What's the best way to learn about building add ons

pmisner

May 19, 2016
I know enough python to be dangerous, and I haven't been able to find any beginner's tutorials to building add ons. I would like to build an addon that mimics wefunkradio.com on Kodi. It's a great collection of music, they have an api, and I could move out of the dangerous category. Any pointers on how you learned would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance, and apologies if I missed this elsewhere on the forum.
paul

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
The official Kodi.tv forums offer a lot of support as does the Kodi Wiki website, beyond that most addons are open source so you can easily just look over existing code to see how things work and interact...

dudehere

Dec 14, 2012
I know enough python to be dangerous, and I haven't been able to find any beginner's tutorials to building add ons. I would like to build an addon that mimics wefunkradio.com on Kodi. It's a great collection of music, they have an api, and I could move out of the dangerous category. Any pointers on how you learned would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance, and apologies if I missed this elsewhere on the forum.
paul
Most people start by taking an addon you like and trying to add some small function that seems to be missing. It all unfolds from there. much easier then starting from scratch.

xbman

Developer
Feb 3, 2013
usa
api.wefunkradio.com url gives me a: File Not Found...

But I do see the api url showing up in my firebug addon. (a firefox browser addon.)
So maybe the api url is obsolete now? i dunno...

- If the api url data loads up in your web browser.. then i could help you out...
- Same goes for any other websites... ...if it has api data that will load into your browser..
...then it's good to go. it makes it way easier.... indeed.

grossdm

Aug 16, 2015
Most people start by taking an addon you like and trying to add some small function that seems to be missing. It all unfolds from there. much easier then starting from scratch.
Oh no! I've been doing just that with SA*TS. With every update, I go through and make a number of changes/additions to the code so that it behaves like *I* want. :D

Am I destined to become a Kodi/python developer?

Doug®