Walmart to start carrying Android boxes... The Mi Box to be specific at $69...

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
It appears Walmart is getting into the 'in store' Android TV box market, might not be a bad option for those living in the US vs rolling the dice for online purchases... I suspect the fact it's being sold in a large retail chain means it's fully and properly licensed and will have at least some level of support... If not, with Walmart's liberal return policy you have little risk to give the box a try, IMO...

I'll be keeping an eye out at my local Walmart and picking one up when they have them...

https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/23/xiaomis-android-tv-box-showed-up-at-a-walmart-for-69/

http://www.mi.com/en/mibox/

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
Mali 450 is yesterday's news already. You want the new Mali 820. I just received mine (nexbox a1) and it's the best picture I've ever seen. I'm impressed big time.

You can buy an equivalent android from eBay or China for under 50 bucks, if you shop around, 37 dollars will get you the same thing.

But regardless- good post

thanks for sharing this info, good food for thought.

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
You can buy an equivalent android from eBay or China for under 50 bucks, if you shop around, 37 dollars will get you the same thing.
At this point I would hesitate on suggesting you can get 'equivalent' for less... We will need more solid details but this box appears to have a fully licensed version of Android TV 6.0 and they are officially partnered with Google as an Android TV box manufacture... Thus with a legit Android TV OS, what appears to be proper licensing and an official partnership with Google you actually have more than almost all other 'cheap' Android boxes offer right off the get go, and with all that 'official status' the potential (details are sketchy) for it to stream true HD and 4K content in apps like Netflix and others is certainly there...

To the best of my knowledge this is the only other fully Google licensed 4K Android TV box beyond the NVIDIA Shield at this time, thus potentially making it something far more than the generic non-licensed imports...

Last edited:

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
That is a 3rd party seller using Walmart's online market, there are several 3rd party seller Android box offerings on Walmart's site...

The one I linked is unique as it's being sold on the shelves in stores by Walmart themselves...

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
licensing means nothing to me. The hardware itself is the "proof within the pudding" that's what makes your android what it is.

Here we are a bunch of free streamers discussing licensing? With all due respect I don't see your point?

A googled out android is not the best foundation either, the shield is a prime example, I have two of them but passing through google for everything is not a comfortable feeling. Someday I may root one of mine to get away from that.

I prefer pure hardware and not tollbooths myself.

Last edited:

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
licensing means nothing to me. The hardware itself is the "proof within the pudding" that's what makes your android what it is.
Not necessarily, without a good and stable OS that is able to use the hardware properly the biggest and best hardware doesn't matter one bit...

Here we are a bunch of free streamers discussing licensing? With all due respect I don't see your point?
Not everyone buys an Android box to only 'free stream' so if licensing doesn't matter to you don't assume it doesn't matter to some as it does in fact matter to some...

Without proper licensing no matter how much brute force the machine has many legit streaming apps are crippled... As I stated with Netflix for example without the proper licensing you can only watch in SD, thus if you want or desire HD or 4K streams from Netflix as I do you need the proper licensing to accomplish this, doesn't matter if you have the biggest and best hardware you won't be streaming Netflix in HD/4K without the proper licensing in place...

Now maybe that doesn't matter to you but it matters to me and others that use apps or whatever that requires proper licensing to function properly/optimally...

A googled out android is not the best foundation either, the shield is a prime example, I have two of them but passing through google for everything is not a comfortable feeling. Someday I may root one of mine to get away from that.
'Best' is not quantitative, what might be 'best' for your needs might be 'garbage' to another, it's basically just your opinion in the end... For many a sub $100 Android box that fits in your pocket and does everything you desire, is a far better choice than some other bigger and better hardware device that cost more, regardless of the specs... Fact is not everyone has a Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor attitude towards TV set top boxes or any device for that matter...

A perfect example is Apple devices and computers, they are almost always behind in hardware specs but you will find no shortage of people claiming Apple devices to be the 'best' on the market at this or that based on other variables beyond the hardware like the OS...