VERY Odd Android Connection Issues....

Wodehouse

Jul 9, 2014
VERY Odd FIRE TV/STICK Connection Issues....

I am reading an inordinate number of posts stating that users remain in a perpetual "working" mode when accessing addons.... no matter which addons they try.

I first chalked it all up to newbies working with unworthy boxes and setups... but that was until I experienced the bizarre issue virtually all day yesterday... and now intermittently today.

I thought it was very strange that when I tried to boot into addons like Ex**us, 123MOVIES, PHEONIX, and Ic*f*lms -- addons with introductory menus -- I would just click to a totally blank menu instead. And if I first clicked on Ex**us, for instance, and got the blank menu, I knew that all the other addons with menus would also be blank. And they were!

And when I went to other addons, I would just receive the perpetual "working" wheel with never a connection. Upon a total reboot of both FIRE TV and ROUTER, it might connect to one addon... before again becoming unusable.

But this strange behavior was limited to my ANDROID devices only.... my MacBook, iPAD, and iPHONE had no connection issues at the very same time accessing the very same addons!

I went to bed quite frustrated and confused.... and today the problems seem to be mostly gone: On the very same boxes I had issues with yesterday, I now boot directly into the menus and addons as is normal.

However, even today I WILL still occasionally boot my Fire TV's... and those same menus will again be blank and all other addons inaccessible. But unlike yesterday, most reboots today, immediately correct the issue and the FIRE TV then speeds along better than ever and as if nothing at all happened.

Does this "action" sound familiar to anyone else? Any ideas as to what might be going on?

I have worked with Fire TV's since they were introduced, and I can't say that I have seen this type of behavior at all. Kind of scary.

I'll try to post a log when it next occurs so that, perhaps, an expert here might decipher what is happening. But I'd be interested in hearing if others have had this same type of experience on their Android Fire TV's, Sticks, or tablets.

Last edited:

Wodehouse

Jul 9, 2014
Well, I either write to much for anyone to read... or I really AM the only one who is experiencing this.

However, with all the new "can't connect to anything" posts I keep seeing, I'm sure that there is a definite connection.

Oh well...

ccadi

May 7, 2012
RepubliK of Mancunia
Fire stick after update is giving same problems here. Fine before update. Gone back to my box as It's not something I can fix. I'll try again when amazon fix the fubar

Swanson

Dec 15, 2014
Wow! Wodehouse describes my issue better than I could have myself.

I have experienced this booting to a blank menu for the past few days on my FTV and stick.

My shortcut addons -- Ex**us, 123movies, ice films, and 1Ch**nel -- all present "blank" menus when I click on them. It's almost as if there is a blank page stuck on top of the page I want to see.

If I click on addons under my video menu when this is happening, I simply get a working arrow that never results in anything opening.

If I reboot, I will sometimes solve the problem and sometimes not.

This is bizarre and unlike anything I've experienced.

I have used XBMC and KODI for years and have never once thought about whether a click on the icon would present a working menu -- or a blank page.

Unfortunately, as much as I try to create a log, my log uploader will not cooperate at all. I'll keep trying.

I could do a total reinstall, but I'm perplexed by what is occurring and would love to try to solve it first.

I think many users might be experiencing this same thing?

Yobpar

Jan 13, 2016
I had the exact problems as described by Wodehouse and Swanson. Especially the blank shortcuts was the worse. I thought it was my skin as I have had problems with it before, but after changing skin to defualt the problem still existed.

I did notice when I had the problem that everytime I rebooted I could access the addons for about 10 to 15 seconds, if I manage to play a video within that time then the video will keep playing. But when I go back to select a different video, the folder will be empty (for all the addons including the one I accessed to play the video)

I am really interested to see what the issue was (I don't think it was a connection issue), I guess we all can be happy that it has magically resolved itself

Edit: This happened only on android (fire tv and samsung galaxy) runing v15.2, Laptop worked fine but then that is running v16.0.

Last edited:

ccadi

May 7, 2012
RepubliK of Mancunia
Just spent a couple of hours playing with this, running a wifi analyser during testing.

The only thing I achieved was finding a better channel.

What is noticable with the stick is every time it makes a connection ( speed tester or site thru addon) it briefly drops connection, then performs fine until the connection is finished whereupon it briefly drops connection again. It does this every time.

I am using the latest firestick which has had a software update in the last 10 days.

Before the update I had'nt seen this behaviour

Wodehouse

Jul 9, 2014
I had the exact problems as described by Wodehouse and Swanson. Especially the blank shortcuts was the worse. I thought it was my skin as I have had problems with it before, but after changing skin to defualt the problem still existed.

I did notice when I had the problem that everytime I rebooted I could access the addons for about 10 to 15 seconds, if I manage to play a video within that time then the video will keep playing. But when I go back to select a different video, the folder will be empty (for all the addons including the one I accessed to play the video)

I am really interested to see what the issue was (I don't think it was a connection issue), I guess we all can be happy that it has magically resolved itself

Edit: This happened only on android (fire tv and samsung galaxy) runing v15.2, Laptop worked fine but then that is running v16.0.
Sounds like you were DEFINITELY experiencing the exact same symptoms.

I, too, found it odd that even if I could get a video to play, the addon might be inaccessible just seconds later if I exited to another one and then quickly returned -- again only to find a blank page staring at me.

I also thought it might be skin-related. I had recently switched my skin to ELMERHUESO's Confluence ++ option and speculated that it might be causing the problem. But the problem remained even when ELMERHUESO's skin did not.

