Video Capture Card Advice Needed

May 6, 2012
England
Guys I really need some help here!

I've got a whole massive list of video guides to do. the ones on PC are fine as I can just use screen capture software but the ones I need to do for other devices (Android. r-pi & xbox) are a different ball game altogether. The few that I've previously done for the devices with HDMI output have been done using my camera phone and to be honest it looks crap! The xbox ones were done with an easycap USB composite capture device which is ok but not great.

So what I need is a video capture device that I can plug HDMI in to, it doesn't have to be amazing quality as it's mostly just navigation in xbmc, unfortunately I have a very low budget... scratch that I'm totally skint! I've managed to sell a few bits and pieces on ebay in order to try and fund this so here's the options I've found...

The Cheap option
The worry I have about this is, would it work with an HDMI to composite adapter like this? I know conversion between HDMI and analogue is always a tricky thing to get your head around (or at least it is for me!) so I'm not sure whether this would work or would I need some sort analogue converter?

The other option
This one really is out of my budget but if you guys think it would be ok for the job I'll get it and I'll just have to drink less at the xbmchub fest :)

Any advice would be appreciated or if you have a device you want to get rid of let me know and maybe we can strike up some sort of deal.

Last edited:

dlrtyblrdz

Apr 2, 2013
I work for a company called Sonic Foundry. Our products are for event hosting and lecture capture. In our encoders (recorders) we use a Osprey 260e. I put a spec sheet below but a lot of colleges and business use our products and services for capturing lectures, training sessions, classes, etc. Not sure if this falls in your cheap or expensive pile because i don't really know prices of cards, but i know this is what is in our product and lots of folks seem to like our capture devices. hope this helps

http://www.sonicfoundry.com/data-sheet/mediasite-rl-recorders

May 6, 2012
England
Thanks for the input, I can see why these are used professionally - they do look good but the price is unfortunately waaaay out of my league. Well if nobody else comes up with anything else I might just go for the first option and hope it works, if it doesn't I'll have to try and send it back and get the other one.

Kjxn

May 11, 2012
I have an HD 1080, small camcorder. It has a USB adapter built in. I can dig it out of the box and give you more specifics if you are interested? I bought it from bestbuy because it was small and easy to use. I've since moved on to 1080p 3D camcorder.. It would be my contribution for your time and efforts, just pay shipping? Let me know.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+W300+HD+Flash+Memory+Camcorder+-+Red/4877359.p?id=1218572405022&skuId=4877359&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=4877359&extensionType={adtype}:{network}&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!{keyword}!{matchtype}!{adwords_producttargetid}!{network}!{ifmobile:M}!{creative}&kpid=4877359&k_clickid=493128a8-967c-e5e9-435f-000032e3619e

May 6, 2012
England
Thankyou that is an amazing gesture, I'll send you a PM. I think someone is after their name being added to the credits lol.

This must be browser related, it's happening to me far too often now - somehow I keep double posting and it won't let me delete the post afterwards. Sorry for the double post, I can edit just not delete!

Last edited: