What's the difference??

ddancy001

Aug 5, 2015
So I've been using my 1st Gen Apple TV to stream since late 2011 and it's been working amazing. I do have the odd glitch here and there but I can't complain. I also use my Macbook pro to stream as well.

I've been seeing some articles that KODI won't support first gen apple TV going forward which is fine.

I see all these different options like - NVIDIA Shield TV, Amazon Fire TV, Google Nexus player etc..

What do these things do differently? Do they make the TV stream faster? Do some streams work better with these? Is there less buffering? I'm just trying to understand what this hardware does are and what I should be looking for if I'm considering buying one.

When I choose something to watch and I have to click on a feed isn't the buffering and speed all controlled by your ISP not the hardware?

Thanks
Derek

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
Im watching mlbmc in 4k with my shield, its completely awesome. Of course you need a 4k tv also, but they are going to be holding back on production of 1080 tvs and producing a ton of 4k tvs in the near future so for me its a matter of being ready and having the latest greatest hardware.

Also navigation throughout kodi is so fast that its instant, and coinidence or not, my mlb streams do seem more stable.

jokster

Staff member
Jan 3, 2013
Tír na nÓg
The main differences between devices is speed.
Navigation and scraping speed is increased with more memory and processing power.
There are some scaling options not available to lesser powered boxes too.
Virtually all boxes do 1080 now.