "sub_info": {
    "cost": 0,
    "plan": {
      "language": "en",
      "currency": "USD",
      "sub_id": 7,
      "sub_group": 4,
      "plan_code": "7_FREETRIAL",
      "plan_id": 1,
      "name": "Free Plan",
      "details": "This plan lets you receive all major US terrestrial stations (ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, NBC, PBS).  You can later upgrade to a paid plan with more channels and DVR.",
      "price": 0,
      "date_expire": "0000-00-00"
    },
    "packages": [

]
  },
  "plans": {
    "7": {
      "name": "Free Plan",
      "details": "This plan lets you receive all major US terrestrial stations (ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, NBC, PBS).  You can later upgrade to a paid plan with more channels and DVR.",
      "price": 0
    },
    "8": {
      "name": "1 Day All Channel Plan $2.99",
      "details": "24 hour pass for all channels (No DVR)",
      "price": 2.99
    },
    "9": {
      "name": "3 Day All Channel Plan $6.99 ($2.33/day)",
      "details": "3 Day pass for all channels (No DVR)",
      "price": 6.99
    },
    "10": {
      "name": "1 Week All Channel Plan $15 ($2.14/day)",
      "details": "1 Week pass for all channels (No DVR)",
      "price": 15
    },
    "23": {
      "name": "All Channel Promo Plan $19/mo first 3 months",
      "details": "Monthly subscription for all channels. This promotional price is for the first three months after which it will renew at $29. This plan automatically renews each month but you can cancel anytime and will not be billed again when your current 30 day period has expired. ",
      "price": 19
    },
    "31": {
      "name": "All Channel Promo Plan w/DVR $29/mo first 3 months",
      "details": "Monthly subscription for all channels. This promotional price is for the first three months after which it will renew at $39. This plan automatically renews each month but you can cancel anytime and will not be billed again when your current 30 day period has expired.",
      "price": 29
    }
  },
  "packages": [

],
  "sub_id": "7",
  "language": "en",
  "currency": "USD",
  "x-cg-acnt-USD": false,
  "username": "******",
  "ocaccountstatuscode": 0
}

sktn77a

Oct 17, 2015
I appreciate your insight. I can, however, say that some of the assumptions that are being made are not 100% accurate.

1. Entering "United States"

It is correct that you will get a message on the website that you can't access the streams. However, this doesn't actually prevent USTVnow Plus from using that account to stream. I have tested the exact scenario.
Well, after I got the red box saying "this service is only available to US citizens and military outside the United State", I have no "CONTINUE" button, so in my case, there was no way to complete the registration and therefore access their streams.

I think we are in violent agreement on point 2.

:)

Oh, and thank you for all the work you are doing. This post was in no way a criticism of you or your app, more a clarification of my experience with th USTVNOW system.

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
Well, after I got the red box saying "this service is only available to US citizens and military outside the United State", I have no "CONTINUE" button, so in my case, there was no way to complete the registration and therefore access their streams.

I think we are in violent agreement on point 2.

:)

Oh, and thank you for all the work you are doing. This post was in no way a criticism of you or your app, more a clarification of my experience with th USTVNOW system.
I didn't take any offense to your post. Glad to hash all this out. I just wanted to clear up as much confusion as possible.

When I got the message about being in the US I was still able to login on the website and the creds worked in USTVnow Plus. So not sure what the difference is between what I did and what you did.

I actually may have stumbled across something that might help this issue. Without going to much into the details I have found a way that might allow me to use the m3u8 playlist files more directly. I have tried this in the past but ran into various issues including losing the ability to adjust the quality. However I just found a way that seems to work.

This would mean that I would be doing less manipulation to the stream URLs and will hopefully fix some of the stream auth issues that I think are the root cause.

venik212

Jun 15, 2015
My USTVNOWplus fails every time. I deleted and reinstalled it, but it still does nothing-- it shows me what the tv channels are broadcasting (in the thumbnail) but it never streams any broadcasts. It USED to work, but stopped a few month ago. I am not in the US. Any ideas?

Last edited:

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
My USTVNOWplus fails every time. I deleted and reinstalled it, but it still does nothing-- it shows me what the tv channels are broadcasting (in the thumbnail) but it never streams any broadcasts. It USED to work, but stopped a few month ago. I am not in the US. Any ideas?
If it is a free account create a new one. That is the short answer. For more information please read the thread for bug submission guidelines. It is a sticky thread in the USTVnow forum section.

sktn77a

Oct 17, 2015
What did you delete? The add-on in Kodi or your account on the USTVNOW website? You must delete your account on their website and re-sign up (same credentials work, at least for now) in order to get it to work again.

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
Great news! I think I have it fixed!!!

I will be pushing the update very soon.

If you want to go ahead and try it out you can grab it from here.

http://ustvnowplus.com/current

In the end it still appears that they have some odd issues with their auth system or they are using a very dumb method for trying to limit free users accounts to 45 days. It does appear that after 45 days the quality does drop, but it shouldn't stop you from streaming in the addon. This new update should fix the streaming issues.

Please let me know if this works for those of you who have been having issues with your account.

sktn77a

Oct 17, 2015
Great! The link looks like it's for Kodi for windows. Will you have the fix for the android version anytime soon?

mhancoc7

m7
Staff member
Aug 2, 2015
m7kodi.dev
Great! The link looks like it's for Kodi for windows. Will you have the fix for the android version anytime soon?
The latest release has been pushed to the repo. So should be able to just update. However the zip file can be installed manually in any variation of kodi.