Video guide to building a plugin

Liam

Banned
Aug 21, 2013
Liverpool
Any of you devs out there willing to make a video of yourself creating a plugin from start to finish for people like me who would like to no how to make one and in future release one :D

dkplayaclub

Sep 14, 2012
Rochester, NY
I have been learning python recently. It is going a lot slower than I had expected, what with real life keeping me so busy. I do not know what your level of expertise with Python is, but I started with the lessons at Code Academy. I am planning on checking out Voinage's guide once I have mastered all of the tests at CA. It can be found here : http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Write_plugins_for_XBMC

As far as video guides go, there are none specifically that I know of, but we have a great community here. You never know. :)

Heisenberg

Oct 21, 2013
Get an addon you like or use install python and disect it and learn from it.

Dont like the call for adverts, remove it ;), dont like the background change it ;), learn learn learn.

Always credit the orginal creator and try to write an addon from what you have learnt.

good luck

psxcare

Dec 12, 2013
all programmers say the same thing to look at this link.why not make a little video clip.
You do not lose anything on it.it would be helpful to many people.

psxcare

Dec 12, 2013
how to scrape a page.
what is urllib urllib2 should I have them in the same folder as the python
how do you get up regex code is all different sides
I have followed the wiki guide on how to write xbmc plugin without get anywhere

Eldorado

Staff member
May 7, 2012
Don't lose anything but very valuable personal time

A video is a hard thing to do, from start to finish? It will be 2 weeks long!

There's lots of guides and even basic skeletons to use as starting points, but when it comes to programming it needs a good deal of effort from the developer to learn the language, concepts etc. and is even more difficult if you don't have previous development background ie. If you don't understand how imported libraries work, then it's a very steep hill to climb

Start with the guides, come back here with *specific* questions, where are you stuck? What exact piece of code don't you understand? What site/page are you trying to scrape and what do you want from it? Show us the code you are working with

The best learning tool of them all (how I learned) is by looking at other addons, with a development background I was able to at least understand what was happening... many frustrating hours later, lots of questions, I had a basic addon working

badra100

Dec 26, 2013
Thanks for the video guiding about plugin. It is very useful for me to building the plugin.