Which device do you use to run Kodi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty1gr

Apr 10, 2014
1 Kodi 14.2 on an HTPC (ZBOX) running Windows 8.1
1 Kodi 15.2 on a FireTV Stick
2 Kodi 15.2 installations on Android 6 (hardware: Nexus 6 and Nexus 7)
1 installation on the wife's Fire Tablet

(Main device is the ZBOX PC. I guess I am a...Koddict :p)

Have also installed it on another 3 FireTV sticks, and 1 MX2 Midnight under OpenElec. It generally runs without issues in all installations. Was pleseantly surprised by the MX2 that after installing OpenElec it was like buying a new device! And that is thanks to you guys in tvaddons.co! :)

Last edited:

Beckncallgirl

Mar 14, 2016
Minix Neo X8 pluS. Extremely happy with performance. We had started out with a dongle (called gr8 stream) purchased from a home show that was preloaded with a version of xbmc/KODI. It was an impulse buy. We had done some streaming on our iPad's but had never heard of KODI. The device worked OK for a time, although there some issues with buffering/stuttering. We had to limit use as it would overheat and eventually it stopped working altogether. Before we got the replacement, I did some research and decided to purchase the Minix and the performance was significantly better. compact, powerful and it doesn't overheat. I could have saved some dough (and customization time) if I had gotten a box that wasn't pre-loaded, but the Minix isn't sold that way. That's the only downside.

jonzen

Sep 1, 2015
3 raspberry pi 2's running openelec 6.0.3 1 with 8tb hdd's connected and kodi libraries set up for movies and tv on them upnp and samba share on works flawlessly is fast all 3 smart tv's in the house pick up kodi upnp and samba share have pi 3 due in 3/16 from amazon can't wait am going to use it as plex server maybe, not sure yet

Rickt1962

Oct 30, 2013
3 raspberry pi 2's running openelec 6.0.3 1 with 8tb hdd's connected and kodi libraries set up for movies and tv on them upnp and samba share on works flawlessly is fast all 3 smart tv's in the house pick up kodi upnp and samba share have pi 3 due in 3/16 from amazon can't wait am going to use it as plex server maybe, not sure yet
My setup is almost exact to yours ! Many Pi's 1 and 2's with Samsung DVD player with PLEX.
Used to use smb with my Main PC as my Kodi server. Since then Purchased WDmyCloud 4tb and WDmybook 4tb both plugged in together ! Dropped smb now use NAS which is 10 times faster ! Click on any movie and its instantly plays not one second wait.

Purchased HDhomerun 3 tuner for Comcast it runs 24/7 like a puppy mill saving and automatically removes commercials with MCEbuddy :) then buddy files them with nfo's on my WDmycloud server
Dropped PLEX I rather run everything off of Raspberry Pi's since KODI can play Live HD TV shows from HDhomerun

This runs 6 Flat screen HD TV's around the house on a gig Ethernet.

Getting back to answering the original question ! LOL

Have 2 homes 1 is vacation that home has 8' C-band dish linked with a diqsue switch to 36" Ku dish all running on Android STB's that have Kodi brand is Vigica box's. They do not have enough memory for my Library so they also have Raspberry Pi2's on each TV all hooked up to DSL Verizon.

I have also set up Amazon sticks for family. So pretty much work across all platforms ! It seems 90% of the people on here use KODI for streaming. Most Kodi boxes will not handle my library :( they now collect dust ! LOL still use them for FTA

Last edited:

Digital Dog

Mar 22, 2014
Voyo quad-core running windows 8.1 intel baytrail 3735f for about 100.00 good machine . Better than any of the other android boxes I've had and is 4k. battery backup as well Love it.

nunyabiz

Mar 20, 2016
I use both my old PC and old laptop.
Just took out both hard drives and replaced with a new 250gb Samsung SD drive.
Using Linux on both and they are blazing fast, both reboot in about 15 seconds, tons of room and cache, plenty of video card, run smooth as silk.
I bought a Amazon firestick but was not very impressed with it, was just bit too slow, no cache whatsoever, kodi just overwhelms it.
Will use it when we travel, will be perfect for that.
A laptop is perfect its small, flat, fits anywhere, just look on Craigslist for an old laptop that has a decent video card can probably find one for $50 or less then pop in the cheapest SD hard drive you can buy, load up Umbuntu and then Kodi and you have the perfect Kodi box faster and better than anything else you can buy.

Xray

Oct 12, 2015
I have 2 60" TVs, 4K in my bedroom I use Nvidia shield, very slick box I like it.
Basement TV I have the amazon firebox, I like that too and nice to be able to access amazon content like pics. I use wired connections for both and buffering issues are minimal.
I also have a TV in the front room but it isn't used that much, I have a firestick floating around somewhere, may slap that on there one of these days.

calisto

May 8, 2012
Have got two AS Rock Beebox 3000's running OE 6.95.1 & two Raspberry Pi 2's running OE, all connected to a 10tb Server running Freenas

MetalKettle

Banned
Oct 5, 2015
Every capable device in my house lol:

Dell based HTPC
Wetek Play
Nividia Shield
T8
Minix z86
Iphone 5s
Galaxy S7
Raspberry Pi 3
Amiko A3

chief

Feb 15, 2016
my main HTPC is an (old) acer office system running a dual core @2.60 GHz with 2Gig RAM. with Win 7 ultimate 32bit.
this one does all my HTPC needs: runs Kodi, runs my MYsQL database, has all my music and movies on it, provides the back ups for my other kodi systems, controls my network printer and act as network storage for all i download on all my network based devices. (except my phone)
i watch 1080 streams with 5.1 sound without any problems, lag. buffering and what so ever.

i also have an all in one pc at my office room, quad core, 6 Gig RAM, Win7 ultimate 64bit.
kodi usage on this one is mostly for music (my own library, streaming online music and streaming music video's)

i also have a very old laptop which i use everywhere. Acer aspire 5315 with single core Cpu @1,73GHz and 2 Gig RAM. with Windows XP32Bit.
i use it to watch 720 Stereo streams (higher causes problems.. lol)

for the bedroom i have a Lenovo Tablet quadcore 1,73Ghz 2Gig RAM.

in my Garden i have a Chinese tronsmart knockoff Android box dual core @1,5GHz 1 Gig RAM.
i only watch SD (DVD) streams with this one bigger causes problems due to wifi distance.

and lastly my phone (don't use kodi that much on the phone though..) Doogee X5 quadcore 1 gig ram. (yes.. cheap <$60 chinese phone... i always crack screens, crack the whole phone loose them, drop them in the water.. so no more expensive phones for me.. ;) )

ow.. and my home internet connection is also low grade.. 11Mbs at best...on a good day... with luck....

to experience a great kodi experience you don't need high power machines, just a good setup...(granted, i don't watch 4K)

Status
Not open for further replies.