Which box now?

new2gbox

Feb 1, 2013
I've been using gbox midnight and been really happy with it, but time for a change either gbox mx2 or little black box thoughts?

MediaPi

May 19, 2013
G-Box Midnight MX2 Specifications:

* Amlogic A9 Dual Core Neon HD CPU
* Mali400 Quad Core High Performance 3D GPU
* 1GB RAM (DDR3)
* 8GB Total Internal Storage
* USB Storage Extendable (Flash Drives/HDD)
* SD Storage Extendable (Up to 32GB!)
* 802.11b/g/n internal Wifi
* HDMI v1.4 video output
* 10/100 Ethernet Port
* Coaxial SPDIF Digital Audio Output (Surround Sound)
* Composite Audio/Video Out
* 4x USB 2.0 Ports
* Android 4.2.x Jelly Bean installed
* Supports Wireless USB Keyboard/Mouse
* Google Play Store installed
* Fully Rooted!

little black box

Chipset Family ARM Cortex A9
Chipset Model Amlogic 8726-M3
Chipset GPU Mali400
Internal Memory 1GB
Internal Storage 4GB
USB 1 Port
LAN 10/100 MBit
WIFI a/b/g/n
Video Output HDMI
Audio Output HDMI
Max Resolution 1080p [Full HD] - Full 1080p video with full passthrough for dts and Dolby Digital

GBOX mx2 is android and TLBB is linux.

So far from this forum I believe umouch and Mikey1234 have got one and Mikey1234 loves his quote "this box rocks definite replacement for my Apple TV"

umouch while comparing TLBB to Ouya (on this thread http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/little-black-box/10970-little-black-box-ouya.html#post99711) wrote

Hands down... OUYA.
on the same thread wrote Nukeybrown

"Id say ouya but in the meantime sumvision nano slim + until ouya sort out their own version of xbmc" (still comparing the Ouya to the TLBB)

The Little Black Box - £99.99 Amazon
G-Box Midnight MX2 - £104.99 Amazon - bad reviews
Ouya £99

MediaPi

May 19, 2013
My only reservation with the TLBB is that in terms of menu navigation its running on a single core (I would say two generations behind in xbmc) except that its linux so that helps. Even though its a cute system I think its price is not competitve. So I would not reccomended that for last 2 years specs.

I really guess Ouya since the comminuty will iron out the bugs and in 3 months it will be rock solid platform, given its got possibly the fastest soc from all 3 it is the best IMO. Also I believe the Ouya will have possibly the most updates from the 3 systems, (once they open source the thing like they said and allow the hacks) So because of the I would not go with TLBB

Also on XBMC.org theirs a thread "Ouya or Lenovo q190... your thoughts please"

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=171302

the Lenovo q190 cost around £220

nickh

Aug 5, 2013
I bought an mx2 but sent it back as it didn't work properly, graphics kept flickering :(

new2gbox

Feb 1, 2013
Thanks very much for the information you have provided on that note it looks like I will wait on the ouya ironing the bugs out

MediaPi

May 19, 2013
I'm surprised no one on this forum has mentioned Intels Next Unit of Computing the NUC

They are an x86 machine. I've heard they come in 4 different versions the celeron, i3, i5, i7
Its barebones like a raspberry Pi so you have to buy the Ram the Powersupply the Harddrive. Because its an x86 machine you litterly are good to go, no messing about with anything. If you buy the i3 or i5 you can do gaming, it actually nicer than any of these machine.

Best thing with this is you can update bit by bit and you won't have to keep buying newer android hardware, just upgrade to an SSD and you have a faster system. Or upgrade the Ram and you can do more multitasking.

This is my honest advice, sell the Gbox on ebay with the funds invest in a NUC atleast the i3, so atleast in the future you can even use it to run windows if you wanted and play games. (or even get the celeron version) Don't bother with the android platform, not yet anyway and instead of always having to upgrade the whole system the NUC can do hardware upgrades.

If you spent £80 on GBOX and another £100 on Ouya, you could have gotten a better system as the NUC celeron (by the way it runs aeon Nox no problem) with better internals for the same price and still be able to upgrade in the future.

NUC FTW LOL

Last edited:

Nukeybrown

May 13, 2012
I would still stand by the nano slim+ as its tried tested and rock solid box for streaming dont know many people with issues which says a lot. You could also by an ouya and wait like i am for their own version of xbmc. But for now i believe you cant go wrong with nano slim+

MediaPi

May 19, 2013
new2gbox I just created a thread to talk about the NUC please have a look in this thread all your questions will be answered and join in the discussion..

http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/htpc-systems-all-platforms/11161-intel-nuc-next-unit-computing.html

The NUC sounds perfect what about storage take external hdd
its an x86 system you can add storage easily anything you want and also you can place your storage inside the case you get with it so its hidden. Its got a Sata connection so ridiciously faster than a USB connection....when SSD come down in price you can upgrade to that and have better performance... Join my thread discussion if you got more questions to ask

Last edited:

MediaPi

May 19, 2013
Nukeybrown that box looks ridiculously sweet! really cheap to, does it do 1080p? great find man

Nukeybrown

May 13, 2012
Yeah does 1080p and is tried and tested so majority of issues if not all have now been ironed out. Comes from same production line as the pivos so has virtually if not exactly the same circuit board

Nukeybrown

May 13, 2012
Wifi works, only issue seems to be virgin super hub but changing the ssid to something like vmma and a simple passcode also putting it on channel 1 seems to rectify this.

MediaPi

May 19, 2013
gbox midnight - Powerful A9-MIII Neon Cortex soc
nano slim+ - ARM A9, 800MHz

I agree the box looks sweet but new2gbox wants an upgrade otherwise theirs no point in buying new "untested" (by you) hardware.
new2gbox the socs are almost the same, meaning its the same as gbox midnight in a different case. Have a look at this thread
http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/htpc-systems-all-platforms/11161-intel-nuc-next-unit-computing.html#post101674

Granted it costs more but just have a look at my break down. Look at my last post in particular

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Android Boxes 0
W Android Boxes 10
W Android Boxes 6