[WELCOME] XBMCHUB does OUYA

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
Somewhere In This Crazy World
You know us, and we know XBMC. Many of the members of XBMCHUB's Team Members are kickstarter backers of this project... Including myself. As such, we want a place to talk, share, tip, trick, and hack our boxes when they get here.

So, welcome to your OUYA home away from home ;)

We will have some special treats just for ouya. ;)

bobpeace

Nov 28, 2012
Can't wait for mine to arrive! Looking forward to the "hub" getting their coding hands on it!

k_zeon

May 7, 2012
just a few questions if anyone knows.
1. does it come with any operating system.
2. If not is it easy to install and what can be installed
3. How can you load XBMC (depending on Op System)
4. devs have obviously been working on XBMC running on Ouya. what Op system are they using.
or are they directly using XBMC as Op system.

thanks

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
The operating system is simply Android. That said, they have worked hard to make some key features unique to the OUYA hence they have an ODK instead of an SDK.

All of this... you can side load any apk onto the OUYA.

XBMC will be a version of android... but the videos on YouTube show it running SMOOTH. ;)

Jacksuarez7

Aug 17, 2012
The operating system is simply Android. That said, they have worked hard to make some key features unique to the OUYA hence they have an ODK instead of an SDK.

All of this... you can side load any apk onto the OUYA.

XBMC will be a version of android... but the videos on YouTube show it running SMOOTH. ;)
Any update as to when you'll be getting this? Bit the bullet a few weeks ago and placed a (pre) order - well behind in the queue but interested to hear your experience with it when it lands......

Cablekiller

Sep 18, 2012
Middle of Nowhere
Just got this

Project Update #21: Our loyal supporters,
For backers only, Posted by OUYA

OUYA is shipping! I know you are anxious to play and probably want to know when to expect yours. Here’s the plan:

We began shipping last week, 3/27 in fact. We had two days of manufacturing and then we had to stop for Easter. This week, we got 3 days of work and then had to stop for the Qingming Festival. I know this sucks but we will be picking up the pace.

Starting next week, we will be building and shipping units 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Also, we are bringing on new vendors to help us deliver faster. However, we will not sacrifice quality for speed.

The rollout will be as follows: We are starting with the standard OUYA unit (grey console+controller), then working on the Kickstarter exclusive units and units with more than one controller.

Also, every Friday, on our blog (www.ouya.tv/blog), we will update you on our progess and plan. As of today, we plan on making our final delivery in May. In fact, until now we were sending shipping alerts only when your shipment left the assembly line. Because you asked for it, we will now send out pre-shipping alerts a week before to let you know your order is queued up.

We appreciate your continued support as we deliver your OUYA -- and know that every day there are more games for you to play! That’s the best part. :)

Thank you,

Julie

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
Yeah... I suspect I will receive mine this month, as I backed teh $99 level which turns out to be the first run they are going to do.

I will do an unbloxing, first impression, how to get XBMC, How to get HUB ADDONS, and more via my YouTube Channle... XBMCHUB Helpers.

Jarvis

Banned
May 7, 2012
Emerald Isle
Really looking forward to how these work out for you. I've had terrible experience with android Xbmc and have kinda dis-regarded it but I hope this is a big step forward.

krankdroid

Aug 14, 2012
You know us, and we know XBMC. Many of the members of XBMCHUB's Team Members are kickstarter backers of this project... Including myself. As such, we want a place to talk, share, tip, trick, and hack our boxes when they get here.

So, welcome to your OUYA home away from home ;)

We will have some special treats just for ouya. ;)

so who knows if someone is working on a Linux based XBMC build?

i couldn't care less about the games. as soon as i heard there was official XBMC dev going on, i jumped on board.

But i REALLY wish to see a Linux based build instead of the Android based. yeah i know, you can set Android to boot straight into XBMC, and i am guessing i have to live with that until a Linux based build comes along.

i doubt that OpenELEC will get into OUYA, but maybe Geexbox or some other dev team will rise to the challenge.

as far as i understand. Tegra 3 has an Linux outreach program..

May 6, 2012
England
If it's the stability of xbmc on android you're worried about I got a new android tablet last week and I have to say EVERYTHING I've thrown at it so far has worked perfectly and that's with the standard official xbmc build - no tweaks or anything. It's running faster than my r-pi (which runs pretty damn sweet) and similar in speed to my PC setups. Hopefully the OUYA can match the experience I've been having on this tablet (Dual Core Arm 9 CPU, Mali 400 Quad Core GPU).

oreste191

May 9, 2013
I just got my ouya as well. Did a search on their app store for the XBMC and couldn't find it. Is there an ETA of when we would be able to install XBMC?

Has any made a tutorial/video on how to install XBMC on Ouya yet? I just got my system yesterday.

hooley

Aug 8, 2012
Galway Ireland
Try this: 1) Used the OUYA browser under the MAKE menu and went to XBMC.org and downloaded the current Android build of XBMC.
2) Got out of the browser and went to the Manage menu.
3) Under the Manange menu, I went to System and then Advanced which pulled up the default Android menu.
4) On the default Android menu I went to Storage and then Downloads and clicked on the downloaded file and it installed.
5) Next I used the browser again and downloaded the .zip files for Na*i-X and 1Ch**nel and installed them through the XBMC add-on menu.

Just and FYI, on the OUYA XBMC shows up under the MAKE menu.
I don't have an ouya, so I haven't tried this yet. Hopefully it will help you out.

raymoyers

May 15, 2013
Try this: 1) Used the OUYA browser under the MAKE menu and went to XBMC.org and downloaded the current Android build of XBMC.
2) Got out of the browser and went to the Manage menu.
3) Under the Manange menu, I went to System and then Advanced which pulled up the default Android menu.
4) On the default Android menu I went to Storage and then Downloads and clicked on the downloaded file and it installed.
5) Next I used the browser again and downloaded the .zip files for Na*i-X and 1Ch**nel and installed them through the XBMC add-on menu.

Just and FYI, on the OUYA XBMC shows up under the MAKE menu.
I don't have an ouya, so I haven't tried this yet. Hopefully it will help you out.
I got my OUYA 2 weeks ago and this is exactly how I set it up. It works. The only difference is, you have to download the latest android nightly, not the most current stable build. The nightly has the hardware acceleration necessary for the OUYA to run properly.

Also, once installed, add the fusion installer in the file manager and download the repositories and add-ons you want from there. Way easier than downloading the zips via the ouya browser and installing after.

Anyway, using this method is easy and XBMC works great for my. I have 1Ch**nel, Ic*f*lms, Na*i-X, hulu, all running great. The only issue is you have to use the touchpad in XBMC when entering text in the on screen keyboard. Kinda lame, but it works.

Here's a youtube video on how to load apps within the OUYA console for all you visual learners out there: http://www.xbmchub.com/blog/2013/06/02/how-to-install-xbmc-to-the-ouya-gaming-console/ The steps are the same to load XBMC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amin B

Banned
May 6, 2012
" download the latest android nightly, not the most current stable build. The nightly has the hardware acceleration necessary for the OUYA to run properly. "

Where's this information from?

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
so which xbmc do we use then?

thank you
For now... It truly depends on how you are using it. If you have a TON OF MKVs on external drive you wanna stream... You need the beta build, not nighties, that we have linked in the forest few posts.

If you are going to simply use addon within XBMC and do mp4s and such... Disregard the post above and Download the stable 12.2. This is does it all including live streams.

Sit tight... There should be an official app close to launch at the end of June. ;)