What XBMC to Install

k_zeon

May 7, 2012
Have just purchased an Intel Nuc (Celeron) and now want to install XBMC
As there are so many to choose from , I wanted to know which one would best and why.
ie Openelec, RaspXBMC, XBMCUbuntu etc

Things like :-
which is fastest at showing Movie lists and art work.
Is SSH enabled
How often do they get updated
Most stable
and anything else you would like to mention

I will just be using XBMC as a media centre and nothing else.

any insight from anyone would be very welcome.

thanks

Dr Peter OBoogie

Jun 24, 2013
If you don't have a hard drive installed you best option is openelec on a usb stick. You will need a pc of sorts (win, Lin, mac etc) to actually set up and install to the stick but its a very easy process.

Even if you have purchased an ssd already I would still prefer over windows, but I don't use Netflix or skygo which are dependant on Silverlight.

Menu's are fast, updates usually as xbmc issues updates

You can enable ssh in the setup.

Last edited:

k_zeon

May 7, 2012
How about the windows Version? That's what its made for.
Hi TheLion. I love windows but not for this. I don't want to have to get antivirus and firewall setup and would worry about getting hacked/ connected to. Plus all the rest of the system running services etc.
thanks for replying

k_zeon

May 7, 2012
If you don't have a hard drive installed you best option is openelec on a usb stick. You will need a pc of sorts (win, Lin, mac etc) to actually set up and install to the stick but its a very easy process.

Even if you have purchased an ssd already I would still prefer over windows, but I don't use Netflix or skygo which are dependant on Silverlight.

Menu's are fast, updates usually as xbmc issues updates

You can enable ssh in the setup.
Hi Dr Peter OBoogie
I have SSD on its way. I have played with Openelec before and currently have RaspXBMC on Rasberry Pi (bit slow)
I also have ATV2 but looking to sell this as Now have the Nuc which should be a lot faster.
Will be selling ATV2 on ebay very soon.

thanks for reply