[VIDEO GUIDE] Install Openelec To USB In Under 5 Minutes!

mrecko

Jun 27, 2013
hey guys, followed this tut, and all installed, very easy and straight forward! but when installing addons 90% of them where broken, not sure why this happened, 1 channel was the only good one that installed correct, anyone got any ideas why this happened or how to fix it, thanks in advance!

awsome guide by the way! this is my first pi and apart from the obvious it is excellent! thanks again

Hustler

Mar 24, 2013
Florida
hey guys, followed this tut, and all installed, very easy and straight forward! but when installing addons 90% of them where broken, not sure why this happened, 1 channel was the only good one that installed correct, anyone got any ideas why this happened or how to fix it, thanks in advance!

awsome guide by the way! this is my first pi and apart from the obvious it is excellent! thanks again
What was your method of installing the addons? Fusion or if you use wizard android has been reported to work

mahockey

Feb 14, 2013
Has anyone used this method/image and tried a PVR add-on and Live TV setup enabled?
I did and even though I have pointed the Pi to save to USB it dumped a load of files onto the SD card, which in turn corrupted it.

I have had to abandon trying to use the PVR functionality as even though I cleaned up the SD card and got things going again I am still getting errors on boot up (it will boot OK 1st time) then I get different boot errors (see below)

switch_root: cant execute '/sbin/init' : Input/output error
[10.2831751 ] Kernal panic -not syncing:Attempting to kill init
[10.283175]

****Error in prepare_sysroot : mount_common:Could not mount /dev/SYSTEM
###STARTING DEBUGGING SHELL...TYPE EXIT TO QUIT###
sh: cant access tty: job control turnied off

mrecko

Jun 27, 2013
What was your method of installing the addons? Fusion or if you use wizard android has been reported to work

thanks for th reply, no i did not use the wizard i used fusion, so what now? do i have to reinstall, or if i run the wizard now will it work?
thanks again for th help!

mahockey

Feb 14, 2013
Am i right in saying that you cannot upgrade Openelec after using this method?

Cause I upgraded and now I am getting errors at boot

Hustler

Mar 24, 2013
Florida
If you are getting boot errors after the update it is possible the error was caused because the over clock was set to high

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Yes as hustler said its likely overclocking.

Unzip openELEC 2.2.3 tar file with 7z or winrar, copy from the folder "target" the files SYSTEM (overwrite the old one) and KERNEL to the sdcard, rename KERNEL to kernel.img (again overwriting existing one).

Plug your sdcard back in the pi and see if it boots. If it does next time rename your config.txt to config.bak before update, clock the speeds down, or get a sdcard that can handle it. :)

joe2jacks

Nov 2, 2012
Error in mount_storage: mount_common: Could not mount /dev/mmcblk0p2***
Starting debugging shell... type exit to quit
sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
i am getting a similar error to this

boot=LABEL=SYSTEM disk=LABEL=STORAGE ssh quiet
my cmdline.txt looks like its ok
it still wont boot up, i am at a loss

SenorLoco

Aug 1, 2013
I've used this method a couple times without any issue which is great. One questions I had though....is there any way possible to pre-configure the wifi info?. I have a couple Pis hooked up to TVs that don't support CEC and no other remote to hook up so was hoping there might be a way to get those setup without having to plug them into my TV that supports CEC.

Thanks!

Quihico

Jun 4, 2013
Quote Originally Posted by legohed View Post
If you do this, does that mean you can get rid of the SD card afterwards?
No, you will always need the SD card. That would be like removing your operating system from your PC.
If you boot from USB/NFS (so not just the storage but also the SYSTEM is on USB/NFS) than you could remove the SD card after boot and the Pi would keep on going, I tried. Unfortunately you would need it again at next boot. I had 1 Pi which ran without SD for over a week until it froze and had to be rebooted.

is there any way possible to pre-configure the wifi info?
Settings are stored at /storage/.cache/connman so copy that. Also you could get a gpio-ir receiver and use any old ir-remote you got lying around. I can send you a set of 3 wires + receiver for buck+postage...
You could also duplicate working setup with win32diskimager and use that for the other pis

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Error in mount_storage: mount_common: Could not mount /dev/mmcblk0p2***
Starting debugging shell... type exit to quit
sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
i am getting a similar error to this

my cmdline.txt looks like its ok
it still wont boot up, i am at a loss
Your cmdline is wrong 100%. Sure its on the sdcard and have the right name and nothing but:
Code:
Because the error says disk= defenatly points to your sdcard's second partition (/dev/mmcblk0p2)

Double check your cmdline.txt on the sdcard and the label of your USB stick.

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Hi! I was wondering if the tutorial on page on still is valid and the way to install OpenELEC to an USB? :)
Both should be good.. This one uses a 3rd party partition tool and it is faster. If you can easily figure out new programs. The other method tricks openELEC into formatting the usbstick to ext4 format instead of using a partition tool and require no 3rd party programs.

I'll re-write this one with screenshots, its not that hard.