VPN...Are they Really needed?

-LT-

Feb 1, 2018
The Base of Yggdrasil
Hey Everybody. I have a question. Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed, I
am rather new to the forums....Thanks for any help.

My Oldest son runs a "Jailbroken" Firestick he tells me. I asked him what sort of protection
he has for this...He says "Nothing, I never needed any" My question is, Is a "VPN" something
he should have?...Or is it truly not really needed?...If not a "VPN"...then what?

Last edited by a moderator:

syntax

Staff member
Jun 6, 2017
Hey Everybody. I have a question. Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed, I
am rather new to the forums....Thanks for any help.

My Oldest son runs a "Jailbroken" Firestick he tells me. I asked him what sort of protection
he has for this...He says "Nothing, I never needed any" My question is, Is a "VPN" something
he should have?...Or is it truly not really needed?...If not a "VPN"...then what?
https://www.tvaddons.co/kodi-vpn-benefits/

jailbreaks = apple devices
rooting = android devices

there is no such thing as a jailbroken firestick it is only a stock firestick that some seller has preloaded kodi and addons on it
and call it jailbroken cause it is just merely a sales pitch to lure people in for extra dollars.

Last edited:

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
It really depends on what you stream (sort of). If you simply stream non-torrent content, you SHOULD have no issues. I don't know of anyone ever prosecuted for streaming movies or TV Shows.

If you stream torrent content, it is the same as downloading torrents and you should have protection in the way of a VPN. Some addons allow you to stream torrents through Read Debrid or Premiumize me which makes the torrents safe. These addons also do not require VPN.

Other addons stream true torrents and would require protection.

That being said, if you really want to be certain you are protected, get a VPN and run it while streaming. This will remove any doubts but will also slow down your connection a bit.

Hope this helps.

-LT-

Feb 1, 2018
The Base of Yggdrasil
Thank you again RavRob. It's just what I wanted to know. My Son like me,
only streams movies and TV...No Sports...No Po rn...ect,ect....Simple stuff only.
So, I think he should be okay...Thanks a Million.

ideboedyourmom

Apr 8, 2017
Although I'm sure people will disagree, I've heard it said before by smarter people than myself that "as of now," if you live inside the U.S. using a VPN for the purposes of streaming is useless. From what I've read, it can also cause problems sometimes by blocking content.

Maverickz

Dec 20, 2013
Although I'm sure people will disagree, I've heard it said before by smarter people than myself that "as of now," if you live inside the U.S. using a VPN for the purposes of streaming is useless. From what I've read, it can also cause problems sometimes by blocking content.
With Net Neutrality ending soon, that may no longer be the case. The purpose will not to be to hide your identity as much as to prevent your ISP from blocking or throttling traffic to "high data" sites that are not paying your ISP a premium.

Whatif

Jan 24, 2018
So happy that net neutrality has not been introduced here, and hope that they never will. It would contravene our anticompetitive laws as it stands at the moment, so they would have to do some very contraversial changes to our laws to even have a hope to do it
But still, use several security approaches most of the time - like a good VPN on my PC's and other devices.

Last edited:

x243

Jan 27, 2018
I'm very new to this KODI stuff and I just started using a VPN a few months ago.