[VIDEO GUIDE] Install Openelec To USB In Under 5 Minutes!

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
I will rewrite this guide with new files and screenshots during today!

And rescue you from the stupid clown language and instructions written by someone not here anymore. Even a caveman Dane can master and spell English much better than that. ;)

Excuse us on behalf of the OP.
Best Regards tuxen

Last edited:

mahockey

Feb 14, 2013

And rescue you from the stupid clown language and instructions written by someone not here anymore. Even a caveman Dane can master and spell English much better than that. ;)

Best Regards tuxen

crimbosmith

Dec 2, 2013

Best Regards tuxen
Has it been done yet?

slimcobra

Jul 24, 2013
Tuxen please save this idiot. I had been using your 10 minute setup with over clocking for a while now. Any time there was an OpenELEC update I would set the config back to stock, update and over clock again. Well this weekend I tried running the OpenELEC update without setting the clock settings back and what do you now it broke. I went to go re-install to the stock settings and I couldn't remember how. I came to the forum to get the link to the video and found the links were all broke. Then I found this five minute setup post but found the links were broke. I am anxiously awaiting you latest guide. Please help this idiot!

Shiz

Nov 6, 2012
Hey since this thread isnt really being updated anymore, are the files in the OP simply All the files from the 3rdparty folder, SYSTEM and KERNEL inside the target folder in the OpenElec tar file?

Gibbio

Dec 21, 2012
Yes that's the same video the developer has just moved to a new forum same process tho...

Gibbio

Dec 21, 2012
A group has started there own forum with addons that include google analytics the Hub does not support this basically you can read more about it somewhere that's the short version

mahockey

Feb 14, 2013

Quihico

Jun 4, 2013
I am guessing its because I dont have a typical setup (SD AND USB)...can someone help please.
Do you have just Storage on USB or System also? If your System is on SD then there should be no problem. If your System is on USB then the kernel won't get updated (cos it's on SD and SYSTEM file is on USB) and you will have to manually replace it (& rename KERNEL to kernel.img)
Also I found that when updating: either reboot from within XBMC or use SSH. If I cut power to reboot, most of the time I will get the checksum error. Try unpacking OpenELEC first and only place the contents of "target" folder in the update folder & reboot.

Last edited:

mahockey

Feb 14, 2013
Thanks for the reply.

1.)Yes USB labelled 'STORAGE' - SD labelled 'SYSTEM'

2.) I unzipped the BETA and only copied the x2 Kernal and x2 System files from the 'target' folder, and copied them into the 'update; folder

3.) I also only reboot using the XBMC power button at bottom of the screen.

As you can see I have already previously followed all your recommendations (thanks!) but still I cant get update to occur.

any ideas?

as I said I followed the instructions from the forst post of this thread to a tee - using all associated software and files, but still having issues.

anyone else used this thread but able to update?

Frederick_99

Sep 18, 2012
UK
i think the best way to update is to :

power off the Pi
put SD card into PC
unpack openelec update file
copy/replace over all files in bootloader directory to SD card (SYSTEM) ( except maybe config.txt if you have settings you wish to retain)
copy/replace over SYSTEM and KERNEL files to SD card
delete the old KERNEL.img file
rename the new KERNEL file to KERNEL.img

put SD card back into Pi and power up

never failed for me , 5 mins tops to do

Quihico

Jun 4, 2013
rename the new KERNEL file to KERNEL.img
Updating like Frederick_99 says is also a very good way of updating, I just like to leave the SDcard in the pi as much as possible :)
Also, "KERNEL" should be renamed "kernel.img" (no caps) I think.

cutnshoot84

Jun 3, 2014
http://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Ultimate-Starter-Components/dp/B00G1PNG54/ref=pd_cp_pc_0

I just found XBMC and trying to get off the dish $ pit. I am pretty new to this and I guess raspberry pi is on the lower end of the price range but is supposed to be pretty good. I tried to view the vid you posted but it is no longer there.
I hope you don't mind me picking your brain to help me set up something to work with XBMC. I see a raspberry pi ( link above ) and wanted to know your opinion of this kit. Is it a descent kit and will it work with the simple setup you described in this post? Will it cover wireless multiple tv with XBMC on them , each independent of each other or do you have to have one of these for each tv.
Sry for the newbie questions and I would really appreciate any other advice in starting out on this trek of non-dependency on dish/direct tv.

Frederick_99

Sep 18, 2012
UK
http://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Ultimate-Starter-Components/dp/B00G1PNG54/ref=pd_cp_pc_0

I just found XBMC and trying to get off the dish $ pit. I am pretty new to this and I guess raspberry pi is on the lower end of the price range but is supposed to be pretty good. I tried to view the vid you posted but it is no longer there.
I hope you don't mind me picking your brain to help me set up something to work with XBMC. I see a raspberry pi ( link above ) and wanted to know your opinion of this kit. Is it a descent kit and will it work with the simple setup you described in this post? Will it cover wireless multiple tv with XBMC on them , each independent of each other or do you have to have one of these for each tv.
Sry for the newbie questions and I would really appreciate any other advice in starting out on this trek of non-dependency on dish/direct tv.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGFdQVwc8Q0#t=10

mickh

Dec 5, 2012
i followed the tut, but when i start oenelec i get this message, error in mount_flash:mount common:could not mount label=SYSTEM.start debuging shell,type exit to quit.sh cant access tty; job control turned off. i have installed it before and all was well, help please, mickhd :(

Quihico

Jun 4, 2013
error in mount_flash:mount common:could not mount label=SYSTEM
It's saying it can't mount a partition labeled "SYSTEM". OpenELEC formats to "System" by default so maybe try changing your cmdline.txt to boot=LABEL=System instead of boot=LABEL=SYSTEM, if that doesn't work, try using the device method instead of the label method, i.e:
boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 ssh quiet
for SD-only setup
or
boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/sda1 ssh quiet
for SD & USB setup with only Storage on USB
or
boot=/dev/sda1 disk=/dev/sda2 ssh quiet
for both System & Storage on USB.

mickh

Dec 5, 2012
were do i put this file boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 ssh quiet,thanks mickh