I then thought that the problem might be related to the new software updates being rolled out. But that theory had to be rejected when the SAME EXACT PROBLEM appeared at the same time on my ROOTED 1st generation FTV still running 5.1.1.0.

I'm still hoping that one of the developers might have also experienced the issue and have a helpful observation.

I, too, cannot seem to get my LOG UPLOADER link to work at all which is additionally frustrating.

If no developers saw it, let's hope this issue is gone for good and does not return to provide a second opportunity.

idokfire

Dec 7, 2015
For everyone having this problem, are all of you using Library integration? I have noticed similar issues when integration is happening in the background. Especially Trakt. I suggest temporarily disabling Trakt, disable Kodi library, and if using SA*TS disable subscription lookup. Then slowly with your way back up. Just a thought.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Sounds like you are losing the connection temporarily. I had a similar issue on my tablet. I installed WiFi Fixer from the play store and my problem was fixed. No more interruptions in my wifi connection. Not sure this is your problem but it certainly sounds like what I experienced a while back.

Wodehouse

Jul 9, 2014
For everyone having this problem, are all of you using Library integration? I have noticed similar issues when integration is happening in the background. Especially Trakt. I suggest temporarily disabling Trakt, disable Kodi library, and if using SA*TS disable subscription lookup. Then slowly with your way back up. Just a thought.
Not using or doing any of those, but thanks for the suggestion!

Yobpar

Jan 13, 2016
I then thought that the problem might be related to the new software updates being rolled out. But that theory had to be rejected when the SAME EXACT PROBLEM appeared at the same time on my ROOTED 1st generation FTV still running 5.1.1.0.

I, too, cannot seem to get my LOG UPLOADER link to work at all which is additionally frustrating.
This, I thought it was related to the new software. But if what ccadi said is true then it might be. Shocking though how we have been thinking along the same lines

You can extract your log on android using a file explorer, navigate to ../Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/temp/kodi.log and copy the file. When I get home I will take a look at mine and see if I can find any irregularities.

To idokfire,
Jusst like Wodehouse I don't use any of those.

Yobpar

Jan 13, 2016
Sounds like you are losing the connection temporarily. I had a similar issue on my tablet. I installed WiFi Fixer from the play store and my problem was fixed. No more interruptions in my wifi connection. Not sure this is your problem but it certainly sounds like what I experienced a while back.
Never experienced any drop in wifi like that, and in my case as I said, if there was a video playing, then the video will keep playing. But thanks for the suggestion might come in handy one day

ccadi

May 7, 2012
RepubliK of Mancunia
Installed, will test tomorrow. it's definateley an amazon problem on my end, nothing to do with kodi. Same drops occur using amazon apps

ccadi

May 7, 2012
RepubliK of Mancunia
Never experienced any drop in wifi like that, and in my case as I said, if there was a video playing, then the video will keep playing. But thanks for the suggestion might come in handy one day
The drop occurs when you finish playing, its fine and steadywhile watching. I have reproduced it whilst watching the connection.

Yobpar

Jan 13, 2016
Installed, will test tomorrow. it's definateley an amazon problem on my end, nothing to do with kodi. Same drops occur using amazon apps
I think it might be more than that as I had the same problem on my android phone.

The drop occurs when you finish playing, its fine and steadywhile watching. I have reproduced it whilst watching the connection.
Not disputing the drop. Is just that when the video is playing, without stopping it, the addons still show an empty directory. And if it was the case of a temproray wifi drop, how come it was only that one time/day?

idokfire

Dec 7, 2015
I also have a Amazon Fire TV Stick but have yet to experience this. But I will definitely pay more attention now. I had similar before the upgrade but rarely. After the upgrade, I did a full refresh of the Stick and then went to new Kodi.

sglman

Mar 8, 2016
I had the same issue since last friday found in system check the cpu was running at 100% permanantly. if this is your fault i found the cause to be a bad update from israeltv addon. deleted the addon & the cpu returned to 15% and has benn working normally ever since.

Wodehouse

Jul 9, 2014
I had the same issue since last friday found in system check the cpu was running at 100% permanantly. if this is your fault i found the cause to be a bad update from israeltv addon. deleted the addon & the cpu returned to 15% and has benn working normally ever since.
This explanation sounds extremely plausible.

Did you other posters who've experienced the issues also have Israel Live installed? I do on all my devices.

I'm assuming that a subsequent update has fixed the issue for all... and the only folks who experienced the problem were those who accessed KODI during the period the bad update was in place? Perhaps... although it would have seemed like the universe of that group would have been HUGE -- something not borne out in the number of responses.

Still does not fully explain why the issue affected ANDROID only, but I'm grateful for (seemingly) having this issue behind me.

Yobpar

Jan 13, 2016
That sound very possible as I also had IsraeLive installed, that addon is been failing alot lately.

Let's hope it doesn't return again

Edit: sglman was completely right.

Last edited:

Wodehouse

Jul 9, 2014
Major props to you, my brother. I bow to your ability to have figured this out.

As Yobpar said, ISRAEL LIVE has been going through many updates recently, so I'm assuming that one of them solved the issue -- which is why we can continue to use it without the same issue appearing.

I, for one, cannot do without ISRAEL LIVE -- the best news site on KODI, hands down. And it is the only source now for I24 news and SKY NEWS in 1080p quality.

But should this issue reappear, I know the step to take.

Thanks again for posting the solution.